Ironman 2018 - PE

clivem

Hi peeps!  Hope the training is going well

Any word on the bike course?  I've heard that they may change the route from last year due to road works...

I liked last years bike course, hope it stays the same.

Edited by DA\/ID

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eish...

Hahaha! And how did your wife respond? 

Happy training. Maybe I see you down there as I am thinking about going down to support my tri group. 

Hahaha! And how did your wife respond? 

Happy training. Maybe I see you down there as I am thinking about going down to support my tri group.

My lovely wife actually encouraged me to enter, I was telling her how a friends training was going and she said, well you should enter, I blinked in the pregnant pause while surreptitiously digging out my credit card and entering on the site before a Change of mind. ;). Damn expensive and have to work out all the logistics now. Ahh well

You know, if you have the opportunity to come down to pe for the weekend you should. It’s a magic moment in time and the vibe and highs and lows and the sheer brilliance of the event can’t but rub off on you to do it yourself at some point. It’s magical

3 Months to go boys and girls, hope everyones training is going according to plan!

I am in for 14 hours...simple as that. I have been training but not specifically for this so will need to focus on IM now. Also put on a few kgs here in winter so will need to try trim down...means no beer ...damn...and no steak an ale pies, damn...

I am in for 14 hours...simple as that. I have been training but not specifically for this so will need to focus on IM now. Also put on a few kgs here in winter so will need to try trim down...means no beer ...damn...and no steak an ale pies, damn...

+1 for 14hrs  :thumbup:  More to enjoy it again, live in the moment than to break myself

Done a nice build program for the last couple of months, next 2 weeks my attention is on EL70.3 then full on with greater focus on the running this year for PE.  Finished last year 11:52hrs... aiming to try to get that to a sub 11hr this year!!

Happy training and stay healthy and injury free for the next 3 months!!

SO my travel arrangement changed drastically over the holidays which now means i will be travelling from JHB to PE on the 12th and returning the 17th alone. so if anyone is wanting a lift let me know. I have a 4 bike platform so can bring your bike with.

SO my travel arrangement changed drastically over the holidays which now means i will be travelling from JHB to PE on the 12th and returning the 17th alone. so if anyone is wanting a lift let me know. I have a 4 bike platform so can bring your bike with.

Might need to take you up on that squire, especially down. Need to work out all my logistics and see what’s what.

Many thanks, very kind offer

My lovely wife actually encouraged me to enter, I was telling her how a friends training was going and she said, well you should enter, I blinked in the pregnant pause while surreptitiously digging out my credit card and entering on the site before a Change of mind. ;). Damn expensive and have to work out all the logistics now. Ahh well

You know, if you have the opportunity to come down to pe for the weekend you should. It’s a magic moment in time and the vibe and highs and lows and the sheer brilliance of the event can’t but rub off on you to do it yourself at some point. It’s magical

That is epic. Maybe she wants you out of the house so she can have more time to herself.  :ph34r:  :D

Just kidding of course. Having a supportive spouse is really mandatory. 

I had a killer cycle on Saturday (even saw Chris Froome!!), but was reduced to walking home 7 kays into Sunday run..  :(

Good old runners knee has got me good, out of nowhere. Dr Google hasn't been able to help me yet..

Skipping EL luckily, but going for Durban Ultra, then the big one, hoping for sub 12 this year!

I liked last years bike course, hope it stays the same.

Anyone here that have done both the old and new bike courses? I did the "old" course in 2015, was wondering how it compares to the new.

Anyone here that have done both the old and new bike courses? I did the "old" course in 2015, was wondering how it compares to the new.

I have done both, the 2015 had double the elevation and double the strain. in 2016 I was an hour quicker on the bike course as an indication...the "new" course is almost like cheating compared to "that" course of 2015.

While I thought the 2015 course was extreme (esp as the wind was blowing the wrong way) I thought the 2016/7 course was a little easy however its still 180 km's.

The new course has around 1000 metres of climb over 180 km's the old course had 1700 metres of climb.