Ironman 2018 - PE

clivem

I wouldn't dare for now.

Like previously mentioned, IM is all about what you want to get out of it. I made peace with my 14hr race/day. That hour thingy is just a number for some... To me it is the journey to get there and on the day, the crowds and family that you try to hide the pain from.

If you are a competitive person and would like to be in the top 20th percentile, then wait till 2019. However, if you are like me..all the potential but not enough training (sic), then give it a go. Then 2019 will be your new PB  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most definitely will do Sir  :thumbup:

to this day I still regret not going to the awards dinner at my first IM, i could hardly walk but i should of gone.... they are amazingly superlative evenings where the human spirit is applauded and the room is filled with like minded individuals so you know the effort etc that's gone into each and every start and finish...

maybe i am a romantic but hey, that's part of the allure i guess.

The IM vibe in PE makes me very emotional on the day leading up to and the event itself.... it has expanded my boundaries of what is considered possible in ways that i cannot describe....from chain smoking couch man hahaha..

Done a nice build program for the last couple of months, next 2 weeks my attention is on EL70.3 then full on with greater focus on the running this year for PE.  Finished last year 11:52hrs... aiming to try to get that to a sub 11hr this year!!

Happy training and stay healthy and injury free for the next 3 months!!

You know Shaper, hats off to you sir.... a sub 11 is superlative. the time it takes, the motivation, the discipline the sheer will to achieve a sub 11 cannot be over estimated. Even if i could run a sub 4 marathon i doubt i would get under 11.

Good luck with this, its a worthy goal.

What is the total immersion technique?  I'll try anything to speed things up in the water! 

hahaha... I have swum my whole life. Luckily I was doing swim correction at 5 years old and swam my first sea mile at Fish Hoek at 7 years old. I never really learned bad habits.

Clicked off some big swims, Kommetjie to Hout Bay, lots of Robben Island variations, some proper cold swims as well in like 2 degree water. Technique is probably 75% of open water swimming. I can also seriously recommend looking at the total immersion technique and trying to adapt your stroke to something similar. It's hard work but it make you SUPER efficient in the water, especially in the chop

Just got an email from ironman Europe, apparently African champs nearly sold out. Dunno if that’s a marketing splash or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am participating in the 2018 Ironman PE. Could anyone recommend bike shop there to get a check up before the race as well as bike storage? 

Thank you

Hello,

I am participating in the 2018 Ironman PE. Could anyone recommend bike shop there to get a check up before the race as well as bike storage? 

Thank you

There,will be a bike shop at the ironman expo who will be able to give a bike a look over.

Bike storage, not sure.

Where are you coming from?

Like previously mentioned, IM is all about what you want to get out of it. I made peace with my 14hr race/day. That hour thingy is just a number for some... To me it is the journey to get there and on the day, the crowds and family that you try to hide the pain from.

If you are a competitive person and would like to be in the top 20th percentile, then wait till 2019. However, if you are like me..all the potential but not enough training (sic), then give it a go. Then 2019 will be your new PB  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Just have to say that I have huge respect for full Ironman finishers. Your time does not matter. You started, and finished. 

So... time to replace my trusty old epix gear trisuit before Ironman. (While they look awesome, they're not as cheap as they used to be, after taxes it costs way more to import than buying the equivalent locally)

I decided on a one-piece (always found them very comfortable) with short sleeves as the bra-tan is getting a bit old and I want a bit more protection from the sun.

I've narrowed it down to one of the following:

Anyone with experience/recommendations on any of the above? No real preference on my side, all around R3000 but am leaning towards the HUUB as I like the idea of having pockets on the sides of the suit instead of the back where I have to perform my best contortionist/yoga moves to get a gel out

So... time to replace my trusty old epix gear trisuit before Ironman. (While they look awesome, they're not as cheap as they used to be, after taxes it costs way more to import than buying the equivalent locally)

I decided on a one-piece (always found them very comfortable) with short sleeves as the bra-tan is getting a bit old and I want a bit more protection from the sun.

Anyone with experience/recommendations on any of the above? No real preference on my side, all around R3000 but am leaning towards the HUUB as I like the idea of having pockets on the sides of the suit instead of the back where I have to perform my best contortionist/yoga moves to get a gel out

I have the HUUB and its great. The pockets are smallish and I do miss a 3rd (middle) pocket.. I would happily buy it again though.

I have the HUUB and its great. The pockets are smallish and I do miss a 3rd (middle) pocket.. I would happily buy it again though.

Oops.. Sorry, I have the DS and not the Core.

Oops.. Sorry, I have the DS and not the Core.

Like the Dave Scott one too, not too sure I like paying R2000 more for it though  :unsure:

I have the exact HUUB trisuit, but the female version. It was super comfortable. Just did EL in it, and I loved it. The padding is a little less than I am used to, so had a bit of extra sit bone pain, but it went away quickly. I didn't chafe anywhere, and the side pockets were enough for my needs. The band on the thigh fits nicely and does not create any kind of muffin effect, so it looked good. 

I managed to put two High 5 gels in the one side pocket, and the other just had a contact lens case. You do need to be careful about putting sunblock on your back before you start however as the sun will get through the mesh panels. I have some very interesting burn marks. 

Archived