Upgrading my MERIDA Scultura 300 with Ultegra Full group set

rsdd.consulting

Hi,

I intend upgrading up Merida Scultura 300, with the current Tiagra, with the full Ultegra Group set. 50/34 with 11-28T. is this a good move.

Yes this would be a good upgrade, especially since this groupset is currently widely available on special prices.
You would probably however get more benefit from upgrading your wheels, if you have not already done so, and you could do a wheel upgrade for less than what the Ultegra groupset goes for.

If you are upgrading to Ultegra 6800 (11 speed) it is definitely a good move. The new Ultegra is as good as it gets. Super slick gear changes, great brakes, and lighter than your 4700 Tiagra if weight is important to you. Do it ! You will enjoy Ultegra.

Yes.

You should feel a difference from Tiagra to Ultegra.

Should be worth it

Edited by BeegMig

bleedToWin is correct regarding the wheels. I would probably also 1st change the wheels as you will feel the difference immediately. Later do the Ultegra upgrade.

If you are going Ultegra 11spd just check your wheels can take the 11spd cassette, otherwise it might turn into an unexpected wheel and groupset upgrade! Definitely worth upgrading though!

bleedToWin is correct regarding the wheels. I would probably also 1st change the wheels as you will feel the difference immediately. Later do the Ultegra upgrade.

Thank you for your suggestion really appreciate, especially me being a bit of a novice. What Wheel set do you suggest on a budget of about R3 - 5k.

I personally love the Amercan Classic range of wheels & the "budget": one is prestty good -

Evo has American Classic Victory 30 Tubeless Clincher Wheelset  ZAR 4295.- Weight +/- 1.5kg

I have two 11 speed road bikes.

One full Ultegra and the other full 105 (both 11 speed)

shifting on both are excellent - to be honest there is no big difference.

105 is about 180g (more or less?) heavier... at double the price

most of the weight lays with the crank (both 53/39 175mm) 78g and callipers (can not remember the exact difference)  - weighted it on my kitchen scale during building my bikes

If you do a google search there are people that gives the weight difference per component.

But never by Shimano self....might be that they know the price step up to the next range does not really justify the jump in price.

only for information  -not my intension to high jack this topic to a Sora vs Tiagra vs 105 vs Ultegra vs Dura Ace argument ... :whistling:

If I were the OP I would rather go 105 and wheels than only Ultegra

most of the weight lays with the crank (both 53/39 175mm) 78g and callipers (can not remember the exact difference)  - weighted it on my kitchen scale during building my bikes

If you do a google search there are people that gives the weight difference per component.

But never by Shimano self....might be that they know the price step up to the next range does not really justify the jump in price.

only for information  -not my intension to high jack this topic to a Sora vs Tiagra vs 105 vs Ultegra vs Dura Ace argument ... :whistling:

Agreed. 

If you are going Ultegra 11spd just check your wheels can take the 11spd cassette, otherwise it might turn into an unexpected wheel and groupset upgrade! Definitely worth upgrading though!

Yip, that's a BIG one.

Found that out last week with some very expensive wheels that only take 10-speed.

LBS may have a solution but who knows?

Correct. Very very little diference in performsnce but Ultegra is "nice"  :D

Thank you for your suggestion really appreciate, especially me being a bit of a novice. What Wheel set do you suggest on a budget of about R3 - 5k.

Fulcrum 5's. They are great wheels. The only problem is the red spoke nipples might clash with your color scheme ??

I personally love the Amercan Classic range of wheels & the "budget": one is prestty good -

Evo has American Classic Victory 30 Tubeless Clincher Wheelset  ZAR 4295.- Weight +/- 1.5kg

wheels now on special at CWC for 3350.00