Supplements for recovery

Americo

Everybody is different when it comes to supplements. What works for me does not necessarily work for you. 

But try taking whey protein within 40 min after your workout. and also at night 11 hour before you go to bed. 

And remember... your a cyclist. If your legs does not hurt. Your not riding enough  :ph34r:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real food, a beer after a hard ride, and one biogen diet fuel the next day instead of lunch.

Makes me think how Bob/TNT1 used to always say a russian and chips with lots of oil and vinegar or something like that  :devil:

1st thing when I get home is a choc Steri-Stumpie if my son didn't drink it up. Post shower is a smoothie with whey protein mixed in. On hard days I slip into my compression tights and catch a 2hr nap. Hour before bedtime I pop some ZMA. Works for me.

1st thing when I get home is a choc Steri-Stumpie if my son didn't drink it up. Post shower is a smoothie with whey protein mixed in. On hard days I slip into my compression tights and catch a 2hr nap. Hour before bedtime I pop some ZMA. Works for me.

What is ZMA?

What is ZMA?

Apparently it aids with recovery by helping you sleep better.

It's Zinc Vit, B6, magnesium aspartate. A multi vit supplement will contain the same

Used right you'll sleep nicely and wake up refreshed rather than groggy.

If you calculate the average time of your REM cycle and work that out to get a solid 6-7 hrs sleep in and not wake in the middle of REM then you won't wake up groggy.

And save yourself around 200 rands for a 3week cycle.

If you calculate the average time of your REM cycle and work that out to get a solid 6-7 hrs sleep in and not wake in the middle of REM then you won't wake up groggy.

And save yourself around 200 rands for a 3week cycle.

I've got my sleep patterns sorted out now but used ZMA a while back. Used to wake up often during the night, but that stopped while on the ZMA. But I hated going to bed hungry!

I am currently training about 9-14 hours per week.

Balanced diet and good sleep will sort you out.

I use to be supplement crazy and its only when I started eating properly and sleeping enough that I started recovering well.

I am still new to cycling but have run many Ultra Marathons and trained hard leading up to those.

I remember when I used to train for Comrades in the 1990's I used to attend these monthly evening lectures at Wits where guest speakers like Frith vd Merwe, Tim Noakes, Wally Hayward, etc used to give us advice on how to complete the race.  So one evening Bruce Fordyce was the guest speaker - and in all seriousness told us that his recovery drink was a double Klipdrift and coke - just one.  I've managed to complete 4 Comrades, 4 Epics and a 100-miler on this philosophy...... :-) :-)

Choc milk and LOTS of sleep... like try get 8-10hrs. natural recovery. Oh and another great one is a glass or can of Coca-Cola.

Balanced diet and good sleep will sort you out.

I use to be supplement crazy and its only when I started eating properly and sleeping enough that I started recovering well.

This ^^

A close to perfect diet for your activity type will deliver the right amount of protein and carbs and vitamins. The trick is getting that diet to suit your budget. Personally I feel this is where supplements help.

Choc milk and LOTS of sleep... like try get 8-10hrs. natural recovery. Oh and another great one is a glass or can of Coca-Cola.

Coke is not ideal due to the amount of sugar. This can spike your blood sugar levels and you may crash later. 

NOT COKE.

High Fructose Corn Syrup has been shown repeatedly to be BAD for you (that's the stuff coke is sweetened with, not sugar)

BTW, there are 39g's (9 teaspoons) of "sugar" in a single can of Coke...

A few of my buddies did an everest attempt last year. The training was done right, the hours where put in. All was looking good for them to complete it. Only thing the one guy changed was he was drinking coke during the event. Didn't even make it half way and ended up in hospital. The coke screwed him up. Might taste lekker but not very good for you.

Archived