Ironman 2018 - PE

clivem

So... time to replace my trusty old epix gear trisuit before Ironman. (While they look awesome, they're not as cheap as they used to be, after taxes it costs way more to import than buying the equivalent locally)

I decided on a one-piece (always found them very comfortable) with short sleeves as the bra-tan is getting a bit old and I want a bit more protection from the sun.

I've narrowed it down to one of the following:

Anyone with experience/recommendations on any of the above? No real preference on my side, all around R3000 but am leaning towards the HUUB as I like the idea of having pockets on the sides of the suit instead of the back where I have to perform my best contortionist/yoga moves to get a gel out

I have the 226 sleeveless which is awesome.

I also have the orca (rs1) with sleeves (I got bullied by a crazy sale :whistling: ) because I also wanted to get something with sleeves. It makes a big difference - I much prefer it.

My mate has the huub, (apart from oddly tight sleeves) he says its very comfortable. I quite like the look of huubs products, especially their wetsuits.

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the 226 sleeveless which is awesome.

I also have the orca (rs1) with sleeves (I got bullied by a crazy sale :whistling: ) because I also wanted to get something with sleeves. It makes a big difference - I much prefer it.

My mate has the huub, (apart from oddly tight sleeves) he says its very comfortable. I quite like the look of huubs products, especially their wetsuits.

bought myself one of those wetsuits last week, very impressed with it you can see that they make quality products .

So... time to replace my trusty old epix gear trisuit before Ironman. (While they look awesome, they're not as cheap as they used to be, after taxes it costs way more to import than buying the equivalent locally)

I decided on a one-piece (always found them very comfortable) with short sleeves as the bra-tan is getting a bit old and I want a bit more protection from the sun.

I've narrowed it down to one of the following:

Anyone with experience/recommendations on any of the above? No real preference on my side, all around R3000 but am leaning towards the HUUB as I like the idea of having pockets on the sides of the suit instead of the back where I have to perform my best contortionist/yoga moves to get a gel out

I just bought the 2xu compressed sleeve tri suit. Never owned a tri suit before but thought it would save me some time. Last year IM I was in transition for around 30 minutes in total. Not got it yet but i paid 92 pounds for it. Around 1500. All the 2018 suits coming into shops now so got great sale price on 2017 tri suit.

Looked at the same ones u did funny enough an settled on the one I could get cheap in my size. Also the 2xu is an Aussie brand an they should know the sun so hopefully it’s the best in the sun.

All 3 are good, mebbe check out eBay an possibly someone will be prepared to ship to za. I buy all my **** on eBay these days an buy older models. Got kayano 23 for 80 pounds a couple of weeks ago.

I just bought the 2xu compressed sleeve tri suit. Never owned a tri suit before but thought it would save me some time. Last year IM I was in transition for around 30 minutes in total. Not got it yet but i paid 92 pounds for it. Around 1500. All the 2018 suits coming into shops now so got great sale price on 2017 tri suit.

Looked at the same ones u did funny enough an settled on the one I could get cheap in my size. Also the 2xu is an Aussie brand an they should know the sun so hopefully it’s the best in the sun.

All 3 are good, mebbe check out eBay an possibly someone will be prepared to ship to za. I buy all my **** on eBay these days an buy older models. Got kayano 23 for 80 pounds a couple of weeks ago.

Would have been an option if we didn't get klapped 40% import duties. Then you still sit with the possibility of never receiving your package thanks to our not-so-dependable post office (Had this happen twice now)  

Have you looked at the stock at CycleFO. Worth a visit, they are in the Petervale shopping centre and stock Castelli and Sailfish trisuits. They're last years stock but it's all the same really. They have trisuits with and without sleeves, so I would go and try the stuff on, you don't want unnecessary chafe etc on race day!

Have you looked at the stock at CycleFO. Worth a visit, they are in the Petervale shopping centre and stock Castelli and Sailfish trisuits. They're last years stock but it's all the same really. They have trisuits with and without sleeves, so I would go and try the stuff on, you don't want unnecessary chafe etc on race day!

True that... I chaffed severely in 2015 IM; When I took my suit off for a shower after the race I knew that it was going to be an "interesting" shower. Even more so when I saw my wife's face when she looked at the suit (Shock/Horror). My tri suit was a bloody (literally) mess. I chaffed (severely) all along the chamois seam on the run. Had a smiley on my ass for 2 weeks tongue.png

As stiggy says, take a look http://cyclefo.co.za/product/castelli-mens-free-sanremo-tri-suit/

I have one and is very comfortable, saw quite a few of them in both red and yellow versions in EL this past weekend.

I also have just the shorts which I train in as I prefer to get use to minimal padding and not just on race day http://cyclefo.co.za/product/castelli-free-mens-tri-short/

Thanks guys, R1900 certainly a lot more palatable than R3000. Will have a look. 

Would have been an option if we didn't get klapped 40% import duties. Then you still sit with the possibility of never receiving your package thanks to our not-so-dependable post office (Had this happen twice now)

Can have it delivered to my house. I bring it with when I come for PE.

There,will be a bike shop at the ironman expo who will be able to give a bike a look over.

Bike storage, not sure.

Where are you coming from?

Thank you. 

From Louisiana, USA

Thank you. 

From Louisiana, USA

Are you flying with your bike?

I am, it’s going in a bike box so should be ok.

Just a heads up, if you fly one of the low cost airlines in South Africa to PE they have a surcharge for bicycles of 300 per leg. Bikes are not included in permissible baggage even if you under the 20 kilos. Mango charged me 600 return from JHB to PE.

Can have it delivered to my house. I bring it with when I come for PE.

Thanks for the offer, appreciate it. I want to have a few sessions in the suit before race day though (Firm believer in the "don't try anything new on race day" mantra)

my worst fear on the day is sun...been training a lot with degrees under 5 C ... a hot day with lots of sun gonna hurt me I reckon.

At least the swim will be more pleasant on a hot day!

my worst fear on the day is sun...been training a lot with degrees under 5 C ... a hot day with lots of sun gonna hurt me I reckon.

Archived