2017 Cape Epic Route SUCKS!

Mohs

I actually liked to stay in one place for 2 nights instead of having the hassle to find your bag, unpack and pack again each and every day...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hemel and aarde, Oakvalley and all these places are set in one of the most beautiful valleys in the world...dont take me wrong...since the start of the Epic, we all got hooked on the new Unexplored terraine that was shown to us by the "epic riders"...I want to go see places that you will never be able to ride As it was in the past.

That is why I feel its lost the adventure side of it with this Particular route thats almost an exact copy of W2W. Last year was much better with the different areas covered.

But as mentioned by other hubbers, with Iron-man/chinese big shots it is not going to be the same. Anyway have lekke weekend

And scene

Sad but true...luckily Joburg-2 Sea-still has that vibe going...for now.

Yes ,and the big corporations got the cold shoulder from the organizers when they wanted it to become their newest client incentive scheme .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hemel and aarde, Oakvalley and all these places are set in one of the most beautiful valleys in the world...dont take me wrong...since the start of the Epic, we all got hooked on the new Unexplored terraine that was shown to us by the "epic riders"...I want to go see places that you will never be able to ride As it was in the past.

That is why I feel its lost the adventure side of it with this Particular route thats almost an exact copy of W2W. Last year was much better with the different areas covered.

But as mentioned by other hubbers, with Iron-man/chinese big shots it is not going to be the same. Anyway have lekke weekend

And scene

I guess there are different preferences. The 'older' Epic routes covered a lot of distance on district roads or jeep tracks up and down the mountains. Long and tough but limited single track. In the last years that ratio changed towards more single track. It seems a natural choice to use established trail centers and maybe build something new, pep up existing, and use routes in the area that are normally not accessible. Staying 2 or 3 nights in one location doesn't upset me in this context. Ridng a mix of rad trails and climbing silly hills, hell yeah, bring it on :)

But it is my first Epic this year so I can only theorize... anyway...my 2c

I guess there are different preferences. The 'older' Epic routes covered a lot of distance on district roads or jeep tracks up and down the mountains. Long and tough but limited single track. In the last years that ratio changed towards more single track. It seems a natural choice to use established trail centers and maybe build something new, pep up existing, and use routes in the area that are normally not accessible. Staying 2 or 3 nights in one location doesn't upset me in this context. Ridng a mix of rad trails and climbing silly hills, hell yeah, bring it on :)

But it is my first Epic this year so I can only theorize... anyway...my 2c

Cant argue with that, good point. Good luck with your race and team and enjoy!

...Its called 'Figure of speech' Hill drop.....but if you don't understand the letter Or the point of this topic dont comment...

Moaning but yet still paying and still going - no one forces you to do it - CHOICES

Moaning but yet still paying and still going - no one forces you to do it - CHOICES

I am not doing the race, I never wrote that, You are cleary missing the point. I live the sport and follow it very closely. The route choice for 2017, for me personnally is a bit of a dissapointment because of so many other races that are held there almost every weekend. The Epic use to be like the Dakar rally, new unexplored/unridden terrain...Entry fee is not the issue here.

On one side we want 'new' routes, remote locations and location to location riding, on the other hand we want live coverage / streaming, pristine race villages and accessibility to get supporters and crew in and out (without supporters etc at the finish line, broadcasting might as well be canned as there will be zero vibe). The mere fact that the event sells out in less than 2 minutes after entries open, with the routes not even finalized tells you that the route is not the first priority. In a world with ever increasing 'experts' airing their views on social media and other platforms, institutions more and more need to filter out the noise from the real needs from their clientele. The fact that more than 60% of the field are return clientele shows that they are doing much more right than what the armchair army would like to concede.

Why do MTBers have an obsession with ST?

Given the choice between the Cape Epic and Trans Cape, I would do the Trans Cape.

That's an interesting question. I think I enjoy the races that offer a nice mix. I like the focus and concentration and the kind of rhythm i get into on a nice stretch of technical single track and then it's nice to have the relative relief of a road and the enjoyment of grinding out some kilometers at a different pace on a gravel road.

Given the choice between the Cape Epic and Trans Cape, I would do the Trans Cape.

It makes for better racing than doing gravel for 140 km, with a bunch sprint for the stage.

I'm not saying there should be no ST, but I think clever use of ST sections in a race can make it interesting, without making it frustrating when you have to sit behind someone for long sections. And don't tell me I must be faster. You get some really fast riders, that totally bogs down when they come to technical sections.

So I like ST in middle and end sections of a race, but not at the very start when riders are still bunched up from the start. You can still have a great race with jeep track and open road sections.

It is just that at each race the organisers only talk about the amazing sections of ST that they have put into the route.

Archived