How to stop the Cycling Carnage on SA's roads?

Bonus

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem with this is, as soon as he passed you, he went on his merry way repeating this offense where you not around... no one gives a toss about the proper road rules anymore, the unruly taxi drivers started all this unlawful behaviour in order to meet their daily targets... because they get away with it 11 out of 10 times, the normal road user starts to replicate the taxi driver mentality because of lack of patience

Again today on my commute fighting this wind in Cape Town, won't an idiot pass the stationary traffic waiting to turn into church Street from Albert Street, right in front of me cutting me off from getting to the cycle lane whilst the traffic light was green for our side of that road coming from the City side!

The problem with society is impatience and entitlement. Everyone is entitled to their needs and wants and gets impatient if they perceive that they are held up in their quest in obtaining that to which they are entitled.

But the sad part of it.... no one ever gets to that stage of self-fulfillment and content because our society will make sure that you don't. They will be chasing their entitlement even if it is to drive over the person in front of them

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Educating cyclist and policing ourselves should be top of the list! I cannot for the life of me understand why some vain cyclist insits on riding 2 abreast or riding a meter inside the yellow line on busy routes!

Traveling to Grabouw this weekend we can across, a cyclist without a helmet on a busy route, had to break from 100km to absolutely nothing because an idiot was cycling 1 m inside the yellow line down a busy pass, multiple mountain bikers virtually blocking the entire road towards the country club. Some of these hero’s did not even make space for cars after being hooted at. None of the above cyclist were wearing any form of reflective or even just bright clothing.

If you guys are serious about road safety and want motorist to respect you and your right to use the road, you might want to respect them as well. We are currently seen by the general public as a nuisance on the roads because frankly some of us are. This perception need to be changed and we need to earn the respect from other road users by obeying the rules and being considerate.

We cannot really do much about the drunken idiots nore the texting morons knocking our fellow cyclist down but for the rest, it is time we as a community wakes up and look within. Next time I pull up next to you on the Golden Gate road and ask you nicely to stop cycling 2 abreast up a blind raise, don’t swear me but rather stop putting you live in motorist hand.

We can actually, its just that the liberals would spit their dummies!

My guess is that cycling - car accidents are related to the overall accident rates on SA roads, mostly accepted as too high.

If we look at carrot and stick improvement I don't see much carrot. I don't know how you teach respect.

But, unpleasantly for almost all of us, too much missing stick.  The answer is simple, if unpleasant. Enforce the law without fear or favour, something I think is missing in SA anyway, road accidents are just another statistic and symptom. Six months "broken window" enforcement across the board would show a huge change. Jaywalking = 12 hours community service right up to jail and hard labour for causing a fatal accident, driving with a fraudulent licence, repeated offences etc. off topic but I happen to think all / most of the bus schemes are a waste of money. Taxi's can do the business BUT just controlled. Three strikes of unroadworthy vehicle and it gets crushed; ditto for licence to transport passengers, gone for say 5 years for fourth offences.

Most of us would moan like stuck pigs though, courts would be clogged and jails full.

Snip Snip

"hard labour for causing a fatal accident, "

More snip snip

But that will be against my human rights  :whistling:

But that will be against my human rights  :whistling:

We'll class it as "Exercise" . . it will be good for you :-)

This morning 6am on Otto du Plessis just after Tableview circle white VW doors open ,music pumping,5 pax drinking beer and discussing somebody's ma se onderdele.After I had passed the scene I thought F this and tried to phone SAPS 3 times- NO RESPONSE. Turned around and was near SAPS Tableview when I stopped a ADT and asked him to call it in.Later saw the same car in Melkbos. God help the guys cycling on the R27

Need to get a contact no.that works early morning.No fun hearing a car behind you and wondering if they are the drunks

I've done this a few times on Imam Haroon drive in Claremont - the taxi drivers go mental - threaten me with all manner of violence. Quite scary but I get so cheesed off with their behaviour.

I just made a quick trip to the hardware store in Durbanville. Probably a 15 minute journey total there and back. Saw 4 cyclists and a tandem going through red robots. Half these cyclists were senior guys, not youngsters. If we have such utter disregard for the rules of the road and are unable to police ourselves, why is it we expect anything different from motorists.

The thing that stood out most for me during the past few weeks and all the discussions was driver attitude. And yesterday I experienced it to be true. On my commute home after work the traffic has really worsened since the classes started on campus, which is why I prefer to take the bike over the bakkie and that way I don't contribute to the parking problems we experience. So I get on the bike and not even 200m into the ride there is an incident. A lady in a silver Ford Focus decides that it was enough to wait for the pedestrians, she is going. Right in front of me which is the oncoming traffic. Emergency stop with 10cm to spare. That was a close call. The lady just drove off as if nothing happened. So with all that's been happening on the roads lately I decided to turn around and see if I can catch her which happened 2 stop streets further. I stop next to her open window and ask politely if she saw me. She answers that she was waiting for the pedestrians to cross. I reply: So? All we as cyclists ask is that you as motorists acknowledge us as road users and give us our space. I get waved off but decide to keep going and share the latest stats regarding the death of cyclists on the roads in SA since the beginning of the year. Her reply: Gebeur daar nie soms ongelukke in jou lewe ook nie? (Doesn't accidents happen in your life?) My moermeter hit the red right there. So I told her that I didn't want to be nasty when I chased her down in the first place, but her attitude stinks, to which she replied that mine does too. I was so busy preaching to her that I didn't get the registration number.

I phoned campus traffic this morning with my rant and they said that such behaviour from personnel is unacceptable. They will have a look at the various cameras on campus to see if she can be identified.

After this episode I can really say: Point taken on the attitude of motorists. It is quite scary that they are so oblivious to the consequences of their actions. I decided that I will be the voice for the local commuters and try and make drivers aware that their actions affect us even if they think its not.

I just made a quick trip to the hardware store in Durbanville. Probably a 15 minute journey total there and back. Saw 4 cyclists and a tandem going through red robots. Half these cyclists were senior guys, not youngsters. If we have such utter disregard for the rules of the road and are unable to police ourselves, why is it we expect anything different from motorists.

If the only cycling fatalities were those cyclist jumping the red lights or disregarding the rules of the road then we would not have been here having this debate. Ironically it is the guys not jumping the red lights the get killed.  I have yet to read a thread on the hub of this sort.  So my point is that even if all cyclists adhere 100% to the traffic rules, the killing will not stop nor would it reduce.

Archived