Ironman 2018 - PE

clivem

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well well well. A sub 14 which was totally not expected as I was still recovering from flu but all in all a good day out.

Swam without wetsuit, what a blessing that was an while it may have cost me some time I relished the freedom of not having it.

Bike was tough for me, just could not get air into my lungs so stopped a lot. While it was not hot the temps were high for me and I suffered. Wind also played a bit nasty on the 4 th leg.

Run, well up popped a PB for me at IM for the run. Totally unexpected but temps had dropped aN I could breathe better.

All in all, a lekker day. Also my last. That’s it.

Well well well. A sub 14 which was totally not expected as I was still recovering from flu but all in all a good day out.

Swam without wetsuit, what a blessing that was an while it may have cost me some time I relished the freedom of not having it.

Bike was tough for me, just could not get air into my lungs so stopped a lot. While it was not hot the temps were high for me and I suffered. Wind also played a bit nasty on the 4 th leg.

Run, well up popped a PB for me at IM for the run. Totally unexpected but temps had dropped aN I could breathe better.

All in all, a lekker day. Also my last. That’s it.

Well done IceCreamMan... 

Sat riveted to tv waiting for mate's laaaitie to come in, just for SS to go to "highlights" just when he finished....

WTF???? Really???? I am so gatvol for Gerald de Kock's voice... maybe not so much his voice, as him saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over and the again in the "highlights"...

F..CK. :cursing:   :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:

PB for me, totally unexpected, swim was pretty much as expected with a 1:18-ish, bike little bit quicker with a 6:28 (expected around 7)lower back was killing me from 90km in. I suspect it was due to

me riding in Aero bars a lot more than usual due to the flat course. (Normally I sit up on the uphills)Run was the big surprise with a 5:03 (taking into consideration my PB on a normal marathon is 4:40)

Finished with a total time of 13:11 which Im very chuffed with, cutting around 2.5 hours off my last time in 2015

If I look at the downloads on Strava the differences in elevation for the same ride is astounding. How is that possible.

If I look at the downloads on Strava the differences in elevation for the same ride is astounding. How is that possible.

What did you get? Got 1588m with Fenix 3. Must still check the garmin 500.

Strangely Garmin connect has it pretty much as advertised with 1292m. Not sure why Strava would be out by so much

Edited by Craai

Strava gets the elevations readings from your unit which in most cases uses barometric readings to determine elevation. I think the wind factor messes the accuracy of this

If you were strava from your PC there is an option to correct the revelation to standard points based on known elevations

Then ppl will have a more similar elevation

What did you get? Got 1588m with Fenix 3. Must still check the garmin 500.

Strangely Garmin connect has it pretty much as advertised with 1292m. Not sure why Strava would be out by so much

Garmin Edge 510 gave me 905 metres last year with Tomtom I got 838.

Was standing next to the penalty area, became a huge backlog of cyclists at one stage. I asked one of the ref’s in the penalty tent why so many penalties this year? He said even he was astounded at one of the marshall’s that was going nuts issuing time penalties for the bike segment

Saw photos of huge groups that were bunched together.

Well done guys!! Awesome achievement, was great fun to watch on the tv. You guys were exceptional.