Inbetween sizes

Bitsy

Hello guys,

I have been riding MTB for about 2 years now and want to get a Road bike.

My MTB is a Scott Scale 940 sized at "Medium". I enjoy the fit and feel very comfortable on the bike.

My stats: 

- height = 171cm

- inseam = 78cm

- weight = 83 kg

- waist = 36

When I started checking out sizing for the new Road Bike, I realized I have a little dilemma :(

Most of the charts I have looked at places my height towards a 54cm but my inseam puts me back at a 51cm bike size.

I want to use the bike for the training and the occasional road race- 947, Argus 

Therefore, I will probably lean towards comfort over hardcore performance and remain an intermediate cyclist. 

The two bikes I was considering are the BMC SLR vs Cannondale CAAD 12

What are your thoughts- Would a 51 or 54 suite me better?

Hello guys,

I have been riding MTB for about 2 years now and want to get a Road bike.

My MTB is a Scott Scale 940 sized at "Medium". I enjoy the fit and feel very comfortable on the bike.

My stats: 

- height = 171cm

- inseam = 78cm

- weight = 83 kg

- waist = 36

When I started checking out sizing for the new Road Bike, I realized I have a little dilemma :(

Most of the charts I have looked at places my height towards a 54inch but my inseam puts me back at a 51inch bike size.

I want to use the bike for the training and the occasional road race- 947, Argus 

Therefore, I will probably lean towards comfort over hardcore performance and remain an intermediate cyclist. 

The two bikes I was considering are the BMC SLR vs Cannondale CAAD 12

What are your thoughts- Would a 51 or 54 suite me better?

Start searching in new places, sheesh.  :eek:

You probably meant "cm"

But to be honest, you should look at the less racy bikes and more to the comfort bikes. They are made just as sporty, just with slacker geometry. 

Check out the TREK bikes, I know they have a H1 and H2 geometry (dont have all the details)

H1 is more racy and H2 is more comfort. At your length you should be on anything from a 50 to a 53, depending on the frame geometry.

Go with the smaller bike and have a high seat post and stem etc. It is easier to make a small bike a bit bigger with stem and seat post, than a bigger bike smaller.

Buy a Bianchi.

LOL... This solution seems perfect, but for which model is this though? The different models has different geometries depending on ride comfort/racing/etc...

LOL... This solution seems perfect, but for which model is this though? The different models has different geometries depending on ride comfort/racing/etc...

Yeah, I was being a touch facetious. It's just their general sizing chart. Not model specific.

(I am biased)...

thanks for the responses guys....

@cfcjim- looks like Bianchi and I are made for each other :)  Pity Its just way out of my budget though.

I perfectly fit a 53cm on the chart, hence it may seem that the 54cm on the Cannondale/BMC would work better.

Go with the smaller bike and have a high seat post and stem etc. It is easier to make a small bike a bit bigger with stem and seat post, than a bigger bike smaller.

Not true and, sorry to say, not good advice. A too long stem can and most likely will be a bit of a disaster. A seatpost that is too high will put quite a bit of strain on the other tubes and will result in a not ideal position over the pedal spindle.

As long as you have standover it will probably be better to make a bigger bike fit with a shorter stem. But then you will need to invest in different cranks ( to correct crank arm length) 

BUT

Stem length, seatpost, etc is only meant to be shorter or longer in order to make THE RIGHT SIZE BIKE fit properly. It's not meant to make a bike size work for you.

To the OP: In terms of sizing and not making a mistake rather go for a proper fit and then make a call. Online calculators date from the dark ages and have not really been updated to modern bike design and what we know today. Other than black and weight measurements it  doesn't take into account your body, injuries, flexibility and simply where and how you fel comfortable. Quite a few manufacturers will have an option available somewhere between 51 and 54 and not all 51's are 51.

So go for a fit.

OP, go and try the sizes. you need to make sure the amount of stretch is also within your comfort zone. Nothing looks crappier than a way too big road bike with a 50mm mtb stem or the saddle on the top tube to get the reach and seat height comfortable. Road bikes are a lot easier to fit when they are maybe just smaller than the exact size (if the perfect size is not possible)

Not true and, sorry to say, not good advice. A too long stem can and most likely will be a bit of a disaster. A seatpost that is too high will put quite a bit of strain on the other tubes and will result in a not ideal position over the pedal spindle.

As long as you have standover it will probably be better to make a bigger bike fit with a shorter stem. But then you will need to invest in different cranks ( to correct crank arm length) 

BUT

Stem length, seatpost, etc is only meant to be shorter or longer in order to make THE RIGHT SIZE BIKE fit properly. It's not meant to make a bike size work for you.

To the OP: In terms of sizing and not making a mistake rather go for a proper fit and then make a call. Online calculators date from the dark ages and have not really been updated to modern bike design and what we know today. Other than black and weight measurements it  doesn't take into account your body, injuries, flexibility and simply where and how you fel comfortable. Quite a few manufacturers will have an option available somewhere between 51 and 54 and not all 51's are 51.

So go for a fit.

alot of good advice in this post!

it will be the best R800 you spend. AND they will most likely do a check up for a much reduced amount for your new bike.

let us know how it goes

My stats:

- height = 172cm

- inseam = 79cm

I ride a Medium Giant XTC, I'm borderline Small or medium, but extending the seatpost to far is dangerous as Iwan said.

I ride a 54cm Felt F95 with a 100mm stem and 172.5mm crank, I went for a proper measuring session before I got the bike and had a set up done. the only thing I've changed on the setup was to lower my brake hoods.

here is the geometry of my bike

Head Tube Angle

Seat Tube Angle

Top Tube Horizontal

Top Tube Center to Center

Head Tube Length

Seat Tube Center to Top

Seat Tube Center to Center

Bottom Bracket Drop

Chainstay Length

Front Center

Wheelbase

Rake

Standover Height

Hi guys,

So I went for the 51cm BMC. Did a bike fit and it feels good. As mentioned, I have never ridden road bikes before, so I will only really know once I complete one or two longer rides whether the setup is 100% correct. It turns out that the BMC geometry on the SLR is bigger than other bike manufactures....its top tube is 53cm on the 51cm spec.

I was very impressed with the service i received from Ian at DesignInMotion cycles (Morningside). He was able to only source the BMC SLR02 105 in a 54cm. Although it would have been a "fit" since I was overlapping, he really took time to check out the geometry to ensure it would suite me best. In his professional capacity, he actually advised me not to take the 54cm even though it cost him the sale. 

He was giving me the bike around R26k which is a steal for a full carbon and bike of the year 2015. It was also runner up 2016. 

So if someone is a 54cm...contact him quickly!

thanks for the responses guys....

@cfcjim- looks like Bianchi and I are made for each other :)  Pity Its just way out of my budget though.

I perfectly fit a 53cm on the chart, hence it may seem that the 54cm on the Cannondale/BMC would work better.

There is only 1 way to know which one you like better.... especially if you are between sizes (and I am) - RIDE the bikes in both sizes.... a lot - you will quickly know which one suits you best.

With those measurements I would go 52cm. 53cm at most. I am 1.78m, and I ride a Large Specialized Mtb which fits beautifully, and a 54cm Cannondale road bike on which I feel very stretched out. 

Archived