South Africa and Self-Funding Policy

PietSw

Via Central Gauteng Cycling Facebook Page.

South Africa and Self-Funding Policy :

Due to the current economic climate and limited funding and as part of our cost cutting and financial management discipline Cycling South Africa has instituted a few very important measures. One of these is the requirement for national team riders to fund their own travel and subsistence to international events – self-funded trips.

For a long period Cycling South Africa has tried to absorb as much of these costs for national teams, but we have reached the stage where this is no longer possible. This self-funded decision (along with the other cost-cutting measures) was not taken lightly.

We appeal to our Provincial and Regional affiliates to please assist riders with applications for funding at the local provincial and regional levels.

Available funding sources:

1.) Provincial Sports Departments

2.) Provincial Sports Confederations

3.) Regional Sports Councils

4.) Regional Sports Departments

5.) Municipal Sports Departments

6.) National Lotteries Commission

Provinces, regions and clubs are urged to make application for rider assistance to these entities.

With the self-funded option the same selection criteria will prevail – riders will be selected on merit and not on favourable economic circumstances. Once selected, the rider must make an effort to raise the necessary funding via the above channels through his/her club, region and province.

Although self-funded, all travel arrangements are still to be co-ordinated via the Cycling South Africa office and the respective discipline Directors.

Our situation is by no means unique with many other National Federations in a similar situation as was shared at the recent SASCOC General meeting I attended last month.

The work continues within Cycling South Africa to attract funding into the organisation with many income generating solutions being pursued along with ongoing discussions with potential partners.

The cyclists remain Cycling South Africa’s number one priority and we assure you of our continued support.

William Newman

President

RoadCover Cycling Team

Team BCX Cycling

Team LEADout Aspire

Alfa BodyWorks Pro Cycling

ProTouch Sports

Team African Pride

Team Bestmed Asg

Cycle Nation

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I do not know enough about the behind the scenes stuff BUT I do know this. It's already hard enough to compete against the best in the world, if our talent has to now worry about funding too... well we are now taking 20 steps back.

We have seen Impey succeeding at Orica and even getting a Yellow Jersey at TDF, Meintjies with top 10 finishes, DiData getting better and better. SA Cycling is finally making name on the big stage.. If anything they now need MORE investment. Not less or NONE.

It's real sad.

I have a question though (again I don't know about the behind the scenes stuff) but how much of the Race Fees goes towards funding our prospects internationally? If Any?

With the price of races going up and up, should some of this go that way. Should it not be in the orginizers best interest to make sure SA Cycling is strong?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Wha-at?

So when / if a South African does win the Tour some day theh govhemehnt can not claim theh great victory. Thank you Dept of sport for your support

Guys, please be realistic about this.

There is only so much money available and it is only fair that the limited resources are spent to fund the travel of the officials who apparently have to travel to every international sporting event

There is only so much money available and it is only fair that the limited resources are spent to fund the travel of the officials who apparently have to travel to every international sporting event

Not only the official but their poor family too!

After all those exams and for spending weekend, after weekend marshaling funrides its the least we can give them.

(edit the last bit was uncalled for/deleted)

Just as bad as the message, is the manner in which it is conveyed. The self-righteous tone ("Our situation is by no means unique") and utter bulls#1t spewed ("The cyclists remain CSA's number one priority and we assure you of our continued support") show their contempt for those they were supposed to be assisting, rather than hindering.

It's always been like this, never knew things changed, back in the day if you wanted to go to world's you had to pay for yourself.

It's always been like this, never knew things changed, back in the day if you wanted to go to world's you had to pay for yourself.

Correct.

And on the part of doing and traveling, staying and eating as the "governing body" "co-ordinates".

Despite paying yourself.

Has also stayed the same

Just one less thing CSA does for it's riders.

I just love the way they push their responsibilities on to the Provinces

So only rich kids can go to worlds? #TransformationFail

If their parents suck up enough to the selectors.

Sound about right, cycling doesn't generate the same cash as rugby and soccer, I don't think cricket is to far behind went to watch the lions was about 3 people in the ground.

Archived