Biltong

AlanD

Went to the butcher I always use last week. They had a special(well that's what they said it was). 3kilos of silverside for R240.

Hell, I paid R300 for 3KG's of meat.  Fudge!

(This morning at Uitkyk in Pretoria)

Edited by Cois

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell, I paid R300 for 3KG's of meat.  Fudge!

(This morning at Uitkyk in Pretoria)

This was at Eland slaghuis in Witfield, Boksburg. They often have good specials. 3 kilos of game wors for R120 and they have just about every bokkie under the sun. I pay about R45/kilo for a hind quarter and I never wait more than 24 hours to collect. 

But R300 still isn't bad.

got a R150 takealot voucher in my 2Oceans goodie bag....Just ordered a Biltong Maker for R200 bucks..bargain!

Gonna first try the pre-packaged and spiced PnP biltong ready meat..and then start experimenting with my own spicing

got a R150 takealot voucher in my 2Oceans goodie bag....Just ordered a Biltong Maker for R200 bucks..bargain!

Gonna first try the pre-packaged and spiced PnP biltong ready meat..and then start experimenting with my own spicing

At some stage give the crown national spices a go. I use a mixture of their chilli bite and safari spice. I even use it on food sometimes. I am lucky and have a crown national factory shop near me so am able to buy a 2kilo bag of each. It's a lot but when making biltong you waste a lot of spice.

If you had Momentum Multiply and where on private club that would then have cost you R160. (20% off takealot)

Got back from the butcher shop....

782fc88e18cfa0f85d2d5a104c7277bf.jpg

Now just have to wait for the first batch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Daai gaan 'n K@K huis vol biltong maak ! :w00t:

Daai gaan 'n K@K huis vol biltong maak ! :w00t:

Will trim a bit off for steak for a braai or two.

Looking for spice for Chili bytes. Anyone know where I can find some that bites back a bit?

Will trim a bit off for steak for a braai or two.

Looking for spice for Chili bytes. Anyone know where I can find some that bites back a bit?

Crown national. Not sure if there is a shop that sells it near you. They have a factory shop in long meadow business park, modderfontein. Their chilli bite mix has a nice bite. I "water" it down with their safari mix as the wife and baby eat the same as me.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

Crown national. Not sure if there is a shop that sells it near you. They have a factory shop in long meadow business park, modderfontein. Their chilli bite mix has a nice bite. I "water" it down with their safari mix as the wife and baby eat the same as me.

I sprinkle a little bit of peri peri with the chili crown national as dont find it too hot, not that i like it really hot anyways. Ibtried their traditional mix and its actually really nice, good for the kiddies.

Sweet.  Took some for the Rooibok Biltong I am making at the moment.  Just have to wait for the beef to dry, then it is the rooibok, then will give the beef chili bytes a go.

Asked the wife to swing past Kings Meat to check out the blend they have.

What I did to the beef was soak it in vinegar for an hour, and spiced it overnight with Crown National biltong mix.  Just added a little brown sugar and black pepper to the blend as a test.

Edited by Cois

Hi All,

For all you biltong lovers out there: I have an Ezidri food dryer for sale.

Make your own biltong at home. Dry that 'too wet' biltong further, to meet your taste.

Also good for drying fruit, and much else.

Please see attached photos. It is in excellent condition. Complete with instruction/ 'recipe' book.

Price: R2500.

You must collect. I live in Sandton.

Please PM me, should you be interested.

Thanks,

R.post-65378-0-45296100-1494229858_thumb.jpgpost-65378-0-84846300-1494229882_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

For all you biltong lovers out there: I have an Ezidri food dryer for sale.

Make your own biltong at home. Dry that 'too wet' biltong further, to meet your taste.

Also good for drying fruit, and much else.

Please see attached photos. It is in excellent condition. Complete with instruction/ 'recipe' book.

Price: R2500.

You must collect. I live in Sandton.

Please PM me, should you be interested.

Thanks,

R.attachicon.gifEzidri food dryer May 2017 Instructions.jpgattachicon.gifEzidri food dryer May 2017.jpg

Interesting machine indeed. But I do think you are a bit enthusiastic selling it on a Biltong thread where it is general knowledge that you can get a Biltong Dryer for sub R400.00

Interesting machine indeed. But I do think you are a bit enthusiastic selling it on a Biltong thread where it is general knowledge that you can get a Biltong Dryer for sub R400.00

That is a dehydrator.  Think it will be a great investment, but as Letum911 stated you can get cheaper products.  But the Easydri has its pace in the market as well.

It will be a great investment for beef jerky as it can run at heat thus slow cooking the meat as well.  Wonder if you can use it as a smoker...

Good price.

I wanted a 2KG piece to test run chilli bytes, but that would have set me back R92-00/KG

So after a moment of two of calculations, I took the whole cheaper piece.