2017 gut and distance

Still a very good result.

I can feel how my weight makes a massive difference. Imagine have half a bag of cement on your back and then go and race.

That is my current situation.

Even in my racing days my best weight was 78kg versus my mates weighing 65 kg.

On the hills I always suffered. Period.

So on a hilly or windy race I was always hiding.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So on a hilly or windy race I was always hiding.

Even in ideal conditions, you should be hiding. Why work when you could not work  :devil: Thats what you have the try-hards for. Abuse them until they pop...or blow you off their wheels

Still a very good result.

I can feel how my weight makes a massive difference. Imagine have half a bag of cement on your back and then go and race.

try 2 full bags of 25 kg each...about where i was when i started cycling @ at around 132 kg :(

the shova challenge is over...no more races for this year...now the real challenge begins...to keep off what i have lost and finish what i set out to do at the beginning of this year.

100 miles/160 km is a long ride...lucky for me it is not a race just a distance to complete in 1 day...it cant be that difficult...i need to make sure i dont make the same mistake i did when i attempted my first 100 km ride...i got on the bike... left home...no planned route just a figue in my head...thanks to a good mate who took on the challenge with me we eventually got the the 100 km mark 6 and half hours later (elapsed time)

i need to plan this one a little better...any volunteers to join me?

it will be more of an adventure ride...explore roads/routes i have never ridden etc...i am so over riding the the same ol same ol  routes.

the shova challenge is over...no more races for this year...now the real challenge begins...to keep off what i have lost and finish what i set out to do at the beginning of this year.

100 miles/160 km is a long ride...lucky for me it is not a race just a distance to complete in 1 day...it cant be that difficult...i need to make sure i dont make the same mistake i did when i attempted my first 100 km ride...i got on the bike... left home...no planned route just a figue in my head...thanks to a good mate who took on the challenge with me we eventually got the the 100 km mark 6 and half hours later (elapsed time)

it will be more of an adventure ride...explore roads/routes i have never ridden etc...i am so over riding the the same ol same ol  routes.

find the next event then, something tough, durban dash or race to rhodes or something like that where you will be a lot more challenged to just finish than a chilled race like Shova.

find the next event then, something tough, durban dash or race to rhodes or something like that where you will be a lot more challenged to just finish than a chilled race like Shova.

not looking for a race...just a chilled 160 km fun adventure ride.

when i am ready...this will be the ultimate challenge...to join these cyclist for this ride.

http://ubhejanex.co.za/2016/11/09/kzn-cyclists-ride-for-rhinos-at-2016-ubhejane-xtreme-mtb-challenge/

100 miles/160 km is a long ride...lucky for me it is not a race just a distance to complete in 1 day...it cant be that difficult..

It all depends on your mind... and how you feel on the day. If you going to jump from 100km to 160km then your mind may just decide to shut your body down. Extra 60km is +/- 3 hours, as you start to slow down towards the end.

Start early when its still cool, and pace yourself for the first 4 hours.

Perhaps consider an A to B route, rather than a loop, and have someone pick you up at B to get you home. maybe even throw in a nice lunch at B before heading home. It'll give you an opportunity to explore some new roads/areas and also have less of that outward and homeward halves. It's also a great way to make the ride more 'significant' in a way. "I cycled all the way to B", rather than left the house and arrived back alter, a bit tired and sweaty.

It all depends on your mind... and how you feel on the day. If you going to jump from 100km to 160km then your mind may just decide to shut your body down. Extra 60km is +/- 3 hours, as you start to slow down towards the end.

Start early when its still cool, and pace yourself for the first 4 hours.

My longest ride is 130 km this year....and the 119.9 km a couple weeks ago...I know what you mean...that little extra seems so insignificant until you actually do it.

I will have to twist toms arm...get him off his trainer and back on the road.

the other option is to bait yourself and find something that looks amazing to ride, like a cycle tour in Europe, or something closer to home and basically set a target weight, and when you hit it you allow yourself to enter the event and go enjoy. Could be something like 1Zambia where the rewards is then a few days fishing after the event, or Mauritius cycle tour and you then get a holiday after the race as part of reward.

100 miles/160 km is a long ride...lucky for me it is not a race just a distance to complete in 1 day...it cant be that difficult...

I've only done 150km+ once and it was dead pan flat. So take this from whence is comes.

For me there's an ocean of difference between a 50km ride and a 100km ride. And there's an even bigger ocean between 100km and 150km.

If you use weight training as an example. a 5kg dumbell is easy. 10kg. Easy. 15kg. Not so much. 20kg really tough etc. The difference between 15kg and 20kg is much bigger than the difference between 5kg and 10kg. 

You'll have to take a long hard look at how you are going to feed and hydrate on the bike.

Having said all that I Fked myself up yesterday in under 4km so everything is relative.

My longest ride is 130 km this year....and the 119.9 km a couple weeks ago...I know what you mean...that little extra seems so insignificant until you actually do it.

I will have to twist toms arm...get him off his trainer and back on the road.

Hmmm... I think you will be fine. Yes, it will be tough but it sounds like you are prepared for that. And it's not like you are jumping into it from an 80km ride! I think you understand your inner cyclist well enough. Pace yourself in the beginning and keep reminding yourself how far you need to go, make sure you fuel yourself from the beginning and enjoy the adventure! 

Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

spoken to the right person who is the master of long distance riding in our group...he is keen to help with the build up to 160 km ...he will spend time out on the road with me preparing for it...and it looks like we have a date for it to happen...on a route which i have never ridden before...getting excited :)

Perhaps consider an A to B route, rather than a loop, and have someone pick you up at B to get you home. maybe even throw in a nice lunch at B before heading home. It'll give you an opportunity to explore some new roads/areas and also have less of that outward and homeward halves. It's also a great way to make the ride more 'significant' in a way. "I cycled all the way to B", rather than left the house and arrived back alter, a bit tired and sweaty.

This makes perfect sense.  Get dropped off and you are on your own.  You will make it, especially if you ride with Tom.  He is a machine of note!

When are you planning this, might like to join if possible?

spoken to the right person who is the master of long distance riding in our group...he is keen to help with the build up to 160 km ...he will spend time out on the road with me preparing for it...and it looks like we have a date for it to happen...on a route which i have never ridden before...getting excited :)

Goodluck, you cant go wrong with Tom. just be prepared to hit the roads at 3am.

Thats what we did when training for Letape on 160-170km rides, you get back "early" in the day so the heat doesnt kill you. 

Oh and you know he doesnt ride flat roads, so be prepared to climb a bit.

All the best.

Archived