Cycling Safety

Pretorim

DABgK4gXcAANahk.jpg

People generally drive like crap, are impatient, and have disregard for traffic laws. But these are accidents, no driver runs a cyclist over because they don`t like cyclists or have a bad attitude towards cyclists. The mind of the driver is naturally tuned in to look for threats on the road = other cars and trucks. A cyclist is not a threat to the car/truck driver and is small in comparison therefor much more likely not to be seen.

Edit: Except maybe for the 1 recent case in Somerset West where it seems a driver purposefully knocked a cyclist over.

Edited by Qwerty123

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People generally drive like crap, are impatient, and have disregard for traffic laws. But these are accidents, no driver runs a cyclist over because they don`t like cyclists or have a bad attitude towards cyclists. The mind of the driver is naturally tuned in to look for threats on the road = other cars and trucks. A cyclist is not a threat to the car/truck driver and is small in comparison therefor much more likely not to be seen.

Edit: Except maybe for the 1 recent case in Somerset West where it seems a driver purposefully knocked a cyclist over.

I agree with your post RE people driving poorly ... but I do not agree that the actions as described can be called "accidents". Speeding, reckless driving, jumping a stop sign or red light and hitting a pedestrian / cyclist / another vehicle is certainly no accident, and should never be treated so by their insurance companies or by the law if there is legal action to be taken. Recklessness is intentional. 

An accident is if you are driving within the legal framework and something happens outside of your control causing a collision.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/accident

I see a guy trying very hard, but failing, to be the Assos Man.

you are right ... if he shaves his chest, tummy and "down-under-where-the-sun-don't-shine" he would then qualify!

I agree with your post RE people driving poorly ... but I do not agree that the actions as described can be called "accidents". Speeding, reckless driving, jumping a stop sign or red light and hitting a pedestrian / cyclist / another vehicle is certainly no accident, and should never be treated so by their insurance companies or by the law if there is legal action to be taken. Recklessness is intentional. 

An accident is if you are driving within the legal framework and something happens outside of your control causing a collision.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/accident

Usually for it not to be an accident there has to be intention. Like Burry`s accident, the taxi driver broke a traffic law and was reckless, yet it was still an accident. But I agree that a drunk driver hitting a cyclist is not an accident.

Usually for it not to be an accident there has to be intention. Like Burry`s accident, the taxi driver broke a traffic law and was reckless, yet it was still an accident. But I agree that a drunk driver hitting a cyclist is not an accident.

How would negligence fit into the picture. I am assuming jumping a red light / stop street / definitely speeding would fall under negligent driving and certainly breaking the law?

Asking as I am really interested and not wanting to start a Friday thread.

How would negligence fit into the picture. I am assuming jumping a red light / stop street / definitely speeding would fall under negligent driving and certainly breaking the law?

Asking as I am really interested and not wanting to start a Friday thread.

These are traffic offenses and not criminal offenses (except for speeding I think, which is criminal if it is a lot above the limit - I`m not 100% sure). Many cyclists get hit without any traffic offense, many get hit with a minor traffic offense, many get hit with a criminal traffic offense. In all these cases there is no intention to hit the cyclist and the law seems very lenient towards the driver. What makes this a lot worse is the fact that law enforcement on the roads are so bad as well as the fact that most traffic offenses goes unpunished even when the driver is caught.

These are traffic offenses and not criminal offenses (except for speeding I think, which is criminal if it is a lot above the limit - I`m not 100% sure). Many cyclists get hit without any traffic offense, many get hit with a minor traffic offense, many get hit with a criminal traffic offense. In all these cases there is no intention to hit the cyclist and the law seems very lenient towards the driver. What makes this a lot worse is the fact that law enforcement on the roads are so bad as well as the fact that most traffic offenses goes unpunished even when the driver is caught.

pity one could not argue the fact that if you willy nilly fire a gun in public, not aiming it at anyone, or with the intention to harm ...... and someone gets hit ... well then it is an accident?

that is the way my mind is working currently on this topic.

pity one could not argue the fact that if you willy nilly fire a gun in public, not aiming it at anyone, or with the intention to harm ...... and someone gets hit ... well then it is an accident?

that is the way my mind is working currently on this topic.

Like that short guy in his bathroom? He also said it was an accident.

Like that short guy in his bathroom? He also said it was an accident.

you lost me there

All four shots were accidental....

• 2 months later...

n the Koos Roux case (the cyclist killed on Bottelary Rd in May 2013), we have finally reached the end of the road. Geoffrey Merrick was found guilty on four charges, culpable homicide being the main one. Sentencing takes place on 22 August and we are hoping for a harsh sentence. The PPA Office will be at the Kuilsrivier court for the sentencing and you are welcome to join us as we stage a silent protest. 

Please attend!!