Bike Rack

monadnock

Hi hubbers

New to mtb'ing.

I am looking for a bike rack for a Fortuner. Will mostly carry one mtb, and an additional kids bike on the odd weekend/holiday trip.

What would you recommend?

I am happy to go for second hand, would just like to know if there are other Fortuner owners out there that can give some advice.

I am 100% sure a rooftop one would lead to serious damage. I can be forgetful.

Behind the vehicle racks will be better for me.

I am 100% sure a rooftop one would lead to serious damage. I can be forgetful.

Behind the vehicle racks will be better for me.

You could build one? Depends on the design, but I've built a few for trailers... Can't be too hard though, I might build a towbar one this year

Hi monadnock

I own a Fortuner and have a Thule Velo Comopact 3 Bike. Often go riding with my wife but can easily fit three mountain bikes if need be. Its a great rack which allows you to tilt the rack and still open the boot while the bikes are on. You can get a 2 bike rack..

Just with the Fortuner if you are going to get these type of bike racks, you will also need to get a plate to raise the tow hitch up. Apparently Fortuner owners have had problems with the hot exhaust pipe fumes melting the rack on the standard tow hitch height. I got this plate at Outdoor Warehouse.

Thule platform rack is the best way to go in my opinion! Can't go wrong, bikes secured and not dangling in the wind !

I reckon the holdfast platform racks are great. I have one on my wife's car, and will be getting another holdfast for my trailer soon. Just as stable as Thule, and way better value.

With the Fortuner the exhaust gasses blow onto the bikes wheels. You can either get a drop plate to raise it (don't let it's name fool you) or you can deflect the exhaust gasses. To deflect the gas you just take the 'Tuna to an exhaust place and have them weld a deflecting end tip onto it. This is IMO the best solution.

As mentioned above. And being an ex. Fortuner owner be very aware of the exhaust and what part of the bike might be in its direct path. I made a simple plate for my Thule. But eventually went to an exhaust shop and had them put a downpipe tailpiece. Was under R150 bucks.

I live by the BDF cycling pledge. One day. Every day. #9Rules

If you go Thule platform - I can highly reccommend Velo Compact 3 - just make sure to buy a 3 bike carrier and not 2. Although the 2 bike can fit 2 bikes it can become very tight with certain shapes of bikes. I find the 3 bike version takes alot less fidling and sukeling to get 2 bikes on, and does give you the option of carrying 3 bikes on holidays as well as a 4th with an extra fitting from Thule.

With all the bikes being stolen off Thule racks, is it really a viable option?

Yes it is, Just don't leave your bike unattended else if you have to, do not rely on the thule bike locks and put your own chains and locks instead to deter thieves to go looking for easier pickings!

Archived