Who knows why a chain gets lube on the outside?

carbon29er

It's Friday hey hey.... time to put this chain lube back into its box

Nevermind all the theories, no matter what it's going to happen so accept it and move onto the next topic

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's Friday hey hey.... time to put this chain lube back into its box

Nevermind all the theories, no matter what it's going to happen so accept it and move onto the next topic

You may need a water based lube for that whether it's Friday or not!

my nightshifted mind is not putting emphasis on viscous creep, capillary action etc, but rather macroscopic effects such as mechanical reduction in volumes between chain rollers, bushings and pins, which squeezes lube out, and contact between chainring/cassette teeth and chains squeezing out more viscous forms of lubrication.

Once mechanically pursuaded to leave the variable volume between rollers and pins, other macroscopic effects such as gravity and centrifugal forces

in a nutshell, i need to go home and sleep! :D

You need help - not just for sleeping!!

You may need a water based lube for that whether it's Friday or not!

Water.... now u mention it ( I really did not want to go there but seeing you started....)

water could be the solution to Carbon29's lubrication dilemma. Just water would work as a lubricant and collect less on the outside plates while attracting less dirt as it would clean and lubricate at the same time.

Water is also more freely available while out riding, as long as you keep it constantly wet it will work

Water.... now u mention it ( I really did not want to go there but seeing you started....)

water could be the solution to Carbon29's lubrication dilemma. Just water would work as a lubricant and collect less on the outside plates while attracting less dirt as it would clean and lubricate at the same time.

Water is also more freely available while out riding, as long as you keep it constantly wet it will work

Even better if you blend in a bit of Dihydrogen Oxide from a spray bottle for a bit of extra homeopathic joy!

Even better if you blend in a bit of Dihydrogen Oxide from a spray bottle for a bit of extra homeopathic joy!

Dangerous stuff to be putting in a spray bottle.

Dangerous stuff to be putting in a spray bottle.

True....it's a solvent. Got to be bad for the environment..... :ph34r:

True....it's a solvent. Got to be bad for the environment..... :ph34r:

Studies have shown that animals exposed to the substance will suffer from cellular oxidation and will eventually die.

Studies have shown that animals exposed to the substance will suffer from cellular oxidation and will eventually die.

I think you are talking about irony oxide which rusts the brain? If it's cellular decay, it's more likely to be carbony than irony. Science rocks!

I think you are talking about irony oxide which rusts the brain? If it's cellular decay, it's more likely to be carbony than irony. Science rocks!

If it's cell based, it'll all be getting too cell-y......

Mod note: It may be Friday, but let's put the handbags down, refrain from personal attacks and stick to this topic.

So based on the knowledge gleaned from the logical replies to my original question, which is the best type of lube to use on a dry tar use road bike?

Objective is to minimise transmission noise and maximise the longevity of the chain and reduce the residue on the outside of the chain and on the teeth and jockey wheels and reduce necessity to clean said residue from chain and components.

Type being main product ingredients rather than brand but as most brands claim some form of unique patented property, listing the brand and type might be beneficial.

So based on the knowledge gleaned from the logical replies to my original question, which is the best type of lube to use on a dry tar use road bike?

Objective is to minimise transmission noise and maximise the longevity of the chain and reduce the residue on the outside of the chain and on the teeth and jockey wheels and reduce necessity to clean said residue from chain and components.

Type being main product ingredients rather than brand but as most brands claim some form of unique patented property, listing the brand and type might be beneficial.

Maybe I'm being silly but on a road bike I use oil and on a MTB I use Squirt wax. My thinking is that proper oil it actually better, it's been used for time eternal in keeping things moving smoothly.

Wax is water soluble so it's easier to clean after its been mixed with mud and muck from a trail and you don't have to do a solvent shake to get the chain clean.

Wax on a MTB chain also keeps ponds and puddles clean on the trails. One less oil contamination. Although there aren't many puddles in CTP currently.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

The clever guys at veloplus have done extensive testing on this and the winning chain lube was PETRUS

They take online orders and I could be persuaded to help obtain some if required

https://www.veloplus.ch/Mobile/SchmiermittelFettMontagepaste/SchmiermittelfuerKette/PETRUSSCHMIERSTOFFderTestsiegervonVELOPLUS.aspx

Archived