Supplements for recovery

Americo

HI Guys

What supplements do you suggest to speed up the recovery?

I was thinking to get some Beta Alanine,Glutamine,Citruline.

Thanks 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was supplement-crazy when I started cycling. I only do about 10 hours a week and found that recovery supplements were not aiding me in any noticeable way, so I stopped using the recovery shakes and other stuff. I now focus on maintaining a balanced diet and to listen to my body, i.e. rest when I am tired opposed to thinking that some recovery shake is going to fix it.

How many hours of riding do you do in a week and at what intensity do you ride?

I was supplement-crazy when I started cycling. I only do about 10 hours a week and found that recovery supplements were not aiding me in any noticeable way, so I stopped using the recovery shakes and other stuff. I now focus on maintaining a balanced diet and to listen to my body, i.e. rest when I am tired opposed to thinking that some recovery shake is going to fix it.

How many hours of riding do you do in a week and at what intensity do you ride?

Well for the last 3 months let's say I had an average of 800 tss and 16-17 hours cycling. One month ago I started some strength session at the gym and I'm feeling my legs really sore sometimes so I was thinking to help myself with some supplements.

Well for the last 3 months let's say I had an average of 800 tss and 16-17 hours cycling. One month ago I started some strength session at the gym and I'm feeling my legs really sore sometimes so I was thinking to help myself with some supplements.

Rest works much better for recovery, so unless you are training for say the Epic, you'd be better off with resting and having more focussed training sessions opposed to longer training sessions. If you race competitively, I suggest you consult someone like Jeroen Swart at Sports Science Institute who can assist with training and dietary advice. With the limited info you provided it will be very hard to properly assess your needs to make a meaningful suggestion.

Rest works much better for recovery, so unless you are training for say the Epic, you'd be better off with resting and having more focussed training sessions opposed to longer training sessions. If you race competitively, I suggest you consult someone like Jeroen Swart at Sports Science Institute who can assist with training and dietary advice. With the limited info you provided it will be very hard to properly assess your needs to make a meaningful suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think the training part is fine and I already have a Coach. 

I am very sceptical when it comes to the supplement industry. Especially the body building supplement and nutrition multi-billion dollar Industry. The three you mention are heavily marketed as body building supplements.

That said, I have used recovery supplements very effectively when training for an 80km trail run. Hammer recoverite allowed me to do back to back big heavy days on the legs.

If you do use those amino acids share your findings, it'll be a great benefit to a lot of us!

If there's no good science behind a particular supplement then you just pissing your cash away. unfortunately, this is the case with most supplements.

SIS REGO genuinely seems to help me recover and be ready quicker for the next ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dude just get a whey protein shake and creatine. Best recovery supplements there are, both have been extensively researched by numerous different sports science institutions and has always been found to aid in recovery.

Glutamine is alright, I couldn't really say if it worked for me or not as I was already using the above. 

Citrulline Malate has shown in some studies to help with explosive power, however the test data is not overwhelming enough to convince me it will work. Maybe when you need that extra 0.5 watts to beat the guy next to you.

Beta Alanine is great, however it needs to be either taken in a cycle (normally 6 weeks on, 2 weeks off) or supplemented with taurine. There are studies that indicate that beta alanine depletes taurine levels which may have adverse symptoms.

ITO of brands, I'd stay away from whatever the oke at dischem recommends. They get paid a commission to push down a product on you. Personally I like Optimal Nutrition Gold Standard Whey + Optimal Nutrition micronized Creatine powder. Their creatine is manufactured by Creapure(probably the leading creatine manufacturor). If you need to add carbs put in some dextrose powder or maltodextrin. You can google the proper ratios for whatever you trained.

Endurance training is normally between 3:1 and 4:1 Carbs:Protein, while lean muscle gain would be closer to 0:1 and 0.5:1 Carbs:Protein ratios.

Now most guys will tell you that supplements can not replace a good diet. Which is 100% correct BUT supplements are cheaper than a proper diet, and more convenient. If you can afford real food, rather go for that and if you can't, good quality supplements will help you a lot.

Peanut butter and jam sandwiches...

But if you must - the Pure range is pretty old about avoiding preservatives etc.

Personally I would just eat regular food and add a daily pro biotic, zinc and magnesium tabs to your routine - there are some others you can add too but start with those and see how it progresses.

Probably best to stay away from protein/whey based supplements too - they have side effects on the gut

Try to stick to real food instead of supplements. For example my preferred recovery meal is flapjack with honey and eggs on the side.

The problem with all the wonderful "studies" that the supplement producers like to quote is that they are only quoting the ones that support their claims. Real science does not work like that. Conclusions are derived from the body of evidence, not individual studies. And it is almost impossible to be aware of the body of evidence unless you are a professional in that field. Moral of the story, if you are serious about sports nutrition then go and see a sports nutritionist. But in my experience they will not have much good to say about supplements.

I use whey protein and then follow that with a good meal. Legs recover by the next time morning.

Archived