What is the PPA doing?

Patchelicious

Agree much better approach.

Small details but was the one guy not Gregory Basson and not Deon Basson.

Yes, and not a small detail.... pretty important imho

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread is raising an interesting question for newbies ....

WHY would we join PPA ?

WHAT is the function/use of the PPA ?

Other than seeding do they have any real contribution ?

Seems if we do enough events the entry discounts may just cover the membership fee .. but really, there should be a better reason to join .....

I have searched the PPA site, but this is hardly convincing me to join - http://www.pedalpower.org.za/members-benefits/

Am I missing something ?  Is there more to it than what PPA puts on their web page ?

This thread is raising an interesting question for newbies ....

WHY would we join PPA ?

Am I missing something ?  Is there more to it than what PPA puts on their web page ?

http://www.pedalpower.org.za/about-ppa/

Perhaps one should also read the "about us" page? And click on the constitution?

The PPA is about much more than "member benefits" ("What can it do for you" as opposed to "what can it do for cycling")

What I see myself (and I'm not involved other than being an ordinary member):

1. Fund mtb trails, several in my part of the world

2. Engage government, lobby for cycling paths, successfully in Cape Town

3. Engage government, lobby for safety, 1 m law in Western Cape

4. Safety campaigns, "Stay Wider of the Rider"

5. Hand out hi-vis bibs, helmets, light to commuters, Cape Town, Johannesburg

6. Get involved in legal matters on behalf of cyclists, several hit & run killings

7. Fund bicycles for poor kids & rural adults, making lives better

8. Fund any worthy cycling project, built BMX tracks, get kids to ride

9. Fund development riders, currently sending team to Europe to race

10. Fund races & organize races, Tour de PPA, 1 Tonner

11. Help others organize races, Smaller local races, 99er, Ride For Sight, 

12. Act as a legitimate voice with some clout for cyclists, through having by far the largest membership in SA 

I can think up some more, but have to work some to pay for my next years subs :)

Perhaps one should also read the "about us" page? And click on the constitution?

The PPA is about much more than "member benefits" ("What can it do for you" as opposed to "what can it do for cycling")

5. Hand out hi-vis bins, helmets, light to commuters, Cape Town, Johannesburg

6. Get involved in legal matters on behalf of cyclists, several hit & run killings

11. Help others organize races, Smaller local races, 99er, Ride Fir Sight, 

12. Act as a legitimate voice with some clout for cyclists, through having by far the largest membership in SA 

I can think up some more, but have to work some to pay for my next years subs :)

Doesn't answer the fundamental  questions he asked.

WHY would we join PPA ?

5. Hand out hi-vis bins, helmets, light to commuters, Cape Town, Johannesburg

11. Help others organize races, Smaller local races, 99er, Ride Fir Sight, 

If those are actual legit points, then it answers the WHY and What for me.

WHY would we join PPA ? 

Sorry, I can't do any better! :blush:  ;)  :)

1. Fund mtb trails, several in my part of the world - good to know ... may just brave the boerewors curtain and come have a look at these trails ...

2. Engage government, lobby for cycling paths, successfully in Cape Town - physical limitations makes this a tough sell.  sure we all want more of these paths.  

3. Engage government, lobby for safety, 1 m law in Western Cape - ... uhm ja well .... safety starts with the cyclist ....  Cyclists are often their own worst enemies.  Yesterday I once again saw the classic two man peleton on La Belle road opposite Brights : two riders next to each other blocking a lane, forcing cars to slow down and pass them single file .... There is simply no justification for such selfish behaviour !  These cyclists pee-off car drivers, the result is bad for ALL of us on two wheels !!!  PLEASE stay single file, stay a reasonable distance from the curb, and dont block traffic.  Safety starts with mutual respect.  Out on Bottelary road, sure ride two or three abreast IN the yellow lane section.  Laws really mean nothing, especially when we know it does not get enforced.

4. Safety campaigns, "Stay Wider of the Rider" - no campaign will ever speaking louder than the behaviour of cyclists ... and as long as cyclists block traffic this small group makes life dangerous for all of us.

5. Hand out hi-vis bins, helmets, light to commuters, Cape Town, Johannesburg - nice

6. Get involved in legal matters on behalf of cyclists, several hit & run killings - GOOD.

8. Fund any worthy cycling project, built BMX tracks, get kids to ride - any effort that gets kid active is well worth the effort

11. Help others organize races, Smaller local races, 99er, Ride Fir Sight, - jip.  pity they only accept credit cards.  At least their staff is VERY friendly and helpfull with arranging alternate payment methods.  (still want to try a check/debit card for payment)

Thank you DJR.

Certainly some food for thought .....

Taking the view of the "larger group", rather than just me, myself and I,  many of the points raised above DO add value to the cycling community.  Think YOU should be part of their PR ....  :thumbup:

Obviously it is impossible to keep everybody happy all the time ...  :wacko:   But clearly they have a wide presence, or so it sounds ....  I dont know them or their actions long enough to know how much is actually being done NOW.  But I will take the positive approach and pay my dues as soon as they answer my email of two weeks ago about a membership enquiry (putting our godson on our membership) - The lady I sent the email to was on leave, so I trust I will get a reply soon

I have added some thoughts to the list above - PLEASE NOTE : I have lost a nephew on a bike accident, and two more on motorbikes.  Both my wife and I have had motorcycle accidents - car drivers skipping stop streets.  So my comments on safety is my considered opinion that BOTH cyclists AND drivers share an equal burden of responsibility and accountability to prevent accidents .... the only difference between the two is that the car driver fills in forms at the panel beater and the cyclist is in hospital or worse ....  PLEASE forget about rules and cycle to stay alive .....

WHY would we join PPA ?

Well it sort of does answer me ...

It gives an account of what they DID, and what we could reasonably expect in future.

For ME :

- their assistance in arranging fun rides / events is appreciated (I know that most small events wont be around without this type of help)

- working towards trails and cycling paths is obviously in our best interest (I dont hold it against them that none of these are in my immediate area)

- think I said enough bike safety ... but thanks to them for TRYING to raise awareness ... now if we can only get ourselves to co-operate ....

these are enough of a reason for me to join

If my subscription can get 5 helmets to commuters with little means, as an example, I'll sign on every year

Without the PPA, eish, who would rise for the average dude and dudette on their two wheels

If my subscription can get 5 helmets to commuters with little means, as an example, I'll sign on every year

Without the PPA, eish, who would rise for the average dude and dudette on their two wheels

If more people had your approach, the world would improve a little bit every day! :thumbup:

Just a sideways thought about safety - and perhaps a challenge to my fellow brothers in cycling :

How many of us have old helmets and lights lying around that we could give away to poor commuters who brave the traffic every day without those things? If we can, it should come naturally to pay it forward. Not just wait for the PPA or the government or someone else to do something! If you don't want to bother finding someone worthy, just go drop it at the PPA offices in Kenilworth, or send it to them. Kit of all kinds will be put to good use.

Just a sideways thought about safety - and perhaps a challenge to my fellow brothers in cycling :

How many of us have old helmets and lights lying around that we could give away to poor commuters who brave the traffic every day without those things? If we can, it should come naturally to pay it forward. Not just wait for the PPA or the government or someone else to do something! If you don't want to bother finding someone worthy, just go drop it at the PPA offices in Kenilworth, or send it to them. Kit of all kinds will be put to good use.

are you suggesting that with our help the PPA might achieve more .....  :whistling:   :devil:

wonder if they would have enough space if we all donated half of the stuff that has been on our shelves for more than 6 months ..... and those bikes that the kids have out-grown a year or two back ....

I have my reservations about monetary donations (but that is a topic for another day) ... but the old kit we wont use again surely can make a difference to many others

just a warning about old kit - if it is branded with your company logos then dont donate unless you know the person who will be using it - Bellville CC found out the hard way when a rider who assaulted a motorist was wearing their kit which they donated 'to a worthy cause'. the reports in the newpaper was that Bellville Cycling club member was ........

• 2 weeks later...

THANKS !

I do a lot of driving during the day (in the car..) to go visit different sites for work.  Today I went past the Strand golf club. along the R44 - NICE to see the cyclist crossing the intersection, then popping back onto proper cycling lanes.

GOOD to see these supplied, and even better to see cyclists being able to cycle safely, and making use of it.

BIG thanks to one and all involved in getting these cycling lanes in place.

(pity we dont have along my commute, but hardly a high cycling traffic area, so understandable)

PS - DID get my feedback from PPA, and will become registered members at our next event.

THANKS !

I do a lot of driving during the day (in the car..) to go visit different sites for work. Today I went past the Strand golf club. along the R44 - NICE to see the cyclist crossing the intersection, then popping back onto proper cycling lanes.

GOOD to see these supplied, and even better to see cyclists being able to cycle safely, and making use of it.

BIG thanks to one and all involved in getting these cycling lanes in place.

(pity we dont have along my commute, but hardly a high cycling traffic area, so understandable)

PS - DID get my feedback from PPA, and will become registered members at our next event.

I did that, today, going past the golf club, on the R44 :)

Also make 110% sure that the motorist who gave you the gap gets a good thumbs up to say thanks.

Archived