Am I being conned by my bike insurance company?

Saudiq

I've double checked my policy and nothing here says anything about an event? The event here was I dropped my chain under load (even if this is not ideal practice) which then resulted in the damage.

Did you buy the bike new?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

T's&C's "Special conditions and disclosures

You have given us the following information regarding the above-mentioned portable possessions, listed on your

XXXXX policy, which we used to calculate your super cheap monthly premium. Should any of the details below

change whilst you are covered by the XXXX, please let us know, as soon as you can, so that we can update your policy

schedule accordingly. Failure to do so may influence the validity of your claim.

Remember, incorrect details = incorrect cover.

The XXXXX endorsements

Valuation certificates should be supplied for all jewellery items which are valued at R 15,000.00 or more. It's super

important that you send us the relevant serial/IMEI numbers for your specified portable possessions, before any claim

is registered, otherwise you won't be covered for the theft or loss of these items."

That's it? I've removed the name and I don't want to be giving the guys a bad wrap if what they are saying is valid.

This looks like "Pure Savage super cheap insurance deals cc" 

Has your bike been regularly serviced?  If yes, then get a statement from your lbs confirming this and submit it to the insurance company.

I don't think servicing or not has anything to do with it. It is not a maintenance claim.

Consider your car, if you break a side-shaft whist driving your insurance company is not going to fix it for you, no matter how well you maintained your car.

Similarly, no claim on a bicycle should be entertained.

Did you buy the bike new?

Frame was purchased new about 4 years ago. Is this however relevant? My MTB I bought second hand, should I now be worried because I didn't buy it new?

Frame was purchased new about 4 years ago. Is this however relevant? My MTB I bought second hand, should I now be worried because I didn't buy it new?

Not really relevant to the insurers. Just make sure you have POP/transfer into your possession. They get sticky about that also in a theft. 

There are almost two stories of how the hole came about. 

1. inspecting frame and found a hole.

2. Doing intervals and chain suck happened. 

Did 2 cause you to do 1? 

Sorry its just confusing the way it was stated. If 2 was the event, you had an accident and should have claimed as such. I am not sure mentioning chain suck helped your cause.

I don't think servicing or not has anything to do with it. It is not a maintenance claim.

Consider your car, if you break a side-shaft whist driving your insurance company is not going to fix it for you, no matter how well you maintained your car.

Similarly, no claim on a bicycle should be entertained.

Not sure I understand your analogy. Are you saying if my side-shaft broke which resulted in me  loosing control of the car and smashed it then my claim shouldn't be entertained because I didn't have it serviced or maintained?

Not really relevant to the insurers. Just make sure you have POP/transfer into your possession. They get sticky about that also in a theft. 

Did 2 cause you to do 1? 

Sorry its just confusing the way it was stated. If 2 was the event, you had an accident and should have claimed as such. I am not sure mentioning chain suck helped your cause.

This. They're probably going the route of chain suck causing the incident. Which would mean they're going on a "badly maintained" or "worn" drivetrain being the cause of the crack / hole, and not an accident. Accident would have been claimable. 

Not sure I understand your analogy. Are you saying if my side-shaft broke which resulted in me  loosing control of the car and smashed it then my claim shouldn't be entertained because I didn't have it serviced or maintained?

No. If you'd crashed your bike as a result of the chain drop, that would have been an accident. 

Likewise the side shaft breaking isn't a claimable incident as it's a mechanical failure (like the chain suck) but the incident is.

Essentially, if the chain suck / drop caused you to crash, THEN it would be a claimable event. But now it's just being viewed as a wear and tear / mechanical failure through non-maintenance cause. 

Did 2 cause you to do 1? 

2 happened at some point, I was cleaning the bike and then 1 happened. It's in an inconspicuous spot so I would not have noticed it immediately. Some sport drink spilled over the weekend ride and while cleaning it off I noticed the hole. 

That still reads confusing but hope it makes sense? :)

Chain suck was mentioned in the assessment

you mentioned chain suck. That caused the crack, in your report. Chain suck is not an accident / crash. Therefore no cover... 

To further the car analogy. If your side shaft had broken and damaged the chassis, that's classed as incidental damage and won't be covered (mostly)

If the side shaft had broken, damaging the chassis which caused you to crash, that's an insurable incident. 

At least I think that's the way it works. 

Now if this happened to me the first thing I would have done was to phone my broker, who would have told me that the bike was damaged during normal use, and that he never heard anything about chain suck / poor maintenance from me, nor my bike shop (and he would have subsequently deleted the email with the bike shop assessment in it as well).

Same with the car analogy, he would have asked me (read told me) that the side shaft broke after impact, not before, to avoid any confusion as to who will be paying for the claim.

And that people, is why you need a good broker ;)

Now if this happened to me the first thing I would have done was to phone my broker, who would have told me that the bike was damaged during normal use, and that he never heard anything about chain suck / poor maintenance from me, nor my bike shop (and he would have subsequently deleted the email with the bike shop assessment in it as well).

Same with the car analogy, he would have asked me (read told me) that the side shaft broke after impact, not before, to avoid any confusion as to who will be paying for the claim.

And that people, is why you need a good broker ;)

And your location is listed as "The Moral Highground" ;)

I assume your bike is specified under all risk? Myles you sound like a clever oke what will the outcome be if he has got accidental damage under his contents , can he not claim for the damage there ?

you mentioned chain suck. That caused the crack, in your report. Chain suck is not an accident / crash. Therefore no cover... 

To further the car analogy. If your side shaft had broken and damaged the chassis, that's classed as incidental damage and won't be covered (mostly)

If the side shaft had broken, damaging the chassis which caused you to crash, that's an insurable incident. 

At least I think that's the way it works. 

:offtopic: (My post now, not yours)

Talking insurance etc - When my wife was released from hospital we told nurses, listen, she is lank faint. "No its normal after popping out a child" Camaf are cool, in hospital cover EVERYTHING. no 100, 200,400, 600% vibe. So I wanted this stuff checked before, and blood tests are free as well. 

Over weekend, does not feel great, get a blood test, missing a lot of blood. Need 4 pints of blood. 

Come to check in to hospital for said procedure, which I am furious about as they refused to do blood test before release. They want to book us in as a 'out patient; which Camaf does not cover. After a quick rant at reception, we were check in as an "in patient". After 24 hours and 4 blood bags lance would be proud of my wife could walk herself out of hospital.

Archived