Anyone using Zwift?

Good morning, Zwifters.

Has anyone tried to do a workout while riding with a pace partner? I don't think, depending on the zone/w/kg you're riding in, you'll stick around the entire ride, but i feel like it's a wasted sweatdrops, XP, and distance opportunity.

Tx

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

Good morning, Zwifters.

Has anyone tried to do a workout while riding with a pace partner? I don't think, depending on the zone/w/kg you're riding in, you'll stick around the entire ride, but i feel like it's a wasted sweatdrops, XP, and distance opportunity.

Tx

not sure if you will stay with group the whole time?

but you can do a workout in a meetup - if the workup creator selects the "keep everybody together "option, all riders stay together, and each rider can do his own workout.👌

36 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

Good morning, Zwifters.

Tx

I guess it depends on what kind of workout you're trying to do. If you find the right pace partner then steady state is very possible. You might just yo-yo off the front but once you hit the wind the group will catch you, you'll sit in the draft and go off the front again. Rinse and repeat.

I think the best kind of work out for pace partner rides is short 15-30 second sprints off the front, then sit up, get caught, recover, repeat.

Anything like 5 minute VO2max sessions and you'll just drop the group entirely and not benefit from that sweet sweet drops multiplier

32 minutes ago, Mongoose! said:

anybody here on the new Zwift play controllers yet? 

zwift 222.png

I've seen those. I think only available in a very select few European countries and the UK. And from what I understand they are still in Beta too. 

14 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

I've seen those. I think only available in a very select few European countries and the UK. And from what I understand they are still in Beta too. 

correct, I know it's still in beta, but still couldn't resist..:ph34r:. mine already through customs...  

should be here in two or three days I hope. {Aramex global shopper - was ordered 17.6.2023}

4 minutes ago, Mongoose! said:

correct, I know it's still in beta, but still couldn't resist..:ph34r:. mine already through customs...  

should be here in two or three days I hope. {Aramex global shopper - was ordered 17.6.2023}

I expect a full and honest review soon! What did you pay in ZAR, all-in-all?

23 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

I expect a full and honest review soon! What did you pay in ZAR, all-in-all?

👍

Edited by Mongoose!

3 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

Good morning, Zwifters.

Tx

I only use pace partner when doing a steady state workout, so mostly Z2 (HR) rides. Find the partner for the day that would match my planned TSS, and pedal away. 

Same as Frosty.  For my Z2 rides, I select an Pace Partner that is riding at a pace that is suitable.

However, there are times when they are either to "slow" or to fast for Z2 ...

7 minutes ago, agilwolf said:

Same as Frosty.  For my Z2 rides, I select an Pace Partner that is riding at a pace that is suitable.

However, there are times when they are either to "slow" or to fast for Z2 ...

Use the port to another group function. Keeps it all as one ride, but you’ll see the straight line where you jumped ship.

Here’s where I jumped from the 1.8W/Kg group after warming up to the 2.2W/Kg for the rest of the ride.

image.png.946dddac993830b2907139fc05959488.png

On 7/3/2023 at 2:26 PM, Frosty said:

Use the port to another group function. Keeps it all as one ride, but you’ll see the straight line where you jumped ship.

Here’s where I jumped from the 1.8W/Kg group after warming up to the 2.2W/Kg for the rest of the ride.

image.png.946dddac993830b2907139fc05959488.png

100%

However sometimes the "gaps" in the w/kg partners are to big.  Some days there's a bunch at around 1.8 with the next level being at 2.8...  No groups inbetween.  

Question regarding the "Companion app"

My setup has my PC and keyboard in the paincave ... so I have never tried out the companion app.

A friend is nudging me to use it ..... I will be having a look at their setup and how they use shortly.

In the mean time.  What is this all about ?  What are the advantages/uses ?

What should I be looking at/for during this visit ?

PS - I use a PC, they are running an Apple setup.

Edited by ChrisF

37 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Gives you the “quick” option to the bottom menu without have to use your mouse/keyboard combo. So changing views, hide/unhide heart rate and power lines, give the thumbs up, take a screenshot, switch from ERG/Incline on the fly and a few other options.

When doing very hard workouts, I like to change to ERG once the interval is done, to ensure I’m back into the target power as quick as possible. The change back to Incline about 5-10 seconds before the next hard interval.

Screenshots end up on my  phone photo album, so makes uploading select shots, to Strava, a little easier (for me).

49 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

My setup has my PC and keyboard in the paincave ... so I have never tried out the companion app.

A friend is nudging me to use it ..... I will be having a look at their setup and how they use shortly.

In the mean time.  What is this all about ?  What are the advantages/uses ?

What should I be looking at/for during this visit ?

PS - I use a PC, they are running an Apple setup.

For me it was to chat easier to people while riding, to be able to change view, access pause buttons. But due to bad internet it disconnected to often so I stopped using. It was basically a remote for bottom buttons and typing 

I use the Companion app all the time, in fact I use it for my BlueTooth connections to the trainer and HRM, find it way more stable than connecting directly to my PC that runs Zwift, never had issues. I mainly use the companion app to chat to other riders, take photos etc.