How to stop the Cycling Carnage on SA's roads?

Bonus

In one word, unity.

We need a collective voice that can take our case to the relevant people. CSA, PPA, AA etc

How this is achieved can be debated, but while we all scream from our little twitter accounts, nothing is going to happen.

Edited by Patchelicious

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In one word, unity.

We need a collective voice that can take our case to the relevant people. CSA, PPA, AA etc

How this is achieved can be debated, but while we all scream from our little twitter accounts, nothing is going to happen.

Then maybe we get another useless 1.5m campaign.

Then maybe we get another useless 1.5m campaign.

What do you think would be a good solution?

And how would you go about achieving it?

What do you think would be a good solution?

And how would you go about achieving it?

I already said the solution is unfortunately to get off the roads. So bicycle lanes is a good solution. It is simply too dangerous and unfair on your family to risk your life for a hobby/sport by cycling on car traffic roads.

The only way is to actively get government involved and to get the political will to actually do something about it.  If you do not achieve that we can do nothing more than print road safety pamflets on toilette paper that we can at least wipe our arses with it.  There is no other way.

You need Dept of Transport to realise the problem.  They need to ensure that the road traffic act is sorted properly wrt to cycling safety.  You need the Dept of Transport to kick the police and traffic police rear ends into gear to know how to deal with theis.  They need to kick the useless education Dept into gear to educate people from a young age.

They need to get the Justice Dept into gear to properly prosecute offenders who kill pedestrians and cyclists on the road.  If this is not getting done we are just simply trying to p!ss into the South Easter.

CSA and PPA will have to put pressure on the Dept of Transport.

It's not going to stop the carnage but having though about the issue I find it incredible that all motorists involved in an RTA aren't subjected to a breathalyser as a matter of course. Statement, breathalyse all involved, register witnesses, check IDs... and so on. 

That is a place where a huge amount of pressure should be applied on the government, the SAPS, WC DA and Kenny Afrika. Not only for cycling related injuries and deaths but for all injuries involving a motorist. It's not going to save anyone but it will be a big step towards getting justice for those injured, maimed and killed on our highways. 

I already said the solution is unfortunately to get off the roads. So bicycle lanes is a good solution. It is simply too dangerous and unfair on your family to risk your life for a hobby/sport by cycling on car traffic roads.

Get off the roads? I said "good solution".....

Then the next question was how? How do you suggest we get more bicycle lanes?

Edited by Patchelicious

Like the only way anything gets achieved in SA - protest, withhold taxes until they use your taxes to build cycling lanes.

Like the only way anything gets achieved in SA - protest, withhold taxes until they use your taxes to build cycling lanes.

Great! I think a protest is a good way of showing our position.

Who should arrange it?

Bicycle lanes is only part of the solution ... actually a small part of the solution. Germany and most other European countries are at least half a century ahead in time with this and they still have not covered everywhere with bicycle lanes.  You will still need to ride on the road with your bicycle (even MTB) at some point in time to go somewhere.  It will take a very long time to build.  We need a environment and culture we everybody can share the same road.

Any one recall Shaun Hannie, In the period he was a hubber he did more to encourage safe cycling than CSA and their Gauteng counterpart free loaders and clubs.

From organizing rides, meeting with the prov authorities and sponsoring cycling signs, cycle safe kit. T shirts and stickers.  

Acknowledgement he got from CSA etc ??? NONE  

Edited by scotty

Any one recall Shaun Hannie, In the period he was a hubber he did more to encourage safe cycling than CSA and their Gauteng counetrpart free loaders and clubs.

From organizing rides, meeting with the prov authorities and sponsoring cycling signs, cycle safe kit. T shirts and stickers.

Don't know him, but we need more "doers".

3) Texting and driving

Facebook, twitter, whatsapp, instagram, the list is endless.

People seem to think being in traffic is a time to be productive, with devastating consequences. Second to drunk driving, this is the most dangerous behavior of motorists on the road.

I think you will find that the number of accidents caused by cell phones has actually surpassed alcohol related.  While at this point alcohol related incidents are still more serious in terms of injury caused, the number of fender benders due to inattention to your surroundings is now higher.

Unfortunately, what would be a simple rear end bump for a car now turns to a life threatening impact when you change the context from car v car to car v cyclist. 

LoL  :lol:

About CGC

Vision, Mission and Objectives 

CGC has as its vision, mission and objectives, the promotion, growth, development and for these purposes, the control, of cycling in all its forms, including but not limited to:

• competitive road racing and time trials;
  • track cycling;
  • competitive and recreational off-road cycling including cross country mountain biking and downhill mountain biking;
  • every kind of BMX cycling;
  • recreational cycling including the UCI concept of "Cycling For All";
  • commuting;
  • touring;
  • to remain vested with the sole right to select individuals and teams to represent the CGC nationally including but not limited to the South African National Championships, inter-provincial events and to award Provincial Colours;
  • to promote and encourage cycling in the Central Gauteng and to protect the interests and safety of cyclists;
  • to manage and control licensed competitive cycling in Central Gauteng and to frame and enforce rules and regulations for this purpose, provided they do not conflict with any of the CSA and UCI Rules and Regulations;
  • to exercise jurisdiction over all Affiliates or associated bodies or organizations;
  • to control cycling championship meetings, to maintain official records of performances, and to appoint officers, and officials for these purposes;
  • arrange, and assist Affiliates to arrange, cycle tours, fun rides, races and outings;
  • co-ordinate road cycling races, tours, fun rides and outings organised by its Affiliates;
  • maintain an amicable relationship with all Affiliates and members, nurturing a spirit of friendly rivalry in competition;
  • to achieve the secondary objectives more fully dealt with elsewhere in this Constitution; and
  • to do all things and to engage in all activities deemed necessary for the attainment of these objectives.

Bicycle lanes is only part of the solution ... actually a small part of the solution. Germany and most other European countries are at least half a century ahead in time with this and they still have not covered everywhere with bicycle lanes.  You will still need to ride on the road with your bicycle (even MTB) at some point in time to go somewhere.  It will take a very long time to build.  We need a environment and culture we everybody can share the same road.

The fact is there is no other sure way to stop the carnage in SA - the only real practical solution is to take personal responsibility and stay off the roads - I had to this many years back. I know this is not what people want to hear on a cycling forum but this is unfortunately the reality we live in.