Am I being conned by my bike insurance company?

Saudiq

Hi All,

I have a question regarding bike insurance and whether what my insurance company has told me is valid or are they looking for an excuse not to pay.

I recently noticed a fairly big hole at the bottom of my frame, close to the BB. I took it to my lbs and was told that the hole was caused by chain suck and that carbon frame has a crack in it. I've submitted my claim to my insurance and have been told that it's because 'my chain rings are worn' and if my bike was regularly serviced then this would have been avoidable and therefore they can't cover the claim.

Now no assessment was done to actually validate whether my chain rings are worn (it sounds like the assessor went and checked on google what chain suck means) and I fairly recently had my cables replaced, front derailleur set, new chain so there is no mechanical fault as far as I'm concerned. I dropped the chain because of the type of intervals that I was doing which requires me to rapidly switch between big blade and small blade to simulate rapid changes in cadence when racing or on the mountain. I also don't see it specified anywhere in my terms and conditions that in order for a claim to be valid on my bicycle I need to take it for regular services or that my chain rings have to be mechanically functional????

This is new insurance company that has offered unbelievable value which is why I switched, so the question now is, have I been suckered into paying for cheap insurance or is what they are saying valid? That I have no leg to stand on and no insurance company will cover this??

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard alot of stories when it comes to "Cheap" insurance companies...

Although if they dont stipulate that it should be taken for regular services and you can say that it is not normal wear and tear, they have no leg to stand on...

Tell them you are taking them to the ombud. Of they are new, they wouldn't want to come under scrutiny and will let their Sh#T go

Hope you come right!

Elephant in the room here:

I have recently noticed a fairly big hole at the bottom of my frame, close to the BB.

Did you just one day notice that your bike has a huge hole in it? Give us details on the incident. Did you notice when it happened?

Also, post some pics of your drivetrain, especially those chain rings.

Has your bike been regularly serviced?  If yes, then get a statement from your lbs confirming this and submit it to the insurance company.

I don't necessarily take my bike to LBS for all servicing because I'm fairly capable of doing this myself. My question though is, if there is nothing in my policy schedule which instructs me to have my bike serviced then can my claim be denied because it was not serviced by a LBS?

Are they denying your claim prior to an actual assessment of the bike?

If they are. They just shot themselves in the foot. And in doing so actually have no leg to stand on if the analogy makes sense. Go get'em. 

Elephant in the room here:

Did you just one day notice that your bike has a huge hole in it? Give us details on the incident. Did you notice when it happened?

Also, post some pics of your drivetrain, especially those chain rings.

Yup, noticed about a week ago and then took bike to LBS to check the frame. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

My question though is, even if they weren't/aren't in a good state, if there is nothing in my T's & C's that specifically states that claims will only be considered if damages are caused by mechanical parts that are in a sound state then can the claim be denied?

Yup, noticed about a week ago and then took bike to LBS to check the frame. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

My question though is, even if they weren't/aren't in a good state, if there is nothing in my T's & C's that specifically states that claims will only be considered if damages are caused by mechanical parts that are in a sound state then can the claim be denied?

Best read your policy document regarding when you can claim. Normally there has to be an event that gives rise to a claim. 

Example, if your wheels are not true and manages to rub on your fork so much that it creates a hole in the carbon. This is not an insurance claim. (Trust me,  I know)

T's&C's "Special conditions and disclosures
You have given us the following information regarding the above-mentioned portable possessions, listed on your
XXXXX policy, which we used to calculate your super cheap monthly premium. Should any of the details below
change whilst you are covered by the XXXX, please let us know, as soon as you can, so that we can update your policy
schedule accordingly. Failure to do so may influence the validity of your claim.
Remember, incorrect details = incorrect cover.

The XXXXX endorsements
Valuation certificates should be supplied for all jewellery items which are valued at R 15,000.00 or more. It's super
important that you send us the relevant serial/IMEI numbers for your specified portable possessions, before any claim
is registered, otherwise you won't be covered for the theft or loss of these items."

That's it? I've removed the name and I don't want to be giving the guys a bad wrap if what they are saying is valid.

Best read your policy document regarding when you can claim. Normally there has to be an event that gives rise to a claim. 

Example, if your wheels are not true and manages to rub on your fork so much that it creates a hole in the carbon. This is not an insurance claim. (Trust me,  I know)

I've double checked my policy and nothing here says anything about an event? The event here was I dropped my chain under load (even if this is not ideal practice) which then resulted in the damage.

T's&C's "Special conditions and disclosures

You have given us the following information regarding the above-mentioned portable possessions, listed on your

XXXXX policy, which we used to calculate your super cheap monthly premium. Should any of the details below

change whilst you are covered by the XXXX, please let us know, as soon as you can, so that we can update your policy

schedule accordingly. Failure to do so may influence the validity of your claim.

Remember, incorrect details = incorrect cover.

The XXXXX endorsements

Valuation certificates should be supplied for all jewellery items which are valued at R 15,000.00 or more. It's super

important that you send us the relevant serial/IMEI numbers for your specified portable possessions, before any claim

is registered, otherwise you won't be covered for the theft or loss of these items."

That's it? I've removed the name and I don't want to be giving the guys a bad wrap if what they are saying is valid.

Maybe I'm missing something, but none of this seems to be relevant to your issue.

Interesting to see "super cheap monthly premium" in the official document.

Remember that the policy is not the be-all and end-all. There are numerous legal obligations that rest on both the insurer and insured that need not be listed in the contract.

That being said, your contract (not just the policy summary) should list defined events that trigger the policy. You need to get your hands on that document.

Did you disclose to your insurer that you caused the damage?

Edited by ØÐINSȪƝ

I've double checked my policy and nothing here says anything about an event? The event here was I dropped my chain under load (even if this is not ideal practice) which then resulted in the damage.

I certainly don't see anything about an event in the section you posted.  And it only mentions coverage for loss or theft, neither of which would apply in your situation.