What is the PPA doing?

Patchelicious

We used to have nice league races like the past, we should bring the league races back. Elites, SV, V, Ladies + M..  

Yep, thats the other thing people think they want but don't enter when PPA creates it.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year there was a couple of these MTB fun rides with short distances.  To date NO events that I attend in 2018 with a 6 year old ....

Safety is one aspect of PPA.

But family events certainly failing dismally at this stage .... If PPA can offer the kids something the parents will follow - most succesfull businesses have figured this out !!

Yep, thats the other thing people think they want but don't enter when PPA creates it.

Yup but understand well at least at elite / U23 level they guys need to have the prize money to make them want to use there "pocket money" to enter.

Back when I headed the league committee, we did not do league so PPA could show profit for running the league (recently when they had league profits were shown after seeing financials at AGM). We rather did it to promote the event and have the good riders come to the events and were rewarded accordingly for their efforts. Already back in about year 2000 a race win would be R1000 and a series win had added prize money. If my memory serves me correctly the league entry fee was R50 for the series for a frame number and back number and the event entry was abut the same.

Currently PPA seem to be trying to "milking" the serious cyclist who were the ones who supported all the road events week in and week out - so they can show financial profit for hosting a race at the front of a PPA mass funride. Some have become wise to this and now including myself do not enter PPA league or even maintain a paid PPA membership.

Yup but understand well at least at elite / U23 level they guys need to have the prize money to make them want to use there "pocket money" to enter.

Not going to defend PPA on the league thing, for all I know they did a terrible job on the league last year. But my observation from the sidelines is that the demand for a league is in reality not as big as the perception created by some on social media

I cycle to work and back home from Tokai to Cape Town in different routes.

I feel PPA need to look at the road between Hout Bay to Constanta Neck.

Why can't they ask council to add 0,5m wide on left side for cyclist who cycle slow uphill from Hout bay to Neck?

I find it is too dangerous because drivers don't want to wait, they rather squeeze through.

There are so many riders from Immuzo Yethu riding over to Neck.   

the good old "let your wallet do the talking" adage?

Exactly, that is exactly why I don't own a Learjet. But it doesn't mean that I slag them every chance I get because they are too expensive. I take my business elsewhere......and buy bicycles in stead........that'll teach those money grabbing Learjet salesmen! ;)  

• 8 months later...

Letter from the CEO

CEO Letter 
September 2018
Dear Members 

My condolences go out to the family of Lance Botha, who was tragically killed in a crash in Diep River on 29 September. We are also in touch with the family of Lynette Burger, who was hit by a taxi in Johannesburg recently. She has apparently been taken off the ventilator, which is encouraging, but less encouraging is the fact that the driver in Lynette’s crash is only being charged with negligent driving! Through his actions be put a person in a coma, attached to all kinds of life-supporting machines in hospital, but he was only deemed to be negligent. Spilling a cup of coffee over your laptop is negligent! 

The driver that crashed into Lance said he was driving while on medication! What does that mean? That it excuses his actions? 

By the way, 9 days after the death of Lance, SAPS have still not charged the driver! The ambulance took an hour to arrive and SAPS took even longer to get to the scene. It’s pathetic and tragic at the same time. 

Geoffrey Merrick, the driver that was found guilty of killing Greg Basson on Bottelary Road, is going on with his life while he waits for his appeal hearing. The crash happened in 2013! 

Drivers are exploiting every loophole to escape with a mere slap on the wrist and the criminal justice system seems to make it easy for them to do so. 

Are there any PPA members out there that are willing to assist with some pro-bono legal advice and assistance? It would really help us in those first days after a crash, giving the family the right advice & guidance, asking the right questions of the authorities and guide us in how PPA can help in a meaningful way. I would really appreciate your help. 

AGM 
The AGM took place 3 weeks ago, but almost didn’t have a quorum of 50 members. 

We welcome Alexis Scholtz-Wheeler and Frank van Asperen as new faces to the Exco. Alexis works in the field of low-carbon transport and sustainable mobility and Frank worked as GM for Heineken in a number of countries around the world. No doubt, they will add a lot of value to the PPA committee and I look forward to working with them. 

Highlights: 

• We are following a sound fiscal strategy, but are aware of the challenges around event participation and our membership numbers. We have factored these into our strategies going forward
  • Due to better efficiencies, the event portfolio is becoming self-sustaining
  • Look out for an 8-event Cyclosportif series next year and new mountain bike & gravel offerings
  • Our partnership with Qhubeka has unlocked 10,000 bicycles over the next 2 years. These bicycles have been made available at no cost, which means we have R10 Million worth of bicycles to distribute each year
PPA Partnership 

If you own or work for a company that would like to invest in a cycling-related CSI project, is keen to sponsor an event or is interested in supporting a wide range of initiatives, PPA is the perfect portal and partner to get involved with all aspects of cycling. I am sure we have some captains of industry on our membership database and this call goes out to you! Let’s talk. 

As always, suggestions, comments and critiques are welcome. Please send your emails to me directly, robert@pedalpower.org.za or give me a call on 081 0439890.

Warm Regards

Robert

• 7 months later...

Thought I'd copy & paste a bit from the latest PPA newletter:

World Bicycle Day, Monday 3 June

As a collective, PPA, BEN, Open Streets, the Bicycle Mayor and others will be busy with an activation opposite the Hartleyvale Stadium from 7-9:30am. Cycle to work on Monday, or replace at least on car trip with a bicycle trip. It really is easier than you think and will make you feel good.

Please make a note in your diaries to support our Mandela Day action on 18 July. We will organise a ride to the gates of parliament and hand over a document that lays out the benefits of investing in bicycle mobility. .................