[Event] The 36ONE MTB Challenge 2018

Tanya De Abreu Fernandes

if you are doing this you should be sh$%^ yoursefl right now - dont believe what they say "its easy" "just take it slow" "pace yourself" 

You will suffer - you will invent new swear words - you will have a ass that will not recover in 3 months - hardegat

you will hate cycling and promise yourself not to cycle for 4 years once you reach the end 

you will LOVE every second of it , but only the next day once you finished 

good luck to all - I did this on a hard tail - proud to say

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you are doing this you should be sh$%^ yoursefl right now - dont believe what they say "its easy" "just take it slow" "pace yourself" 

You will suffer - you will invent new swear words - you will have a ass that will not recover in 3 months - hardegat

you will hate cycling and promise yourself not to cycle for 4 years once you reach the end 

you will LOVE every second of it , but only the next day once you finished 

good luck to all - I did this on a hard tail - proud to say

Indeed, and on Tuesday we take up the early bird entry for 2019!

Well done to everyone that participated (and finished) this awesome race, and team Tortured Souls, excellent stuff in winning again, you guys are machines!

A BIG thank you to all involved in running this event, The people manning the various waterholes were great (especially WP5), the marshals, the medics, everyone contributed to make this one to remember. Thank you.

I finished....maybe it's time to dust off those golf clubs again?

Until next year

Wow, what an event! I only did the 180km, but that has given me a new respect for the guys that took on the 360, it's a massive achievememt to finish that distance on an mtb - well done to everyone who finished!

Next year will hopefully be the year I join you guys on the full.

Good luck to everyone, but a special good luck to Waldo!! Hammer

Yoh - what a ride by Waldo. While he didn't quite get to the first water point in first place, he made up for that later.

We spent about 230kms together, and in that time I went through several emotional states, all directed solely at Waldo. It was fantastic having another person to share the work with, to talk to, and just to break the monotony of the never ending road ahead. But that all changed to hatred and animosity as soon as we hit those false flats - 1 or 2 percent drags that would go on for ever. Waldo's inner demon of death would come out and he would rip our legs off. I had to tap out several times. When I wasn't dying behind Waldo, I was hoping for some proper climbs, or some downhills, or some technical stuff - anything else apart from a false flat!

Well done to everyone who started. Just have the tenacity to consider a race like this is an achievement, and to those that finished - excellent job. Those that didn't - I know you'll be back next year stronger and fitter and more determined.

Lastly - well done to Dryland once again - another proper event.

Edited by Velouria

What Leon the Pro said.

I'd use the boxes, but send my support crew to fetch them as soon as they see you, while you settle in and enjoy a few pancakes, an ostrich sosatie and a cup of tea.

If they serve Tea, I might just have to consider entering for next year

If they serve Tea, I might just have to consider entering for next year

I pulled a bit of a dirty one on my partner - promised him tea at checkpoint 3, and then when we got there told him there was no time for tea, and that I'd make it up for him when we got back to our B&B. Five kilometres out of the checkpoint and I realised I'd left my legs behind. So much for being in a rush!

I pulled a bit of a dirty one on my partner - promised him tea at checkpoint 3, and then when we got there told him there was no time for tea, and that I'd make it up for him when we got back to our B&B. Five kilometres out of the checkpoint and I realised I'd left my legs behind. So much for being in a rush!

So...you have to go back next year.

"We have a stupid rule - if you win your category, you have to go back to defend your title. And we both know that despite everything we might say, we don't know how to not be competitive."

So...you have to go back next year.

"We have a stupid rule - if you win your category, you have to go back to defend your title. And we both know that despite everything we might say, we don't know how to not be competitive."

No - we have torn up the rule book and, for good measure, I have given up cycling.

We tried really hard this year not to win. Under trained, last minute preparations (we only got to Oudtshoorn at 15h15 on Friday, and handed in our boxes with minutes to spare), starting at the back of the start chute etc etc. We even sighed a massive sigh of relief when we saw the PowerBar guys - the same guys who convincingly beat us 5 years ago.

Competitive lawn bowls is my new sport.

Waldo sneaked a 7th overall!! Well done boet!! Some real hammering! 

I am claiming your peak fitness was from the 12 hours of killarney when we kept you out there for 11 hours straight!! (And some magic hands)

Where is the war stories from the rest of the people on this forum who took part...or are they still riding.

Where is the war stories from the rest of the people on this forum who took part...or are they still riding.

The war is being fought within my body right now ... millions of evil devils are wreaking havoc in every limb. My earlobes are even sore!

Well done to everyone that took part. It's a crazy ride.

Yoh - what a ride by Waldo. While he didn't quite get to the first water point in first place, he made up for that later.

We spent about 230kms together, and in that time I went through several emotional states, all directed solely at Waldo. It was fantastic having another person to share the work with, to talk to, and just to break the monotony of the never ending road ahead. But that all changed to hatred and animosity as soon as we hit those false flats - 1 or 2 percent drags that would go on for ever. Waldo's inner demon of death would come out and he would rip our legs off. I had to tap out several times. When I wasn't dying behind Waldo, I was hoping for some proper climbs, or some downhills, or some technical stuff - anything else apart from a false flat!

Well done to everyone who started. Just have the tenacity to consider a race like this is an achievement, and to those that finished - excellent job. Those that didn't - I know you'll be back next year stronger and fitter and more determined.

Lastly - well done to Dryland once again - another proper event.

lol, I vowed to start slow this year after last years' disaster and maybe started too slow. When I saw the two monsters come past the group I was in, at a rate of knots I might add... I threw a hail mary and tried to latch on. It worked but when I realised who it was I was a bit star struck... I'm ridding with legends! It was such a lekker ride and I (for a change) had fun riding with great company, thanks guys!

Waldo sneaked a 7th overall!! Well done boet!! Some real hammering! 

I am claiming your peak fitness was from the 12 hours of killarney when we kept you out there for 11 hours straight!! (And some magic hands)

My legs have not been the same after that massage from Brendon... I can definitely confirm those are magic hands and propose a new tradition at DC for him to massage the whole team before the race so we can perform at our best  :thumbup: