Ironman 2018 - PE

clivem

....and the 2014/2015 course is actually the old new course with the old course before that consisting of 3 x 60km loops.... :P

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have done both, the 2015 had double the elevation and double the strain. in 2016 I was an hour quicker on the bike course as an indication...the "new" course is almost like cheating compared to "that" course of 2015.

While I thought the 2015 course was extreme (esp as the wind was blowing the wrong way) I thought the 2016/7 course was a little easy however its still 180 km's.

The new course has around 1000 metres of climb over 180 km's the old course had 1700 metres of climb.

Music to my ears  :clap:

....and the 2014/2015 course is actually the old new course with the old course before that consisting of 3 x 60km loops.... :P

The old old course of 3 x 60 was even easier I reckon.

Whichever course it is the wind on the day determines yr day I guess.

2015 I thought was particularly tough cos the back section was all uphill and coming round the corner at the bottom of maitland ( think it’s called that) and the headwind meant it was uphill for 180 kms.... hurts the run too

2015 I thought was particularly tough cos the back section was all uphill and coming round the corner at the bottom of maitland ( think it’s called that) and the headwind meant it was uphill for 180 kms.... hurts the run too

I certainly remember hurting for 220 odd km's (Swim was fine) :P

I agree with you, but as you say, in PE the wind can turn a 'tame' course into a beast!

Eish...Wish I didn't see this  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Aaaahhh the memories, or should I say nightmares...Was my first full, one of the toughest days I've had, but very rewarding limping down that red carpet. That year had a very high DNS and DNF rate if memory serves. They say west is best in PE but not so much when it gusts to 80km/h...

Had all sorts that day. They were contemplating turning it into a duathlon the night before as the sea was angry, luckily not. Remember putting on the wetsuit in pouring rain, having a choppy swim, very tough bike with the wind picking up every lap, doing the walk/shuffle/run in rain and wind at times and finishing with a longsleeve top and beanie on!!!

Aaaahhh the memories, or should I say nightmares...Was my first full, one of the toughest days I've had, but very rewarding limping down that red carpet. That year had a very high DNS and DNF rate if memory serves. They say west is best in PE but not so much when it gusts to 80km/h...

Had all sorts that day. They were contemplating turning it into a duathlon the night before as the sea was angry, luckily not. Remember putting on the wetsuit in pouring rain, having a choppy swim, very tough bike with the wind picking up every lap, doing the walk/shuffle/run in rain and wind at times and finishing with a longsleeve top and beanie on!!!

I finish so late at night I always got a jumper on. Sucks to be slow.

I finish so late at night I always got a jumper on. Sucks to be slow.

Know exactly what you mean, I'm in the 15-16.30 range.

Hi everyone

Sorry to hijack this thread, but thought I may as well ask. I have a goal to participate in IM PE in 2019, giving myself nearly 18 months to prepare. I have only ever participated in one sprint triathlon (December 2017), however I am a cyclist and regularly do rides and races in excess of 120/130 km.

I started attending swimming classes for stroke correction and strength training in November 2017 as well as running. I now frequently run 10km to 12km and my furthest to date is a 18km (planning on a 21km run end of Jan 2018.

My questions are:

• What is the furthest I should run in training for the event (should I attempt a 42 or will regular 30 km runs do?
  • Assuming open water swimming is the best, what distance should I aim for? Current training sessions are 2 to 2.5 km swimming sessions, however it is in a pool.

I am training with a friend who has already completed 2 full IMs, but he is as tough as nails and can manage to get through an event like this easier than I could mentally.

Regards

Mark

Mark, I would definitely suggest you can comfortably run a marathon.

I would suggest doing a few halfs and marathons over the next 18 months to get used to it.

Running 42.2km with 184km in your legs is not for kids. 

Hi everyone

Sorry to hijack this thread, but thought I may as well ask. I have a goal to participate in IM PE in 2019, giving myself nearly 18 months to prepare. I have only ever participated in one sprint triathlon (December 2017), however I am a cyclist and regularly do rides and races in excess of 120/130 km.

I started attending swimming classes for stroke correction and strength training in November 2017 as well as running. I now frequently run 10km to 12km and my furthest to date is a 18km (planning on a 21km run end of Jan 2018.

My questions are:

• What is the furthest I should run in training for the event (should I attempt a 42 or will regular 30 km runs do?
  • Assuming open water swimming is the best, what distance should I aim for? Current training sessions are 2 to 2.5 km swimming sessions, however it is in a pool.

I am training with a friend who has already completed 2 full IMs, but he is as tough as nails and can manage to get through an event like this easier than I could mentally.

Regards

Mark

I suggest looking for a structured plan. It will help you avoid over-training. Shaper posted this link, which has some great plans: https://www.trainingpeaks.com/the-sufferfest.HTML

Training Peaks is also an awesome tool to watch your progress, and make sure you hit the correct fitness levels before IM. I have also heard that the Be Iron Fit training plans have worked for many athletes. You can probably buy the book online, which contains a bunch of training plans in it. '

And, it sounds like you are almost ready for a 70.3 as is. Look at doing Durban Ultra in March, or Durban 70.3 in June. It would be good practice. 

I'm with Jewbacca here. Running your first marathon is a build-up process and an accomplishment on it's own! 

Archived