Convert to 1x11

Mad

Currently run 1x10. What must all be changed for a 1x11 conversion.

I would assume, rear deraileur, cluster, chain, front chain ring, cranks and then shifter. Must the rar hub also be changed.

If you plan you to go 1x11 with any Shimano, Box or Sram NX cassette you will not need to change the hub. If you want to go Sram cassette (other than NX) then you will need a Sram XD driver body for the Hub.

You will also not need to replace the crank, simply get the correct BCD chainring and use some spacers to get the correct chainline.

Ie, you will need to replace:

-Chainring

-Chain

-Cassette

-Rear deraillieur

-Shifter

-Freehub body (see above)

-Crank (only if you want a specific 1x crank)

If you do decide to go 1x maybe have a look at Box components (you will not need to change freehub body for this). Really awesome shifting - on par (if not better) with Sram XO1.

http://origincyclery.co.za/product-category/mtb/drivetrain/

Sram NX goes onto A normal free hub 

For the rest you'll need an XD driver.

Shimano and Box both go onto standard free hubs 

You DON'T need A 1x specific crank.

So at the least you'll need

shifter

Cassette

chain

chainring

Sram NX goes onto A normal free hub

For the rest you'll need an XD driver.

Shimano and Box both go onto standard free hubs

You DON'T need A 1x specific crank.

So at the least you'll need

shifter

Cassette

chain

chainring

Not even chainring.

All you need if you already have a narrow wide ring is cassette RD shifter and chain.

If you go Shimano or sunrace for the cassette you will be able to use your existing free hub body. If you want so.ething with a 9-10t small cog you'll need a SRAM XD driver.

You can use your existing crank. You can use your existing chainring. You just need what I've highlighted above. Unless your existing chainring is toast.

Not even chainring.

All you need if you already have a narrow wide ring is cassette RD shifter and chain.

If you go Shimano or sunrace for the cassette you will be able to use your existing free hub body. If you want so.ething with a 9-10t small cog you'll need a SRAM XD driver.

You can use your existing crank. You can use your existing chainring. You just need what I've highlighted above. Unless your existing chainring is toast.

Oh yeah I forgot the rear mech is also quite important  :D

Currently run 1x10. What must all be changed for a 1x11 conversion.

I would assume, rear deraileur, cluster, chain, front chain ring, cranks and then shifter. Must the rar hub also be changed.

I have just done the conversion from silky smooth X9 1X10 to clunky XT 1X11. I wish I had just bought a 11-42 1X10 Sunrace cassette.  I am not sure which system you current have, but I would seriously advise you to feel a shimano 1X11 system before buying.

I currently have Sram X1 1x11 on my bike. Want to take this over to my other bike which has Sram X7 2x10 on and then replace my bike with XTR 1x11

I have just done the conversion from silky smooth X9 1X10 to clunky XT 1X11. I wish I had just bought a 11-42 1X10 Sunrace cassette.  I am not sure which system you current have, but I would seriously advise you to feel a shimano 1X11 system before buying.

Glad I decided to go with sram then...

I have just done the conversion from silky smooth X9 1X10 to clunky XT 1X11. I wish I had just bought a 11-42 1X10 Sunrace cassette. I am not sure which system you current have, but I would seriously advise you to feel a shimano 1X11 system before buying.

You sure its setup correctly, my XT 1x11 is silky smooth.

You sure its setup correctly, my XT 1x11 is silky smooth.

Yip and it still has the cluck, cluck, cluck vibe. Could you recommend a tweak?

It is common complaint or recommendation. Some guys like the 'crispness' as they call it, while many think it is clunky and dislike it.

For me it was a step backwards and that why I recommended just trying it before buying it.

When looking at the SRAM etc, I also realized that unless you go for Eagle, most are running 10-42 or 11-42. That 11-46 Shimano cassette is not the greatest due to the massive jump between the two large cogs.

If you are only going to have 11-42 (and if you have long- or medium- cage 1X10 system), why not just change the cassette instead of the whole palava?

Edited by Baracuda

Yip and it still has the cluck, cluck, cluck vibe. Could you recommend a tweak?

It is common complaint or recommendation. Some guys like the 'crispness' as they call it, while many think it is clunky and dislike it.

For me it was a step backwards and that why I recommended just trying it before buying it.

When looking at the SRAM etc, I also realized that unless you go for Eagle, most are running 10-42 or 11-42. That 11-46 Shimano cassette is not the greatest due to the massive jump between the two large cogs.

If you are only going to have 11-42 (and if you have long- or medium- cage 1X10 system), why not just change the cassette instead of the whole palava?

Word of the day : Palava

I have walked around a few shops and felt the shift difference between SLX M7000 and XT M8000 and the XT definately feels more clunky, especially on downshifts (with and without the clutch engaged)...and this is with a mix of rear derailleurs!

The XT is so clunky and a little irritating to me, so much so that I am considering an SLX shifter when I make the jump to the XT groupset.

I suppose it depends on what you prefer....some people want to hear or feel that they have changed and some want a smooth shift and some are not bothered at all :D

I suppose the difference is where you guys feel the shifts are clunky I see them as a solid engagement. No farting around with has it shifted or not.

The only comparison is running SRAM x9 1x10 back in the day on my old Momsen SL729. The shifts were very "vague" in my opinion.

Anyway I am happy with my XT 1x 11. It was set up by the LBS that sold me my bike and it hasn't skipped a beat. Even Saturday with 4kg of mud on my bike it shifted every time I needed it to. And yes, I weighed my bike before and after washing it!!!

post-35569-0-50971800-1491810451_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)