First Ride: 2017 Specialized S-Works Epic 29 World Cup

Bike Hub Features

Quote... "Comparison and Imitation are the sincerest form of flattery!"

You can hate the Brain system, the RS1 fork on an "amateur" bike, etc... but as a supported package (talking SA here) they are hard to beat.

And I don't feel I am being ripped off - I was upfront made aware of servicing costs, and considering that I did about a dozen races and 4 multi-day events in 2016, without any mechanical issues whatsoever, suggests that it is a fair price to pay for quality.

Saving R1000 on a service and not completing a multi-day event in a remote province is really not cool or clever. Just saying.  :)  

Yes, the bike is better than me - but I am still faster than my friend!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome looking bike .

Just one question  - If it is the 2017 bike , why no RS1 fork ??

I believe the short answer is weight.

S-Works Epic has RS1 and S-Works Epic WC has SID.

Do I win?

Nice review, good and bad mentioned. Silly money for a bike. The special shocks and servicing costs on top of the astronomical asking price (the same goes for the other bikes mentioned in comments) make it too expensive for 90% of the cycling population. How about reviews of the cheapest Epic (no doubt still around 50-60k), Anthem, Scalpel and Scott? My guess is that aside form a weight penalty there isn't much difference.

I, as many others I am sure, have an epic comp (cheapest one). I bought it New just over two years ago, paid R24000 for it. It was an October bike, always get deals then. I was gonna get an anthem, but it was R500 more.

Regarding the brain service, well I service it once a year (about every 3000km) and it costs just over a grand. What does it cost for a full rear shock service for a non brain shock? Is it that much less?

Sure the top end spez stuff is expensive, but the entry level bikes for us mere mortals are competitive. My mate just bought a brand new camber comp for 30 grand (also eoy purchase).

Beyond this, Spez do make a hell of a good finished product. The carbon work is like no other. I love the new Scott but the finishing touches are not quite spez if you have a good.

I beg to differ. The finishing on spez carbon frames that I've seen is rather poor. So many imperfections on the surface it hardly looks like any time was spent prepping the carbon frame before final spray painting, but then again...maybe my standards are higher.

I beg to differ. The finishing on spez carbon frames that I've seen is rather poor. So many imperfections on the surface it hardly looks like any time was spent prepping the carbon frame before final spray painting, but then again...maybe my standards are higher.

Which bikes do you think have a higher standard?

Have a look at the new 2017 KTM range... Not sure what factory they make them in but they are amazing. In general, you will find that the higher the grade of carbon, the more difficult it is to work with so there might be a few imperfections after fairing (Not sure if this was the case from what you had seen). Areas that use high modulus carbon are tricky to lay up. Have a look at the Cervelo P5X. People were moaning about the bad finish. Unfortunately if it is for pure performance, clear coat & high mod carbon, it wont look pretty. 

Which bikes do you think have a higher standard?

Well I was referring to my own standards to be fair. When I drop that much cash on a 2 wheeled equipped implement I damn sure expect near perfection.

To be fair, you also have to look at the frame design and shape before drawing such comparisons between brands. Santa Cruz comes to mind of a very well finished product (the few I've seen), and a few others (Pivot, Cannondale). But the Santa cruz frames have a much more basic shape and smoother lines compared to the Spezs. And the paint work will also determine how visible it is. A matte/satin finish will hide surface imperfections more so than a glossy finish. The light source plays a role as well. 

When you look at the Spez frames, especially at the top tube and seat tube junction where the top tube forks out, it is very noticeable. The first time I picked up on that was at a shop where a series of Cambers and Stumpies where lined up - from comp to s-works models. None looked identical, and almost like some overzealous sanding was applied. Also noticed it later on my Enduro and Epic models.

Is it bad? Dunno. But a premium product demanding R40-60k for a frame...imho QC should look at aesthetics as well.

you are right you cannot compare it to a anthem as the anthem has a life time warranty on frames ,anthem shocks does not need to be serviced after 500m , so yea please dont compare it to a anthem  

tongue  in cheek

Just some clarification on the suspension servicing:

I'm told that the Brain forks and shocks follow exactly the same recommended service intervals as normal (those not including a Brain) forks and shocks do. For forks, this is a 25 hour, 50 hour, and 150 hour / 1 year intervals. The recommended shock intervals are 50 hours and 150 hours / 1 year.

The main difference is that the 150 hour or 1 year needs to be sent to Specialized as the Brain needs to attended to. It's worth noting that many bike shops send their forks and shocks services to the local service agent anyway.

Very vice bike, but I tend to agree with Nick that most of us "average" riders would probably be more comfortable and confident on the likes of the Camber.  Without trying to completely hijack the subject, what about bikes with newer XC geometry like the new Scalpel Si and Spark RC with head tube angles of 69.5 and 68.5 deg respectively?  Would they now hit the sweet spot between the Epic and Camber, or would they still be considered too twitchy for a less skilled rider?

I'd agree with you. The new breed of XC bikes, while designed with the hardcore World Cup circuits in mind, will definitely benefit riders of all skill levels. Whether it's the sweet spot, I'm going to need a bit more time with the bikes to form a proper opinion but I reckon for our racing obsessed market, it very well may be.

Nice review, good and bad mentioned. Silly money for a bike. The special shocks and servicing costs on top of the astronomical asking price (the same goes for the other bikes mentioned in comments) make it too expensive for 90% of the cycling population. How about reviews of the cheapest Epic (no doubt still around 50-60k), Anthem, Scalpel and Scott? My guess is that aside form a weight penalty there isn't much difference.

We've found that our reviews of lower to mid-range model bikes do very well and we do make a point of trying to include the lower price brackets. But what we review (more often than not) depends on what the brands have in their demo fleet or are willing to pull out of their sales stock.

Must be discounted because it's not a 29er

2017 KTM 300 exc - Six Days - R110,000.00

Bicycle pricing makes no sense!

http://www.rocketcentre.co.uk/image/cache/data/Off-Road/KTM/2017/Enduro/KTM_300_EXC_6days-800x800.jpg

Well I was referring to my own standards to be fair. When I drop that much cash on a 2 wheeled equipped implement I damn sure expect near perfection.

To be fair, you also have to look at the frame design and shape before drawing such comparisons between brands. Santa Cruz comes to mind of a very well finished product (the few I've seen), and a few others (Pivot, Cannondale). But the Santa cruz frames have a much more basic shape and smoother lines compared to the Spezs. And the paint work will also determine how visible it is. A matte/satin finish will hide surface imperfections more so than a glossy finish. The light source plays a role as well. 

When you look at the Spez frames, especially at the top tube and seat tube junction where the top tube forks out, it is very noticeable. The first time I picked up on that was at a shop where a series of Cambers and Stumpies where lined up - from comp to s-works models. None looked identical, and almost like some overzealous sanding was applied. Also noticed it later on my Enduro and Epic models.

Is it bad? Dunno. But a premium product demanding R40-60k for a frame...imho QC should look at aesthetics as well.

So which bikes at the R140k price point do pass your standards?

I am not disputing that high standards are required, Im just trying to peg where yours sits?

I, as many others I am sure, have an epic comp (cheapest one). I bought it New just over two years ago, paid R24000 for it. It was an October bike, always get deals then. I was gonna get an anthem, but it was R500 more.

Regarding the brain service, well I service it once a year (about every 3000km) and it costs just over a grand. What does it cost for a full rear shock service for a non brain shock? Is it that much less?

Sure the top end spez stuff is expensive, but the entry level bikes for us mere mortals are competitive. My mate just bought a brand new camber comp for 30 grand (also eoy purchase).

True, good points re cost of shock servicing - my wifes RP2 and Sid cost around R2k including a new Propedal knoppie. Is it possible to get a regular shop to service the things or does it have to be Spaz?

140K. That the same price for what I bought my first property back in 1995 :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Hahaha, I bought a decent flat in the southern burbs for R117k around the same time...

So which bikes at the R140k price point do pass your standards?

I am not disputing that high standards are required, Im just trying to peg where yours sits?

I don't know. I don't even look at bikes that cost that much...it just happened that it caught my eyes.

I have more than enough sense to know that R140k for a bicycle is just ridiculous. It's got nothing to do with affordability, I just would not want to be seen on one...unless my skill and performance justified it, but then again whose does? I see enve wheels, and the only thought that goes through my mind is 'a fool and his money,' but that's just my opinion (which you kinda ask for now). ;)