[Event] The 36ONE MTB Challenge 2018

Tanya De Abreu Fernandes

From the summit of Rooiberg to CP3 is roughly 26km give or take........I think they have moved the waterpoint/added for this section. I could be wrong  :whistling:

I measured more or less to the one that was at the bottom (before you turn right towards the mountain). Last year they dished out water at the top, but I felt that was more of a temporary one due to the heat.

You're right about the long schlepp into Calitzdorp from the top....

At least we know what's waiting.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we may end up riding together. Plan is to do under 24h at 18kph avg. Allowing myself 10min at every WP and 20min at the CP.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

We have a group of around 6 aiming for similar timing, so we might have ourselves a small pelaton!

I measured more or less to the one that was at the bottom (before you turn right towards the mountain). Last year they dished out water at the top, but I felt that was more of a temporary one due to the heat.

You're right about the long schlepp into Calitzdorp from the top....

At least we know what's waiting.

"Last year they dished out water at the top"

Nobody there when I reached the top, must have happened later in the day.

"Last year they dished out water at the top"

Nobody there when I reached the top, must have happened later in the day.

It was around just after midday last year that I came upon this water point at the beginning of the descent off Rooiberg....... The engine was burning and this was an absolute God send!! 

Nobody there when I reached the top, must have happened later in the day.[/size][/font][/color]

Got to the top at about 12:30

It was a quick slap up water point.....but SO beneficial! Ice cold water was served..... I'm surprised you did see it.....But I do know they were low on water when we got there.....

Nobody there when I reached the top, must have happened later in the day.[/size][/font][/color]

Got to the top at about 12:30

It was a quick slap up water point.....but SO beneficial! Ice cold water was served..... I'm surprised you did see it.....But I do know they were low on water when we got there.....

Maybe my vision was blurred at that stage from the pain, but ya missed that one, went over about 11:00.

Edited by GAP

What do you guys put in your boxes? From what I gather there is no need for food/drink etc, maybe just refills of 'gummyberry juice - whatever your poison' for your bottles?

Maybe some warm kit in the 1st box depending on the weather?

Some sunscreen and an extra light for the 3rd box in case you go into the second night?

I guess it will all depend on your target & personal preferences but would appreciate some input from the 'old hands'.

What do you guys put in your boxes? From what I gather there is no need for food/drink etc, maybe just refills of 'gummyberry juice - whatever your poison' for your bottles?

Some sunscreen and an extra light for the 3rd box in case you go into the second night?

I guess it will all depend on your target & personal preferences but would appreciate some input from the 'old hands'.

my box contents 

cp1 - extra kit in case its really cold, spare water bottles, spare batteries

cp2 - arm warmers/cycling top, buff (I'm planning on taking off all the warm kit), spare water bottles, sunscreen, gatsalf, tube, toothbrush & toothpaste (great to wake you up)

cp3 - my wife will be at CP3 so no need for a box but: rehidrate, sunscreen, gatsalf, spare bottles, tube, spare batteries 

my box contents 

cp2 - arm warmers/cycling top, buff (I'm planning on taking off all the warm kit), spare water bottles, sunscreen, gatsalf, tube, toothbrush & toothpaste (great to wake you up)

cp3 - my wife will be at CP3 so no need for a box but: rehidrate, sunscreen, gatsalf, spare bottles, tube, spare batteries 

Thanks Fanie! My wife was planning to meet me at all the checkpoints but I was thinking of discouraging her to do so, especially for CP2 as I will probably get there at a stupid time.

CP3. I presume the cell reception is good enough to alert them about an hour or so out? Not sure where she will be at that time.

This year, going with minimal.

Last two years, it was 3 boxes and then 1 box with change of kit respectively only at CP2

This year, I doubt I'll be putting in any boxes. I find I waste too much time faffing over this.

My bike:

Will have an endurance battery which lasts me the whole night (Friday) and still have some left over + a small battery which will give me another 3-5hrs if I need it. + a powerbank for my Garmin if needed (All Taped) to my top tube.

A "small petrol tank" top tube bag with some gels, rennies, and my fav powder mix.

I will carry two 750ml bottles on the bike + small saddle bag with plugkit , bomb and regulator

I might carry a bladderless camelbak with sunscreen, armwarmers, mini pump and place to stash away jacket and warm stuff if not needed. (Oh, and some empty jip lock bags to raid the checkpoint of dateballs and and for pad kos...lol!)  :clap:

That's about it...... :ph34r:

Thanks Fanie! My wife was planning to meet me at all the checkpoints but I was thinking of discouraging her to do so, especially for CP2 as I will probably get there at a stupid time.

CP3. I presume the cell reception is good enough to alert them about an hour or so out? Not sure where she will be at that time.

You can alert her at the top of Rooiberg...... Enough time for her to drive out to Calitzdorp and for you to get there at around same time, Im sure....

my box contents 

Last time when we did it, we did not plan to go into the 2nd night, and also the box setup was different, box 1 was sent to CP1 & 3. So we dropped all our warm kit in box 2 at CP2, 

we ran into some difficulty, and ended up going into night 2 with no warm kit. Was a big mistake... 

So make sure you keep some warm kit you! and also have spare batteries with you. 

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated!

For a first timer I guess it is a 'plan for the worst' scenario as per Leon's post.Plan for 36.09 hours...

Been following this thread with too much interest for my future health, I'm sure...

Verrrrrry interesting.

Anyone with doubts, suffering, or maybe even thinking of quitting at any point, just remember there are sad people like me out there, envious of you  :)

Good luck all.