Too early for Friday?

Da Vinci

It seems like there's a few too many people getting upset over this video. If you're having a negative emotional reaction to someone pointing out lawlessness then you probably need to evaluate why this is.

Casting aspersions/veiled insults against video creator speaks more to your character than it does his.

Yip. There is no other conclusion other than that those cyclists are breaking the law. You get what you give.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if we followed rules like not jumping red lights and they followed rules like not using their phones and drunk driving we'd die less?

Sadly, like I said in the Road Carnage thread, I think the problems in SA are so deep and numerous that it isn't something that can be solved in this decade.

Still - we should try and I feel keeping our own house clean might compel others to do the same. If it saves just one life it would be worth it. And at what cost? Putting a foot down at a red light and doing a little sprint interval instead of cruising along through it?

I agree that our house should be in order. My point though is if every single cyclist obeyed every single law all the time. The current "Safe cycling campaign" would not curb the murders on the road. 

Its not drivers vs cyclists, its just drivers. Everyone is so important in their cars and their trip. Even my FIL is a lost cause, he says when he gets in his car he has the right to not be held up by slower traffic. When pointing out the other road users are allowed to be on the road, he just says they annoy him when he has to slow down. (Shame, lifting the right foot for 7 seconds)

It is a VERY South African thing, my folks come from the UK, they indicate whenever they leave their lane, over take a car, move over for a cyclist, stopped bus etc. FIL, just swings out putting foot, zero indication to other road users. He also flashes his headlights at other drivers when they dont pull over etc. His "manhood" is very much tied to his driving  :unsure:

They are the real problem, they blame everyone on the road, but have zero respect for other road users.

I agree that our house should be in order. My point though is if every single cyclist obeyed every single law all the time. The current "Safe cycling campaign" would not curb the murders on the road. 

Its not drivers vs cyclists, its just drivers. Everyone is so important in their cars and their trip. Even my FIL is a lost cause, he says when he gets in his car he has the right to not be held up by slower traffic. When pointing out the other road users are allowed to be on the road, he just says they annoy him when he has to slow down. (Shame, lifting the right foot for 7 seconds)

It is a VERY South African thing, my folks come from the UK, they indicate whenever they leave their lane, over take a car, move over for a cyclist, stopped bus etc. FIL, just swings out putting foot, zero indication to other road users. He also flashes his headlights at other drivers when they dont pull over etc. His "manhood" is very much tied to his driving  :unsure:

They are the real problem, they blame everyone on the road, but have zero respect for other road users.

Jumping red lights is EXACTLY the thing as you accuse the drivers of doing....ME first, I am above the laws, I must get where I'm going without hassle etc. If they cycle like that then they'll drive like that. Oh the irony.

Sadly you are right though - cyclists are the most vulnerable road users and we are always the ones getting smashed/dying in any accident.

Agree with Pure Savage, until we can change the attitude of drivers towards cyclist, it's a lost cause.

Case in point: Returning from the Gregory Basson Memorial Ride on Saturday, we were a group of 12 cyclist returning to Durbanville on the R304. 

Just after we turned left on the R302 at the Silos's, we got into our formation of two abreast, following close to the wheel infront (there was a bit of a headwind).

We were cycling well within the at least two meters wide yellow/emergency lane, when a car approached us from behind, going fairly slowly. As we went over a side road entrance / exit, this young lady in the car just put her indicator on and proceeded to turn left, right into us. We managed to do so panic stopping, avoiding to ride into each other in the process.

This motorist then nonchalantly turned left and carried on driving up theroad, despite our shouts of protestation to her. All the while she had a cellphone glued to her ear.

Now there was no way that she could not see us, 12 cyclist in a tight formation, she was driving fairly slowly, etc. It would have taken her max 5 seconds to slow down sufficiently for her to be able to turn in behind us. This was just blatant disregard for us a fellow road users.

Jumping red lights is EXACTLY the thing as you accuse the drivers of doing....ME first, I am above the laws, I must get where I'm going without hassle etc. If they cycle like that then they'll drive like that. Oh the irony.

Sadly you are right though - cyclists are the most vulnerable road users and we are always the ones getting smashed/dying in any accident.

True, but one makes you a murderer, the other a knob. 

True, but one makes you a murderer, the other a knob. 

I get your point, but don't quite agree.  It is not the action itself that would make one a murderer.  Running a red light, to use your terminology, makes both of them a knob.  But one only becomes a murderer if the resulting consequence is that someone dies.  There are many "knobs" who run red lights in a vehicle but are not murderers.  Just like firing a gun doesn't make one a murderer.  Now if you choose to point it at another person and fire it, resulting in their death, different story.  

I get your point, but don't quite agree.  It is not the action itself that would make one a murderer.  Running a red light, to use your terminology, makes both of them a knob.  But one only becomes a murderer if the resulting consequence is that someone dies.  There are many "knobs" who run red lights in a vehicle but are not murderers.  Just like firing a gun doesn't make one a murderer.  Now if you choose to point it at another person and fire it, resulting in their death, different story.  

Over taking when its not safe to do so in a car should be seen as attempted murder, when it goes wrong, murder. You have a deadly weapon under your control and you are choosing to break the law. 

Drivers need to take responsibility, they chose to drive a deadly weapon, they have more responsibility. If I have a BB gun I can shoot that thing willy nilly in my back garden, no issue. If you had a gun you have to know that pulling the trigger could kill someone.

My point, all cyclists should obey all road rules. Drivers need to take responsibility for the weapon they are driving and the "safe cycling" campaigns are not doing that at all, they are moaning at cyclists. 

I am just tired of people trying to make a link between cyclists behavior and cyclists being murdered.  

If you're a cyclist who skips a red light, then you effectively exculpate the driver if he or she drove through the intersection and could not react to you in his/her lane and effectively injure or kill you because of your actions.

Edited by ØÐINSȪƝ

Shooting a BB gun in your garden is actually illegal.

Section 120 of the Firearms Control Act

True, but you are not going to kill someone. 

Shooting a BB gun in your garden is actually illegal.

Section 120 of the Firearms Control Act

True, but you are not going to kill someone. 

Not true.

A BB gun, NO.

A Pellet gun, YES.

Big difference between the two.

Just being pedantic. :whistling:

Not true.

A BB gun, NO.

A Pellet gun, YES.

Big difference between the two.

Just being pedantic. :whistling:

but you can't kill a starling with a BB gun... :ph34r:  #justsaying

but you can't kill a starling with a BB gun... :ph34r:  #justsaying

Who said you could?  :unsure:

With a pellet gun, definately (but that would be illegal.  ;) )