Am I being conned by my bike insurance company?

Saudiq

you mentioned chain suck. That caused the crack, in your report. Chain suck is not an accident / crash. Therefore no cover... 

To further the car analogy. If your side shaft had broken and damaged the chassis, that's classed as incidental damage and won't be covered (mostly)

If the side shaft had broken, damaging the chassis which caused you to crash, that's an insurable incident. 

At least I think that's the way it works. 

Yes, you are right on the first point.

If the accident was caused by neglected parts, they could also be within their right to repudiate a claim. Think wore out car tyre.

Either way, it doesnt sound like they are conning you, but I doubt that you would be having  this debate if you had "proper" cover :) Super Cheap Insurance is Super Cheap for a reason.

Chat to a broker.....

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were driving your car and the cambelt jumped a tooth (God forbid) and wreaked havoc on the valvetrain and holed a piston etc,you would have no claim on any insurance company..........

I think this is the difference between ACCIDENTAL & INCIDENTAL damage...

I don't think any insurance co would cover that.........

Sorry for your woes.

There are a number of great carbon repairers out there...one I know of is: http://cycledelic.co.za/index.php/contacts

Best of luck!

My guess is it's also just speculation on the part of the bike shop as to what the exact cause of the crack/hole was. How sure can they be that 'chain suck' was in fact the cause? You ride a mountain bike, stones fly around all the time. 

Also, as others have said already - the event that caused damage needs to be an 'accident' in order to claim from all risk. Whether you dropped it or didn't fasten it properly to your bike rack etc. is an accident - stick with those stories.

Edited by stefmeister

I don't necessarily take my bike to LBS for all servicing because I'm fairly capable of doing this myself. My question though is, if there is nothing in my policy schedule which instructs me to have my bike serviced then can my claim be denied because it was not serviced by a LBS?

Insurance is there to cover you for accidental damage and or theft, and not normal wear and tear.  But I would imagine an assessment should at least be done to determine the cause.

As with any insurance, there is lots that you dont get cover unless you specify, or request unspecified items.

When I did my first bicycle insurance, I asked if my frame cracks, whether I am riding in a race or practice will it be covered? same with parts like wheels fork, shock, and crank. I made sure I had all this covered on my policy. I still do.

so u can screw up ur own bike and claim? thats what im getting from this.

Yup, if you are riding and miss a corner and go into a plant pot. You get to claim accident damage. If you get switched in a sprint, accident damage. If you are taking your Gillet off and you face plant, accident damage.

so u can screw up ur own bike and claim? thats what im getting from this.

If it's an accident, yes.

If it's not an accident, no.

Please don't be that poephol who fukcs up and then lies to his insurer to get them to foot the bill for his mistake.

Edited by ØÐINSȪƝ

Personally, I'd suggest people just stick to the truth.

Unless you have a broker, he will conveniently delete the truth so that your claim goes through - I learn something new everyday on thehub  ^_^

Unless you have a broker, he will conveniently delete the truth so that your claim goes through - I learn something new everyday on thehub ^_^

Yip, so much for being fit & proper

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I don't think servicing or not has anything to do with it. It is not a maintenance claim.

Consider your car, if you break a side-shaft whist driving your insurance company is not going to fix it for you, no matter how well you maintained your car.

Similarly, no claim on a bicycle should be entertained.

And if the broken side shaft hit the ground and bounced up damaging the body work. Wouldn't they cover the body work?