Ashburton Investments boosts elite women's prize purse to equal men's

News bot

So how do you suggest increasing participation levels of girls.

From the races I have done, we are standing at about 10%.

Getting to 50% is a tall order.

Increasing elite ladies prize money is not going to do the trick, in my opinion.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Increasing elite ladies prize money is not going to do the trick, in my opinion.

So are you saying if the amount of each gender standing on the start line is not equal then they should not be paid the same?

Money is always a very good incentive. Woman have been discriminated against for decades. We have to start somewhere to get it right going forward. Won't happen over night or perhaps in our lifetime, but it's a good start!

So are you saying if the amount of each gender standing on the start line is not equal then they should not be paid the same?

No not saying that, but sponsors could possibly see a link in terms of ROI.

Money is always a very good incentive. Woman have been discriminated against for decades. We have to start somewhere to get it right going forward. Won't happen over night or perhaps in our lifetime, but it's a good start!

Yes, equal prize money is an excellent start. But is the participation numbers due to decades of discrimination or just because men and women are different and like different sports?

Yes, equal prize money is an excellent start. But is the participation numbers due to decades of discrimination or just because men and women are different and like different sports?

Mentioned a while back on another thread, the last stage race I did there were more women riders than men. The potential is definitely there to grow the sport among women.

Edited by Skubarra

Money is a great incentive. It is also just one incentive.

Right now if you up the prize money in Elite racing, you are in the short term only benefiting the 10 or so ladies that can win elite races.

So if we truly care about equality, we cannot be lazy and put all our focus on this quick fix solution.

If we truly care about equlity, we need to fix the problem, put long term solutions in place and then be patient to let them work.

If you look at youngster joining cycling now, the ratio of girl to boys is way higher than 5 years ago. This is NOT due increased prize money, it is due to the sport becoming bigger, more family orientated and schools getting involved.

We must put equal prize money into effect, that is an "easier" solution, but if we don't fix the participation levels its not a sustainable solution on its own.

If you have 5000 men entering a race and 500 women entering the same race, organizers will be under finial pressure to sustain equal prize money. There are medium term solution too, perhaps ladies specific products can come onboard as prize sponsors.... There is always a solution if you look for one.

But and its a big BUT, we need fix it long term too.

Money is a great incentive. It is also just one incentive.

Right now if you up the prize money in Elite racing, you are in the short term only benefiting the 10 or so ladies that can win elite races.

So if we truly care about equality, we cannot be lazy and put all our focus on this quick fix solution.

If we truly care about equlity, we need to fix the problem, put long term solutions in place and then be patient to let them work.

If you look at youngster joining cycling now, the ratio of girl to boys is way higher than 5 years ago. This is NOT due increased prize money, it is due to the sport becoming bigger, more family orientated and schools getting involved.

We must put equal prize money into effect, that is an "easier" solution, but if we don't fix the participation levels its not a sustainable solution on its own.

If you have 5000 men entering a race and 500 women entering the same race, organizers will be under finial pressure to sustain equal prize money. There are medium term solution too, perhaps ladies specific products can come onboard as prize sponsors.... There is always a solution if you look for one.

But and its a big BUT, we need fix it long term too.

Here Arianne in particular has been a fantastic ambassador. She regularly attends the school league races to encourage the youngsters.

• 3 weeks later...

So what happened to all the extra ladies that would rock up if the prize money was increased?

Not sure anyone thought that would be a silver bullet and in the space of two weeks and one event there would be a rush of pro women pitching up in Sabie. Think the women's podium deserved every cent of that equal prize money this weekend.

That said, there should really be more support from the women racers, let's see at the other events by end of the season. Something some of the top women are saying as well.

So what happened to all the extra ladies that would rock up if the prize money was increased?

Its like the bankers believing when it rains in the Karoo, it rains big fat sheep ready for slaughter. Some things take a bit of time.

Its like the bankers believing when it rains in the Karoo, it rains big fat sheep ready for slaughter. Some things take a bit of time.

I know it does. But from the way some people were carrying on....

If the sponsors step up and put their money on the line, the participants need to step up too.

I'm sure other sponsors were watching this.

Edited by Patchelicious

If the sponsors step up and put their money on the line, the participants need to step up too.

the entire race was down on numbers due to the rain.. so i think its a little harsh to measure this one...

The Epic ladies race took a few years to get to the point where we today talk as much (if not more) about the ladies race as the mens race. Equal prize money set that evolution in motion. I prefer to look at the quality of the field opposed to quantity. Numbers are important, but if we can get the best in the world competing in SA, the numbers are due to come.

the entire race was down on numbers due to the rain.. so i think its a little harsh to measure this one...

Ok let me make my point super duper clear as to avoid my posts being taken in the wrong way.

If people are going to push sponsors to take the additional financial risk, they must make an additional effort to come to the party.

Sponsorships is a two way street. The sponsors must get something in return if they are going to keep sponsoring.

I would have thought that the people who were lobbying for this positive change would have made an extra effort to go and show their support for the sponsor.

To make change it takes effort from both sides. That's all that I am saying.

Edited by Patchelicious

Ok let me make my point super duper clear as to avoid my posts being taken in the wrong way.

If people are going to push sponsors to take the additional financial risk, they must make an additional effort to come to the party.

Sponsorships is a two way street. The sponsors must get something in return if they are going to keep sponsoring.

I would have thought that the people who were person who was lobbying for this positive change would have made an extra effort to go and show their support for the sponsor.

To make change it takes effort from both sides. That's all that I am saying.

There I fixed it for you ;)