South Africa and Self-Funding Policy

PietSw

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear CSA/SASCOC,

Note that due to the fact that I now need to find sponsors for competing internationally note that I will be making a few "additions" to my national cycling kit as my sponsors require airtime for their contribution and thus space has been sold on my kit for these advertisements.

I trust that you would be equally understanding in these pressing financial times as us athletes need to be.

Please tell the minister and your board that there is a cover charge to also brag with any medals or accomplishments we might be bringing back.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Although this might be the reality of our times - EVERYONE would need to realize this and selling real-estate might be the only way to go - not that finding buyers is easy either. :wacko:

Imagine typically one of the Didata boys rocking up to the Olympics in their team kit...

This brings the question to mind.  What does the CSA budget look like and how much is spent on what?  I can understand that it might be too expensive and many sports are in the same situation in SA.  But CSA is getting a bit of money from the cyclists in the form of Licenses and races fees.  How is that money spent?

haven't renewed my license in years, only at last years Sani did i have to get a temp license.

I don't understand the thinking.. In any other sport.. The National Body gets the funding and then distributes it to the provinces to use for...XYZ.. How can it now be expected from the club and province to raise the funds..

Lets say TheClub/Province does manage to scrape together the funds, CSA will then interfere and say "Hey but if you can do it for Priveledged Kid A, you must also do it for Underpriveledged kid B"

But then, again I want to know what obligation the race orginizers have to CSA?

Do they pay license fees to CSA? Because we do.

What does my license fee to Gauteng Cycling or CSA get used for?

I pay a fee assuming it will get used for the better of the sport.. ie. Sending our hopefulls (a Darryl Impey and Louis Meintjies) to the olympics.. or sending guys to the various tours.

If it's not used for that, what do they (CSA) actually do then? If they don't administrate (doing the nitty gritty to get our guys and gals there) what do they actually do.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I assume CSA management and other hangers on that travel with the riders will pay or raise their own funds, I don't pay my yearly CSA membership AND a portion of my entry fee for each race I enter so they can have a "paid holiday" at my expense. 

Guys, as much as this is pathetic, pitiful, appalling and disgraceful, it has been happening with swimming, athletics and the like for ages. Well done, CSA, for taking so long to drain the trough.

I assume CSA management and other hangers on that travel with the riders will pay or raise their own funds, I don't pay my yearly CSA membership AND a portion of my entry fee for each race I enter so they can have a "paid holiday" at my expense. 

I wish I could tell you what you'd like to hear.

But afraid you will just be disappointed 

Imagine typically one of the Didata boys rocking up to the Olympics in their team kit... 

They will get fined for not riding with "proper" kit.

That, having paid to get your team-kit registered..

It's a win-win situation for them

Guys, as much as this is pathetic, pitiful, appalling and disgraceful, it has been happening with swimming, athletics and the like for ages. Well done, CSA, for taking so long to drain the trough.

Yip swimming gets zero or little funding.. Hockey niks nada f all, my hubby's cousin's daughter had to find her own way to Chile to compete at the junior world cup, same with the year before had to find her own way to the junior Olympics ..

So what happens. .these kids have to find odd jobs including hosting clinics for schools to get some bucks together.. that time could be spent on training instead, remember these youngster also study, so they are squeezing in as much of everything as possible.

The same with the youngsters riding bike.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

How did they previously assist the cyclist?

Serious question.

How do the guys and gals that want to go do their fundraising? Is there a system or project where they can go and do holiday work for instance?

How do the guys and gals that want to go do their fundraising? Is there a system or project where they can go and do holiday work for instance?

Now why would CSA think of that.

That would involve putting the riders interest first.. and they just seem to be a bunch of self serving (insert insult here)

They just seem to like the idea of putting their hands in the air and saying.. oh well we don't have the money and plan B would involve us thinking of something..and sigh it's just too much for us.

I know there was a guy selling some cools pens for a rider to go to SA camps a while ago.

He obviously knew the rider personally.

But is there a fund that people can donate to, which can help these riders out?

Archived