Chainline - does this seem legit?

Rouxenator

Upgraded to a SRAM HX GXP 1x crank yesterday and while everything works fine I am a bit concerned about the chainline, especially when on the biggest (42t) gear at the back. 

post-38519-0-15803000-1482309483_thumb.jpg

post-38519-0-22670000-1482309502_thumb.jpg

post-38519-0-11879300-1482309511_thumb.jpg

post-38519-0-90366200-1482309518_thumb.jpg

post-38519-0-69032000-1482309527_thumb.jpg

Does that seem right?

Fwiw...I used a 6mm offset chainring to get mine more straight (direct mount). My friend just did his upgrade on Monday and his chainline looks a lot lime yours. The mechanic (a pro team mechanic) said it can be made better with spacers but it is not worth the bother. With mine I can back pedal and it stays on the same cog, with his it jumps down.

So maybe ride it and decide.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Only had it on 11km of tar this morning, planning to take it offroad after work so then I'll see how it goes. Not too keen on spacers, I just don't understand why they would build a 1x specific crank and have the chainline out that far.

The chainline might cause excesive wear on the components, the reason why I changed from the 0mm offset to 6mm.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

digging the hosepipe!

but ja, that looks too squiff

I'll be more concerned about those pedals :ph34r:

all I see is a hosepipe...

That hosepipe is the best chain slap you'll ever get.

I'm riding those Wellgo flats because my Saint flats are getting a service. Flat pedals FTW!

one of the hardest things to try photograph.. a chain line  

Yup, very hard. Much easier to take pics of hosepipes and flat pedals. 

Upgraded to a SRAM HX GXP 1x crank yesterday and while everything works fine I am a bit concerned about the chainline, especially when on the biggest (42t) gear at the back.

attachicon.gifIMG_20161221_064435300.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20161221_064417440.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20161221_064406119.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20161221_064345372.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20161221_064506479.jpg

Does that seem right?

Nice clear pics. What rear cog is it on when the chain is dead straight? Should be on the middle, 5th or 6th from small. If it makes a noise when in granny then it is also wearing fast.

You can bring the chainring inboard by putting spacer washers between spider and ring. What type of chainring is fitted?

You may also be able to move your BB spacer to the non-drive side.

If you space it in too far you can tell because the chain will start clicking against the shift ramps when you are in your smaller cogs at the back and no amount of fiddling with shifter cable adjustments will fix it 'cos that ticking noise comes from the top of the cog as the chain lifts off it.

Suggest you go on SRAM's site and look up the chainline specs for your old and new cranks as a starting point. It will tell you if you should consider doing anything.

Final check.... is your rear wheel correctly aligned and cassette properly fitted. Some freewheel hubs need spacer rings under the cassette.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

This is the problem with older bikes and modern gear.

Bikes nowadays have off set chain stays built to help with chain lines 

All I can suggest is a smaller chainring so you can use spacers to get it as close to the frame as possible.

But depeding on where you live a smaller chainring may not work for you. ( hills vs. flats)

What would the weight advantage be between a hosepipe and a old tube?

"Asking for a friend" ????

Enjoy the 1x, hope you come right with the alignment. Dropping a chain with a derailleur isn't too bad but on 1x it's a ball ache.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

What would the weight advantage be between a hosepipe and a old tube?

"Asking for a friend"

Enjoy the 1x, hope you come right with the alignment. Dropping a chain with a derailleur isn't too bad but on 1x it's a ball ache.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

tube would be lighter

BUT buy a neoprine guard from your LBS they weigh nothing (much less than a tube) and they last forever 

You can spend 100bucks a lot worse ;)

Archived