Spez Epic Comp Carbon 1x11 conversion

Zucs

Dear hubbers,

Apologies as I know this has been a much-discussed topic in the past (but not in relation to this specific bike, I believe...)

A very simple question: I have a 2014 Specialized Epic Comp Carbon, currently in a 2x10 setup, and am looking to convert the bike to a XT 1x11 Groupset (see link to the exact Groupset below). Will this work on my bike?

I am looking to buy the following Groupset off Chain Reaction Cycles (with the 170mm, 32t & "Bar Mount" options selected): http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/shimano-xt-1x11-drivetrain-groupset/rp-prod137311

My bike is unmodified from the factory-standard specs, other than a ZTR Crest / Hope wheel set which I have upgraded to. Full spec list here: http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Specialized/Epic-Comp-Carbon,13438

Thanks very much in advance for the help!

Dino

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also you will need to decide on the shift lever type depending on the brakes you have. You will need the bar mount lever unless you have the correct i-spec shimano brakes.

or rather buy and upgrade kit and keep your current crank so you don't have to fiddle with A new BB.

Either way this is going to be a nice upgrade. Enjoy :thumbup:

I put a full XT groupset on my Camber and needed a PF30 BB that could take 24mm crank spindles: 

http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/pf30-outboard/pf30-outboard-bottom-brackets/pressfit-30-to-outboard-bottom-bracket-for-24mm-cranks-shimano-black.html

You are only doing a 1x11 upgrade kit, so I assume that you will keep your crank arms and put a narrow/wide ring on.

The rest if not bike specific.

or rather buy and upgrade kit and keep your current crank so you don't have to fiddle with A new BB.

Either way this is going to be a nice upgrade. Enjoy :thumbup:

The only issue with the Comp Carbon is that it is sold with SRAM cranks. Not sure if you can find an XT chain ring that will fit a SRAM crank on the 1x11 config so as not to mess with the BB?

Options here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/shimano-xt-1x11sp-gear-kit-bundle/rp-prod142199

Full bike specs: SRAM S-1250, 7050 Alloy Arms, 10-Speed XC Double, PF30 Spindle, S: 170mm, Others: 175mm

Thanks very much for the very helpful replies everybody!

Now just need to try and work out if there is a way I can keep my current SRAM crank so as not to change the BB?!?

You can use any Narrow Wide Ring, it does not need to be XT specific. Have a look on evobikes at the Absolute Black rings or the Wolftooth rings. They will fit your SRAM crank just fine.

I have done this conversion on a mates bike and its running flawlessly. 

Hmm,

My 2 cents worth.

I did a 1 x 11 upgrade and after much fiddling have finally got it right. Some things to consider that I found along the way:

1.) XT shifters in 11 speed dont have multi release - only XTR do. So with the 1 x when you want to go fast after a climb and now a downhill - you sit and flick the shifter. Just something to brear in mind - drove me crazy. I changed the shifter to an XTR.

2.) I like a bit of speed - 32 spins out very quickly and 34 is pretty big to turn if you are a big guy and have a bit of weight. You will mess with front sprockets and cassettes a lot to find an ideal combo - Rapide have some nice options. As mentioned you dont need narrow/wide. I would suggest getting a gear calculator app and checking your current gearing. Especially if you crank big geras as 1 x 11 doesn't have that (unless you go to the ETHirteen cassette which has a 9 small ring)

3.) In the same vein as the above you may have to look at bigger cassettes than the ones available for the Shimano free body. The Sunrace 46 and the ETHirteen 44-9 but that requires an XO Freebody. 

I dont know SRAM components well, so there may be an option in their lineup, but if i was to do it again I wouldn't buy a complete upgrade kit, as i changed most of the kit i bought.

I would buy an XTR Shifter,

any 11 speed derailleur (clutch XT or XTR)

an E thirteen 44-9 cassettes and XO Freebody (Massive range)

SRAM or Raceface crankset that has more options for the chainrings (oval etc) than Shimano.

PLus you will need the appropriate BB.

It has taken a lot of time for me to learn to like the 1x 11 setup and even now i am not sure what the benefit is and why i did it. I had all the gears on my 3 x 10 setup, so it looks all nice and clean, but.

I did a similar conversion on a Giant last year. Don't replace your crankset - you are wasting money, your current crank will work 100%. Just buy the cassette, der, shifter, chain, and the NW chainring of your choice (many on offer - Rapide, Race Face, Absolute Black, and the list goes on) in a 104bcd with some chainring spacers (R30) for correct chainline.

EDIT: Just a note, It took me a while to find the correct chainring size. My first 1x setup was on a Giant Trance 27.5, I went from 32t to 34t, and back to 32t again. I now have a Spez Stumpy with Sram 1x setup - started with the 28t the bike came out with, didn't have top end speed, went to 32t, didn't have a nice climbing gear. I am now on a 30t Oval from Absolute Black, and I think I have found my sweet spot there. I will probably go 32t Oval when I am fitter and have lost a bit more weight. Important thing is to know that you probably are going to play around a bit to find the perfect front chainring size, but most people seem to settle on a 32t. I think it gives a perfect range if you are not a fattie like me!

Thanks again for all the responses everyone!

See below my revised order, after taking everybody's responses into account. I think the XTR shifter with multi-release makes sense. I also think a 34t front oval ring with Shimano's new 11-46 tooth cassette at the back gives nice range? (I am small, light and climb well...)

- Chainring: BLACK by Absoluteblack narrow wide oval single chainring (34t, 104mm)

- Shifter: Shimano XTR M9000 11 speed trigger shifter rear (bar mount)

- Derailleur: Shimano XT M8000 Shadow+ 11 speed rear mech (medium cage)

- Cassette: Shimano XT M8000 11 speed 11-46t

- Chain: Shimano Ultegra 6800-XT M8000 HG701 11 spd

Any final thoughts? Not sure whether to go for the "long" or "medium" cage derailleur...? Views on the 34t, 11-46 combo? Per the responses to this post, seems the Absoluteblack ring will fit fine on my current SRAM crank?

Thanks everybody! Exciting times...

I put a full XT groupset on my Camber and needed a PF30 BB that could take 24mm crank spindles: 

http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/pf30-outboard/pf30-outboard-bottom-brackets/pressfit-30-to-outboard-bottom-bracket-for-24mm-cranks-shimano-black.html

You are only doing a 1x11 upgrade kit, so I assume that you will keep your crank arms and put a narrow/wide ring on.

The rest if not bike specific.

Splat, see my final proposed config above. Any thoughts would be great??

Looks good! Nothing wrong with the XT cassette, and the 11-46 is the one I'd get (now that they're available)

yes the 104bcd ring is the one to get. And yes, you need a narrow wide for a 1x setup. Unless you have a chain guide.

Thanks again for all the responses everyone!

See below my revised order, after taking everybody's responses into account. I think the XTR shifter with multi-release makes sense. I also think a 34t front oval ring with Shimano's new 11-46 tooth cassette at the back gives nice range? (I am small, light and climb well...)

- Chainring: BLACK by Absoluteblack narrow wide oval single chainring (34t, 104mm)

- Shifter: Shimano XTR M9000 11 speed trigger shifter rear (bar mount)

- Derailleur: Shimano XT M8000 Shadow+ 11 speed rear mech (medium cage)

- Cassette: Shimano XT M8000 11 speed 11-46t

- Chain: Shimano Ultegra 6800-XT M8000 HG701 11 spd

Any final thoughts? Not sure whether to go for the "long" or "medium" cage derailleur...? Views on the 34t, 11-46 combo? Per the responses to this post, seems the Absoluteblack ring will fit fine on my current SRAM crank?

Thanks everybody! Exciting times...

Very nice! You will be happy!!

Hmm,

My 2 cents worth.

I did a 1 x 11 upgrade and after much fiddling have finally got it right. Some things to consider that I found along the way:

1.) XT shifters in 11 speed dont have multi release - only XTR do. So with the 1 x when you want to go fast after a climb and now a downhill - you sit and flick the shifter. Just something to brear in mind - drove me crazy. I changed the shifter to an XTR.

2.) I like a bit of speed - 32 spins out very quickly and 34 is pretty big to turn if you are a big guy and have a bit of weight. You will mess with front sprockets and cassettes a lot to find an ideal combo - Rapide have some nice options. As mentioned you dont need narrow/wide. I would suggest getting a gear calculator app and checking your current gearing. Especially if you crank big geras as 1 x 11 doesn't have that (unless you go to the ETHirteen cassette which has a 9 small ring)

3.) In the same vein as the above you may have to look at bigger cassettes than the ones available for the Shimano free body. The Sunrace 46 and the ETHirteen 44-9 but that requires an XO Freebody. 

I dont know SRAM components well, so there may be an option in their lineup, but if i was to do it again I wouldn't buy a complete upgrade kit, as i changed most of the kit i bought.

I would buy an XTR Shifter,

any 11 speed derailleur (clutch XT or XTR)

an E thirteen 44-9 cassettes and XO Freebody (Massive range)

SRAM or Raceface crankset that has more options for the chainrings (oval etc) than Shimano.

PLus you will need the appropriate BB.

It has taken a lot of time for me to learn to like the 1x 11 setup and even now i am not sure what the benefit is and why i did it. I had all the gears on my 3 x 10 setup, so it looks all nice and clean, but.

My XT i-spec 11 speed shifter can drop multiple gears at once? Or is mine broken for the better?

My XT i-spec 11 speed shifter can drop multiple gears at once? Or is mine broken for the better?

Both yours and mine. Sometimes mine even shifts two gears up!

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Archived