South Africa and Self-Funding Policy

PietSw

Was it Graeme Joffe that had to flee the country when he started investigating these types of things?

Yes.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funds from licenses and race entries won't be enough, never has been and never will be. All those races have their own costs which have to be covered first, so there is not much left over for sponsoring athletes.

How much do you think it costs to fund just one athlete to an event overseas?

As mentioned before by others it's not just cycling, plenty of other sports in the same boat. Are they all being mismanaged?

I have no idea of CSA financials but I do know it's bloody expensive to pay for one person to go overseas for one or two weeks just to do one event, never mind a team or larger group.

I did the Emperor's last month, 3384 entries for long and medium @ R10 CSA makes that R33840. The 947 has around 20000 which makes it R200000. This is 2 event's, why is there no funding ???

We live in SOUTH AFRICA if you expected any more than this you're naive 

What is the point of having them and paying a license to them....we might as well go solo....I wonder what cost cuts they have done to their spending habits as an organisation?

I agree , atleast R10 from every racer per race should go to a central body , to fund potential stars....i just dont know if it must go to CSA

The whole way cycling is run is wrong, from the top, tdf, giro, vuelta. 

My dad was the president of SA ice hockey, sat on SASCOC and IIHF. So have a good understanding of funding issues in South Africa. 

How the international Ice Hockey Federation works is such:

Elite, tier 1A tier 1B, U20's and Ladies world champs are all owned by the IIHF (The also control the olympics money as well) So all the advertising revenue, sales etc, broadcast rights goes to the the IIHF. This in turn funds the following: Mens Tier 2 A&B, Tier 3A&B - (Where SA is), U20 Tier 2,3A&B. U18 Tier 2,3A&B Ladies Tier 2,3A&B. This includes enough money for a full team to fly to the world champs in Europe somewhere. 

With the spare cash, they run coaching clinics for all nations, Ref clinics, development camps for all nations. So a u/14 SA kid gets to go play Ice hockey for 2 weeks with some of the best u/14's in the world. 

There is a lot of admin around running any organisation, the membership fees barely covered the pastel accounts system for the year. Saddest part was during his 6 years as president, we stopped playing ice hockey for 90% of it, but he loved the game so stuck around and poured a silly amount of hours into it. All of this for zero bucks, probably cost him a whole bunch in the process with flights etc.

Not all of us buy day licenses.... some of us have the annual version....  which saves you money after the 4th day of racing...... #smarterthansome.....

Still I would be interested to see CSA's financials.... and lifestyle audits on the senior staffing....

That is why I made my statement earlier. They are getting in quite a bit of money.  I would like to see how it is spent.

I did the Emperor's last month, 3384 entries for long and medium @ R10 CSA makes that R33840. The 947 has around 20000 which makes it R200000. This is 2 event's, why is there no funding ???

and that is just some of the events Tour durban, Argus, Hill2Hill...there is loads of races every weekend so it will all add up very quickly

Not all of us buy day licenses.... some of us have the annual version.... which saves you money after the 4th day of racing...... #smarterthansome.....

Still I would be interested to see CSA's financials.... and lifestyle audits on the senior staffing....

Here is the AFS for the year ended August 2014 https://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cyclingsa.com/s/20161004_AFS-Aug2014-Signed.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjqt66v7vPTAhVMVhoKHXpDCx8QFgglMAE&usg=AFQjCNFO0_Yy7bglJECY675cVbQylzUjZQ

And yes, I know it's a bit old, but it's a start [emoji106]

402fe3c965d72ee38b32fee20a204ad6.jpg

and that is just some of the events Tour durban, Argus, Hill2Hill...there is loads of races every weekend so it will all add up very quickly

Perhaps CSA are paying their management Eskom execs related salaries and bonuses.

Not all of us buy day licenses.... some of us have the annual version....  which saves you money after the 4th day of racing...... #smarterthansome.....

Here is a link to the 2015 AFS of CSA.  The 2016 numbers haven't been posted yet.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/53f5fb7ce4b0cab4a7fe8561/t/57f3a78c37c581cdcbe822ae/1475585935687/20161004_AFS+YEAUG+2015.pdf

As at the end of August 2015, CSA was insolvent.

What is interesting is that about a quarter of the 2015 income was from membership / licence fees (R5m).  The vast majority of the income came from grants (R15m).

On the expenses side, it seems most of the money was paid out in grants (to riders I hope).  There was also an event in KZN (UCI Worlds?) that seems to have cost them a lot of money (R5.6m).  In fact if you strip that out the result for the year wouldn't look so bad.

It also seems as if they still owe money to the UCI for the MTB Worlds (or did at the end of August 2015).

Okay, here's what I'd like to see. We(Hubbers, whoevever with a passion for this) establish a fund. A fund that is independant and not connected to any governing bodies whatsoever.

If atlete x needs money to take his/her riding to the next level or needs to get to an event, he/she fills out a form and then fund x helps with the costs.

Now to put money in the fund is a little tricky I think. Not impossible, I think it's very doable. We could host cycling events/braais whatever to help raise funds. I'd be willing to help out if there were such events; and I'm sure many of you would to?

However, I think there should be some sort of way to make the riders involved in fundraising as well. Start a vegetable garden that supplies the local flea market, where the guys can plant their own vegetables and sell them-just an idea.

None of the above has been well thought out-just thinking out loud.

So instead of moaning about CSA, PPA, FSA, let's make a plan and do something about it ourselves.

Good idea. Then we can stop paying license fees to the CSA because we get nothing for our money anyway.

I understand it, The politics must stay out of this sport because it happened to me, now the sponsors knew what happened, so they rather not to sponsor this sport again.

Most sponsors are spending on themselves or sponsor their friends doing other races like Sani, WtoW.....

It is very sad.. 

I am the Chair for a National shooting sport. The funding from government is non existent. Maybe because it is a shooting sport, but is besides the point.

We send a team every year to the world championships. The sport pays the entry fee to the event and in Euro's it not cheap. The team then has to pay their way unfortunately. 

We try every year to get funding from SASCOC and the Loto. We only once received money from the Loto and that was because the Chairman at that stage was in local government and knew the people to talk to.

Our government is missing a prime opportunity here to show and brag about the things that they could be doing in sport.

I am not surprised by CSA but I am a little concerned. There are more members in CSA than Hockey etc so the funds should be there. On the other hand the sport is big enough that SASCOC will have their hands in the pie.

Here is a link to the 2015 AFS of CSA.  The 2016 numbers haven't been posted yet.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/53f5fb7ce4b0cab4a7fe8561/t/57f3a78c37c581cdcbe822ae/1475585935687/20161004_AFS+YEAUG+2015.pdf

As at the end of August 2015, CSA was insolvent.

What is interesting is that about a quarter of the 2015 income was from membership / licence fees (R5m).  The vast majority of the income came from grants (R15m).

On the expenses side, it seems most of the money was paid out in grants (to riders I hope).  There was also an event in KZN (UCI Worlds?) that seems to have cost them a lot of money (R5.6m).  In fact if you strip that out the result for the year wouldn't look so bad.

It also seems as if they still owe money to the UCI for the MTB Worlds (or did at the end of August 2015).

There is evidence of poor administration in my opinion.... who allows auditors fees to increase by nearly 100% in 1 year.....

There are others... but I am not going to raise my blood pressure over searching for them...

I am no fin-guru but bad debt of almost R800 000 - now there's your problem. Surely the bad debt from 2014 of nearly R700 000 should have had them tightening the belt.

When you are lending money and not recovering it, for whatever reason, you should surely make sure you don't do that and implement stricter checks to legitimize the expense.

How do you overspend on grants anyway? Surely you cannot spend what you don't have either? If the books are legit then I think someone should be held accountable - too many cheques being signed too easily it seems. Suppose its not meant to make sense to any of us - kind of like government expenditure.

There is evidence of poor administration in my opinion.... who allows auditors fees to increase by nearly 100% in 1 year.....

There are others... but I am not going to raise my blood pressure over searching for them...

Check the cell phone bill [emoji17]

Someone needs to show them how to send a "please call me."

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Auditors fees - 50k - 125k - 225k in 3 years..... I would fire the manager in a heartbeat....

NOBODY pays that kind of increase without expecting a quid pro quo of some nature.... or they are totally incompetent..... in both instances they should be terminated.

Archived