Hip bags, fanny packs... is this a thing now?

T-Bob

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

577526c27700e2d191d742d2121ecbb2.jpg

3d42bc3d8eb4dd0edbb7ec9e14388a9f.jpg

I gave the fanny pack a go on a SS ride today. Worked so well that I forgot about it. Haters gonna hate but it has earned itself another test ride.

I gave the fanny pack a go on a SS ride today. Worked so well that I forgot about it. Haters gonna hate but it has earned itself another test ride.

race-elite-3-black-silver-3bb.jpg

Ha, ha. I also gave the inov8 one a roll today through Tokai... and I take it all back. The Fanny pack goes good. So it was over about 2.5hrs and was perfect for that kind of quick / medium hit. I was surprised about the amount of room in the Innov8 but I wouldn't like to run it full as I think ti might move about a bit.

So I packed it with: 

- 2 Bombs & connector

- Gillet

- Tube

- Levers

- Phone

- Chain links

- Bank cards, medical cards, drivers, ICE contacts

- Multi tool

- Mini Leatherman

- cash

- Muesli bar

- Water bottle (part of pack)

and I still had room to spare. Annoyingly there was no where to pack my knee pads but I just dropped them to my shins for the pedaling so no biggie. That said i wouldn't be so keen abut that in the heat of summer (and maybe the solo bottle wouldn't be enough).

The inov8 caught my eye basically from this thread, PhillipV and the fact it was R250. Not a bad price to try to look as cool as The Rock in the 90's! Essentially it's a trail running pack but works great for pedal power. 

Fit wise it was a bit odd to dial in but once you got the tightness right and shifted it centrally then it felt great, it just clicked in to place and made sense. You do need to get used to the feeling of having a big booty or the slight man nappy feeling but that only lasts about 10 minutes. 

One thing I started thinking right away was why the makers don't have a set of belt loops built in to the back that you can thread it through as that would aid stability a lot. Not that I ever really found it flapping about but I think there is room for improvement. I would imagine clothing makers incorporating a clip in system in baggies that would anchor it to the hips rather then going all around the waist. 

On the trail: 

It was never noticed. It was good not to have a pack on (not that I've ever really minded and quite like a pack as a kinda mtb comfort blanket). The hip pack didn't move about, it didn't come loose and locating the bottle / removing the retaining strap, drinking an replacing was easy when stopped and a little harder to get used to when pedaling but by no means difficult. 

A plus is that it's snug enough to fit under a jersey... that's not from a vanity / don't look at my fanny pack side but with a fairly waterlogged Tokai today and no marsh guard there was a fair bit of spray going on... and also it does cover up the Fanny P is you're feeling a bit like the 90's weren't so kind to you. 

Final thoughts? The Fanny Pack / Hip Pack is a good idea for those who fancy not having a pack all the time but it comes with limitations. The freedom is great but there is room for improvement but you have to remember this is a R250 trail running pack (including bottle) not something specifically designed for our sort like the Source Hipster or the Camelbak Palos, both of which cost alot more. The bottle option rather than the bladder option of the camel bak may seem a bit low tech but having rode with a friend who had a CB Palos with bladder and a tube that wrapped around his waist it did look like he was trying to blow himself every time he wanted a drink.

Will it get another run? For sure. Short blasts like Tokai, Hoogies, Conti's it's ideal for less than 3hrs. Longer runs like Jonkers then I would head back to the pack. Peadally routes where wearing pads might only be used for a small sections the lack of storage options might annoy. Need a shock pump? Nah. You could fit a slime bottle in and alot more food but I wouldn't like to ride it maxed out as I think it could start washing about in twisty corners and lack of separations in the 2 pockets is an issue when you have a phone and a bomb rubbing up against each other. 

Bottom Line: I'm happy they brought back the pack. I really like this Innov8 option at the price to be able to give it a test and might keep an eye out for a well priced MTB specific option along the line. Maybe one with a 2l bladder so I can take it into the summer and know I'm going to be fully hydrated. 

https://www.inov-8store.co.za/equipment/packs/race-elite-3-black-silver.html

Edited by hellocolour

I think the most important thing is to make sure you colour coordinate with your leg warmers.

Well seeing as the DHers wear pyjamas, the Enduro crowd look like they escaped out of a bad 80s Gym party, the singlespeeders all look drunk, roadies wear spandex, rich roadies wear fishnet stocking with Rapha logos on and all of us look like mushroom heads with our helmets, I don't think any of us can wave a stick at another bicycle rider about looks.

We're all screwed. None of us look lekker. With or without fannypacks.

Well seeing as the DHers wear pyjamas, the Enduro crowd look like they escaped out of a bad 80s Gym party, the singlespeeders all look drunk, roadies wear spandex, rich roadies wear fishnet stocking with Rapha logos on and all of us look like mushroom heads with our helmets, I don't think any of us can wave a stick at another bicycle rider about looks.

We're all screwed. None of us look lekker. With or without fannypacks.

Gold! 

• 4 weeks later...

It's Nearly a month later, and I'm choosing the fanny pack over my hydration pack every ride.

I think it's the best 250 ZAR's I've ever spent,

Repack

http://singletrackworld.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2017/06/PastedGraphic-8-copy-640x257.jpg

Edited by hellocolour

Looks pretty big. 

http://singletrackworld.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2017/06/DSC07037-640x427.jpg

http://singletrackworld.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2017/06/DSC07035-640x427.jpg

Not convinced about the whole tube / wrap around vibe... 

http://singletrackworld.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2017/06/DSC07033-640x427.jpg

That looks terrible. 

Don't think the model is doing it any favours, it looks bulky and not exactly done up. It looks sort of too small to carry pack amounts and too big to get the whole 'not carrying much' feeling.

Will stick with the R250 special that PhillipV posted. 

While I was looking I saw the 2018 KUDUs with the back protector and zip off main pack. Very nice. 

Edited by hellocolour

http://singletrackworld.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2017/06/DSC07023-640x427.jpg