[Event] 24 Hours Of Oak Valley

Dirtopia MTB Events

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would make for interesting racing. The previous route was simple in that regard: 5km to the top, and coast down. Just carry enough momentum to get up the one short steep rise at around 8km, and you've effectively soft pedaled for 15 minutes before tackling the next lap. With one or 2 surprises on the 2nd half, the mental strength of the solo racers may well be tested.

Interesting how you mention surprises and mental strength in one sentence.

The Bike Hub team is registered and ready to have fun.

We'll be in branded kit, so please say "Hi" if you spot one of us. It's always good to put a face to a username.

I am not sure you would want to see my face at 9 on Sunday morning.

I am not sure you would want to see my face at 9 on Sunday morning.

...huffing and puffing up a 7% gradient ????

Great event, detour route was presently surprising!

Couple of racing snakes who were rather agro out on the course. Sleep deprivation makes some of them a bit grumpy.

To whoever took my battery charger from the charging station I am sure you did by accident?. It has white cable ties on it, please if you could message me I would really like it back. Having my battery die at 3am at the top of the climb is not something I would like to repeat. Thanks to the Dirtopia staff for finding Meurants bike and giving us his battery pack - we were able to continue the night riding!

Great event, detour route was presently surprising!

Couple of racing snakes who were rather agro out on the course. Sleep deprivation makes some of them a bit grumpy.

To whoever took my battery charger from the charging station I am sure you did by accident?. It has white cable ties on it, please if you could message me I would really like it back. Having my battery die at 3am at the top of the climb is not something I would like to repeat. Thanks to the Dirtopia staff for finding Meurants bike and giving us his battery pack - we were able to continue the night riding!

Oh, so it was you my wife talked to. Charging stations were I bit iffy. Not up to the same standard as last year, and less people also.

Route was good, except for those bump grassy sections.

Damn, I am moeg. And it is not the legs. It is the sun, sleep deprivation and my fingers that cramped. And I did only 5 laps (Fun Team). To mister 31 laps: you are an animal.

Edited by Moridin

...and less people also.

Route was good, except for those bump grassy sections.

To mister 31 laps: you are an animal.

Iron man, Ashburton, Oakvalley. Seems like a crazy weekend of sport.

I liked this new route. More pedally bits coming down from the top and more passing opportunities, although I hated those bumps too, all 31 times I rode them!

I didn't mind the new route too much - there was plenty of space to go past (or be passed).  The grassy lumpy crap at the top was horrible, especially that one lap in the middle of the night that I rode with my fork locked out without realizing...  The downhill part was a good kind of sketchy fun - worked out my lines in the first few laps so that I could go down there without touching the brakes at all.  That led to some 'interesting' moments.  Adrenalin is good for staying awake right?

In the end I managed 21 laps and got my gold medal.  I definitely could have benefited from not doing an Everest challenge last weekend...

Great going Velouria - you're a machine! 

I was grateful for not having to do that punchy climb out of the single track after the dam. The worst climbing (the stretch past the ferns, and the last bit out of the ST just before the little dam) so close to each other started to hurt on Sunday.

The vibe was awesome, Lime bar, the pancake people and the coffee guys did an amazing job throughout the night into Sunday.

Well done to each and all. Everyone were giving track where possible, and the friendly banter was always appreciated.

I quite enjoyed the bumpy bit (probably the only time my 140mm travel benefitted me in a non-technical course).

I look forward to the Simonsberg Contour next weekend!

Roll on Friday!!!

This was my first 24 oak, and first long  solo

The bumpy track killed me at the end, blew my knee on the 13 th lap  (i'm roady, not used to standing so long) , went to rest it for 3 hrs in the freezing cold, tried one more lap and could not even stand on paddles ..

So managed 14 laps, was still feeling strong after sorting out food/drink routine so bit of let down.  Bring on 36one!.

Thanks to wifey for support, think she suffered more than me!

I think I figured out how to do this thing. You must just go till you blow, and then do that last lap as slow as possible to finish after 12 on Sunday. This sleeping in the tent and then doing another lap at 3h45 in the morning just messes with your head and body. I was having a cold fever in my tent whilst trying to sleep.

This was my first 24 oak, and first long  solo

The bumpy track killed me at the end, blew my knee on the 13 th lap  (i'm roady, not used to standing so long) , went to rest it for 3 hrs in the freezing cold, tried one more lap and could not even stand on paddles ..

So managed 14 laps, was still feeling strong after sorting out food/drink routine so bit of let down.  Bring on 36one!.

Thanks to wifey for support, think she suffered more than me!

Don't sell us roadies short ;)

The backup and support crews make this event possible. I reckon it's easier to ride than have to worry about nutrition, fluid intake, timing, strategy etc. In fact, Meurant told me to give my prize money to my wife, as she is the real star ;)

No complaints on the route, understand the issues with all those wheels and the rain that came.

was definitely an easier lap, not as challenging but loads more overtaking slots.

I was very impressed that Meurant went to the trouble of putting a waterpoint on the top of the route for us, but very disappointed when the Ashburton okes came and packed it up on about lap 4!

Was on course for my goal of 20 laps, but ran out of steam at about 10am so ended up with 17.

Must say it was very boring to see the leaders riding together so nicely...what happened to duking it out for the win?!

good honest sufferfest...nothing better!

Also want to say that I totally missed having the school section a bit watered down...PRG vs parel vallei last year was awesome to watch.

Those lighties are damn polite.

Also want to say that I totally missed having the school section a bit watered down...PRG vs parel vallei last year was awesome to watch.

Those lighties are damn polite.

It was not just watered down, it was damn right completely taken away. PV coach were told that the school riders may only ride in Fun teams, and were not allowed to actually race. So all the PV teams had parents riding as part of the team. Our team were comprised of me and my wife, my 2 schoolboys and another boy. We managed to ride 25 laps as a team, though we could have done 28 if my 2 boys did not get sick with the runs through the night.

Apparently some riders last year complained that the schoolboys were riding too aggressive.

No complaints on the route, understand the issues with all those wheels and the rain that came.

was definitely an easier lap, not as challenging but loads more overtaking slots.

I was very impressed that Meurant went to the trouble of putting a waterpoint on the top of the route for us, but very disappointed when the Ashburton okes came and packed it up on about lap 4!

Was on course for my goal of 20 laps, but ran out of steam at about 10am so ended up with 17.

Must say it was very boring to see the leaders riding together so nicely...what happened to duking it out for the win?!

good honest sufferfest...nothing better!

I can't tell if the new lap was easier or harder than the old lap. I rode just as hard, and kakked off just much. I am however grateful that I didn't ride my hardtail!

Just because we were riding together doesn't mean we weren't duking it out. This event is only about 40% physical, the rest is all mind games, strategy and mental toughness.

It was not just watered down, it was damn right completely taken away. PV coach were told that the school riders may only ride in Fun teams, and were not allowed to actually race. So all the PV teams had parents riding as part of the team. Our team were comprised of me and my wife, my 2 schoolboys and another boy. We managed to ride 25 laps as a team, though we could have done 28 if my 2 boys did not get sick with the runs through the night.

Apparently some riders last year complained that the schoolboys were riding too aggressive.

I don't have a problem with aggression - I have a problem with manners. And while I can deal with a schoolboy being a bit rude, it wasn't cool seeing moms and their kids being yelled at to get off the track. Win, but keep it cordial.