Insurance for bicycles

Cyc-liast

Good day fellow cyclist,

Do you make use of insurance for your bicycle?

If yes, what is the best insurance for bicycle in terms of cover and price?

If no, why don't you have insurance for your bicycle?

I am conducting a research paper and would appreciate your feedback.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.

I phone my insurance  guy ( he is also a cyclist) and tell him that I built a new bike and this is the cost it would take to replace it.

He just says  :thumbup:  and the next day mail me my amended insurance papers.  

Sometimes I send him  photos of the bike and frame number as proof because I double up en overdo everything.  But he does not ask for it. 

Edited by IH8MUD

Yes - Santam - Insurance good and proper, through a broker. Not the cheapest but I am happy. Never had any issue with a claim to date.

I use Santam for my road bike, paid out twice without any questions in less than a week. Icylce on my mtb, paying R260 for R50k, took a bit longer to pay out, about 3 weeks and want the old parts/bike back, but cant complain.

Yes - Santam - Insurance good and proper, through a broker. Not the cheapest but I am happy. Never had any issue with a claim to date.

Heard from my Santam broker that they only insure bicycles to a max of R30 000.  Is this the case with you as well?

Heard from my Santam broker that they only insure bicycles to a max of R30 000.  Is this the case with you as well?

You can insure with Santam for more than R30k but the excess increases for any amount above R29 999. if i remember correctly the excess is R2500. Normally between R250 and R500

Not sure, probably about R 900.00 give or take, bit ask Myles.

Jeeeeeezuz that's way too high!

Thats like 22%

You should be in the R200 to R300 pm range for a R50k bike depending on cover type.

All bikes covered on my household policy with Santam. Fully compatible, and have to update replacement purchase price every 3 months or so given that the Rand fluctuates so much... pay around R450 for R90k replacement cover and around R220 for R40k bike. 

Would include any bike I purchase on my policy just for peace of mind. Have never had to claim before.

Tom

Bike is with Santam as well. R 130 000 with a R300 monthly premium. Excess is R 2 500. Have never had problems with them.

Must add that it is insure through my parents policy thats about 30 years old.