Need advice! Getting screwed by local hubber

Tom wells

So for me the most important lesson learnt here ( Everyone please take heed of this ) is that when selling something to a buyer from another province, the buyer must send a friend to inspect that the item is 100% as advertised. If the friend is happy then the deal can proceed.. Also now understand why many sellers advertise as local collection only.. . I think that's the safest route..? But when you're selling a fairly good deal you also want to give fellow hubbers across the board the opportunity to get in on the good deal and when you don't, they complain.. So what do you do then when they cant send a friend..? 

Or just dont sell things on behalf of friends, get them to do their own dirty work.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No MODS, please do not lock this thread. There is healthy debate going on with people sharing their own views on this transaction. This adds value and insight for members who are new and haven't had much interaction or real world dealings on what the common consensus is!

Options to close this would only come from the OP or if it goes past south.

So for me the most important lesson learnt here ( Everyone please take heed of this ) is that when selling something to a buyer from another province, the buyer must send a friend to inspect that the item is 100% as advertised. If the friend is happy then the deal can proceed.. Also now understand why many sellers advertise as local collection only.. . I think that's the safest route..? But when you're selling a fairly good deal you also want to give fellow hubbers across the board the opportunity to get in on the good deal and when you don't, they complain.. So what do you do then when they cant send a friend..? 

No, just make sure what you selling is 110% as advertised... If you unsure then take it to your LBS to get clarity before selling it to someone in hope that it works out for them.

You dear sir is missing the lesson.

No, just make sure what you selling is 110% as advertised... If you unsure then take it to your LBS to get clarity before selling it to someone in hope that it works out for them.

This is the lesson, dont describe items if you dont know what they are.

Both the OP and Seller have less than 100 posts- the Rouxtjie rule confirmed :ph34r:

Guys, sort it out and move on!!

I know it's slightly different, but CPA allows you 7 days to make sure everything is shap. That said, who puts a cassette onto wheels to check if it works BEFORE there are tyres on the wheels? How were you going to test it? I can see straight away whether it's Shimano / Campy, but not 10/11s. That said, if you have your bikeshop putting the tubs on, why not ask them to make sure an 11s cassette fits? Or take the cassette to them to put on with the tubs?

So my take on this is that there were a few things that the buyer could have done to notify the seller earlier of the issue. If you are buying something second hand and you know that you are not going to be available to make sure it's right for some time, then unfortunately the risk is ultimately with you. I recently bought a PowerTap hub second hand that I hadn't seen, separately bought a rim to go on the hub, and had the wheel built and hub serviced all while i was out of country for a few weeks. I knew that I was only going to see the wheel in a few weeks time, so understood that the risk was with me as I can't come back after a month with any issues. So I made sure that I had some sort of representation to look out for me during the process.

Bottom line is that if you are something buying second hand, and you can't immediately confirm something yourself.... make sure that you have someone who can check it for you.

Both the OP and Seller have less than 100 posts- the Rouxtjie rule confirmed :ph34r:

Guys, sort it out and move on!!

Exactly, they are both big boys, and various solutions have been offered.

Speak to each other and come to a conclusion taking both parties situations into account.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. 

My advice to both seller and buyer, stop responding to everybody on here who has clearly never made a mistake, you are just getting yourself dragged into a battle that cannot be won.

Exactly, they are both big boys, and various solutions have been offered.

Speak to each other and come to a conclusion taking both parties situations into account.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. 

My advice to both seller and buyer, stop responding to everybody on here who has clearly never made a mistake, you are just getting yourself dragged into battle that cannot be won.

Thanks Patch 100% agreed. Already asked for his bank details on this thread and also contacted him personally asking for bank details. No response though.. Lets hope for the best with this and that he stays a happy rider.. .. Ciao peeps... 

Thanks Patch 100% agreed. Already asked for his bank details on this thread and also contacted him personally asking for bank details. No response though.. Lets hope for the best with this and that he stays a happy rider.. .. Ciao peeps... 

I would also not respond, oke had to lick your balls to get this sorted out.

My Q .I put an 11 speed Shimano cassette on a 10 speed hope hub without any problems .This was for a MTB wheel .How is this different from a road wheel

Hope makes freewheel bodies in two lengths. The longer one has 37mm splines and the shorter one 35mm....approximately ...iirc.

The longer one comes with a 1mm spacer that fits under the cassette for 11spd. You can also try cog spacers from an old 10spd or 11spd XT cassette but these are about 1.8mm and may be too thick. Just make sure your lockring engages enough threads to be reliable. I'd want 3 or 4 turns of thread minimum. Some lockrings are longer and have deeper thread than others....another fix if you get stuck.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I disagree with your statement here.. As most of us are selling second hand items and lets face it we all have different characters.. ( Example: I advertise a second hand seatpost that has one tiny little abrasion maybe a 3mm long {not a scratch}.. To me the seatpost is in an excellent condition for second hand. But when the buyer receives it across the country his expectation of excellent condition is 100% scratch free { in other words as good as new} .. This kind of thing can go on and on.. So always best to check out the item yourself or have someone check it out for you.. ( My 2c's ) 

I disagree with your statement here.. As most of us are selling second hand items and lets face it we all have different characters.. ( Example: I advertise a second hand seatpost that has one tiny little abrasion maybe a 3mm long {not a scratch}.. To me the seatpost is in an excellent condition for second hand. But when the buyer receives it across the country his expectation of excellent condition is 100% scratch free { in other words as good as new} .. This kind of thing can go on and on.. So always best to check out the item yourself or have someone check it out for you.. ( My 2c's )

You drifting away bud... selling a 10spd wheel as a 11spd wheel is a big mistake.

A scratch or dent is a different issue all together. For that, use a measuring tape and provide stacks of photos and let the buyer make his own decision. If the item is still usable then I'm sure the buyer won't make a huge fuss about it.

But in this situation, the guy dropped cash on something he cannot use. How would you feel about this after spending 5k of your hard earned cash ?? Pee'd of hey ??

Options to close this would only come from the OP or if it goes past south.

Am sure we in sasolburg already ????

So for me the most important lesson learnt here ( Everyone please take heed of this ) is that when selling something to a buyer from another province, the buyer must send a friend to inspect that the item is 100% as advertised.

What a load of cr@p! I bought tons of stuff from JHB without myself or a friend seeing the item. The sellers just told the truth when advertising it.

Archived