Tokai open on Freedom Day (27 Apr, 2017) - Bike Mob

(Deon)

post-13110-0-94701400-1493062562_thumb.png

I'll leave this here because it has as much to do with trails as it does opening Tokai on the upcoming public holiday on Thursday. (Check out the Facebook link below..)

The guys at Bike Mob in the Westlake Lifestyle Centre didn't for one moment hesitate to get behind TokaMTB's latest plan to open the trails on the 27th April for Freedom Day. The idea started a few weeks ago when The Bike Park at Uitsig were the first to answer our call to donate the funds needed to open Tokai to the public on Human Rights Day, and we're glad they did.

We needed a donor for Freedom Day and Bike Mob, seeing the need to give the public a place to play on their day off, graciously accepted to provide the funds but it didn't end there.. you'll want to read the rest if you haven't already heard about a new trail opening in Tokai – yes, new trail! 

https://www.facebook.com/tokaimtb/posts/633643900162695

Edited by (Deon)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Deon, Bikemob and everyone involved in working for Tokai. Very stoked and appreciative of the efforts, funds and continue support that allows us to go mess about on bikes in such a great spot. 

As an aside, how much does a day cost to put on? There are a lot of hubbers that own businesses and I'm sure that if they could, they would... or maybe a bit of crowdfunding like GoFundMe?

Well done Deon, Bikemob and everyone involved in working for Tokai. Very stoked and appreciative of the efforts, funds and continue support that allows us to go mess about on bikes in such a great spot. 

As an aside, how much does a day cost to put on? There are a lot of hubbers that own businesses and I'm sure that if they could, they would... or maybe a bit of crowdfunding like GoFundMe?

I think I could speak on behalf of the committee by saying that we'd prefer the money goes into the trails. The value of opening for a few extra days vs having amazing trails we can ride everyday just can't compare.

I was listening to the process in place to remove all the trees and by the sounds of things, we could have a weekday access by September. The contractor however is pushing to trickle the timber into the market and SANParks are having none of it, preferring they flood the market to get the job done 6 months sooner.

Based on the price to open Tokai for the day, this financial contribution could add up to nearly R40k by September if Tokai was to open only 2 extra days per month. Imagine what we could have if these willing donors were to contribute to our trail fund?

Worth considering.

That said, we're over the moon Bike Mob accepted the request and as result, some of the funds can be used to start the work on the new trail.

Edited by (Deon)

I think I could speak on behalf of the committee by saying that we'd prefer the money goes into the trails. The value of opening for a few extra days vs having amazing trails we can ride everyday just can't compare.

I was listening to the process in place to remove all the trees and by the sounds of things, we could have a weekday access by September. The contractor however is pushing to trickle the timber into the market and SANParks are having none of it, preferring they flood the market to get the job done 6 months sooner.

Based on the price to open Tokai for the day, this financial contribution could add up to nearly R40k by September if Tokai was to open only 2 extra days per month. Imagine what we could have if these willing donors were to contribute to our trail fund?

Worth considering.

That said, we're over the moon Bike Mob accepted the request and as result, some of the funds can be used to start the work on the new trail.

Thanks Deon, 

always good to know what the issues are and the bigger picture that you guys are working towards. As alway, just a massive thanks for everything you guys do. Do you have any kind of crowd funding or donation platform / guides / targets for builds and costs?  

A crowd funding initiative would probably be pretty cool.

If Fokofpolisiekar can raise over R700k in 2 months for a new album, I'm sure there would be some merit.

If the contractor needs to be paid and the overflow goes into trail building would it be possible to speed up the process/keep it going?

As we don't know the in's and out's of the arrangements it's great to scream ideas out but sometimes we are a bit off topic and not relevant.

But it may be something to consider even as a long term plan for trail funding and build days/machine costs etc.... even if it can't help speed up the clearing of the 'gums

LEKKER!!!!!

another access from Silvermine would put a big smile on my face. (Will there be any change to the anti clockwise only silvermine routing?)

I took the liberty of doing an artist impression of what it would look like.

post-1830-0-22475100-1493113186_thumb.jpg

LEKKER!!!!!

another access from Silvermine would put a big smile on my face. (Will there be any change to the anti clockwise only silvermine routing?)

I took the liberty of doing an artist impression of what it would look like.

attachicon.giftokaidonkey.jpg

Oh that's funny.

Donkey Kong.. Just hilarious!!

A crowd funding initiative would probably be pretty cool.

If Fokofpolisiekar can raise over R700k in 2 months for a new album, I'm sure there would be some merit.

If the contractor needs to be paid and the overflow goes into trail building would it be possible to speed up the process/keep it going?

As we don't know the in's and out's of the arrangements it's great to scream ideas out but sometimes we are a bit off topic and not relevant.

But it may be something to consider even as a long term plan for trail funding and build days/machine costs etc.... even if it can't help speed up the clearing of the 'gums

You know what, it doesn't matter if you're slightly off, any input is always welcome and if P'kar could raise that, then I see your point!

How about a club with a massive prize as incentive to join - and cheap entry I might add!! Like CHEAP! Also not kidding about the massive prize. 

Kudos to BikeMob for sponsoring a public holiday so that they trails are open. Awesome!  :thumbup:

Same for their contribution to new trails. Super exciting!  :clap:

Any idea when the Donkey Kong trail will be ready and ride-able?

Oh that's funny.

Donkey Kong.. Just hilarious!!

glad you liked it..just seemed so obvious too me! let's roll barrels from the top once it's done!

Kudos to BikeMob for sponsoring a public holiday so that they trails are open. Awesome!  :thumbup:

Same for their contribution to new trails. Super exciting!  :clap:

Any idea when the Donkey Kong trail will be ready and ride-able?

should be able to start on it early may. Depends how much work is needed, obvs. 

Hi, sounds very exciting! Well done on creating/re-inventing/maintaining a growing network of trails! Thanks!!

Quick questions from a potential first-timer:
a. entrance is R75? day permit?

b. what is the total distance that can be ridden?

c. where do I get a map to plot the potential route and see where it goes? I will be riding alone and might not see others to show me potentials. Or is this a straight, marked, circular route?

Thanks again

You know what, it doesn't matter if you're slightly off, any input is always welcome and if P'kar could raise that, then I see your point!

How about a club with a massive prize as incentive to join - and cheap entry I might add!! Like CHEAP! Also not kidding about the massive prize. 

RE the club, I believe this was brought up at the AGM, but there was no real discussion on subsidised park entry...

if

club membership + park entry < current annual permit, then I'm all in...

but if

club membership + park entry > current annual permit, them mmmm not so much....

why pay more? Will they allow discounted park permit fees?

Hi, sounds very exciting! Well done on creating/re-inventing/maintaining a growing network of trails! Thanks!!

Quick questions from a potential first-timer:

a. entrance is R75? day permit?

b. what is the total distance that can be ridden?

c. where do I get a map to plot the potential route and see where it goes? I will be riding alone and might not see others to show me potentials. Or is this a straight, marked, circular route?

Thanks again

I'm sure others will reply shortly:

R75/day, also allows entry to other parts of Table Mountain (new trails that have recently opened up)

KM's depends...I'll let others answer that cause I stick to same DH routes mostly....typically I will do each of the 6 DH trails with about 15k's under the belt, including the climb and freewheel back.

Map here: http://tokaimtb.co.za/trails/

My advice, try to hook up with someone who has ridden there, the trails are well marked but as with riding any new place for the first time, you may miss a few signs....

Edited by capediver

RE the club, I believe this was brought up at the AGM, but there was no real discussion on subsidised park entry...

if

but if

As I think was also discussed at the AGM, what you (and the rest of us) would like does not fit in with SANParks modus operandi. 

The real question you and everyone else needs to ask is "Do I want a growing network of trails at Tokai despite TMNP's lack of input? " Yes? Okay, then join the club for a truly negligible  amount and help make that a reality. 

if

but if

What Headshot said.

The total cost of permit + membership = Tygerberg membership

The Tokai trails will sooner shut down before Pretoria approves budget to maintain bicycle paths.

Tygerberg will be your next closest trail park, so think of it this way; how many trips to the north before you've matched the contribution we are asking that would have kept Tokai open = 1 (maybe not even that.)