Mrs Slowbee Zero 2 Sani. My Sani2C Adventure 2017

MrsSlowbee

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the kind words guys and gals.

And yes, I am super proud of her. She only started riding a bike in January and only in March did she start riding a mountain bike off road. From the start of the year, she has literally gone from zero, as in zero mountain bike experience, zero fitness, zero confidence to finishing S2C.

This was her first mountain bike race, and just for good measure it was also her first stage race all thrown into one. She overcame a lot of obstacles, some I knew about, others I had no clue how hard it was for her - but she did it. And I dont really care that we came last. The point is we wanted to finish within the cut off's of each day and that we did.

Great story of a tough adventure! Memories came flooding back of me, a roadie, taking on S2C, my first stage race, and thinking to myself on a muddy Day 2 ,'jeepers these mountain bikers are crazy'! I managed to finish and that got me hooked on the 'dik wiele' side of cycling! Hopefully the same will apply for you!

Big respect for both of you, not an easy ride in adverse conditions!

It all started last year when my husband’s usual Sani buddy decided to do some equally crazy road race !

It started with the bike…. I was thinking about R5k should get me a fairly decent bike right? Hah!!

My mtb skills at this stage consist of knowing how to change gears (still not quite understanding why you call it gear down when you are in fact gearing up ie. harder in my mind!) but still having to look at the “dials” to do it, and being comfy riding on open gravel roads. 

She only started riding a bike in January and only in March did she start riding a mountain bike off road. From the start of the year, she has literally gone from zero, as in zero mountain bike experience, zero fitness, zero confidence to finishing S2C.

Bloody hell well done. I had such a laugh, my OH asked me what's funny but I related so much to your bit about looking at the dials - it used to do my OHs nut in, and only since December I'm with the 1x11 setup that there's no dial to look at.

I told him, look how patient her hubby is :)

I can't believe you've completed the S2C after only riding a bike in January. Damn. Respect. It's a kick up my ass to stop being so chicken **** in my little comfort zone ' pretending I'm ok bring this sucky weekend warrior after all these years.

Thanks for sharing this!!!

Bloody hell well done. I had such a laugh, my OH asked me what's funny but I related so much to your bit about looking at the dials - it used to do my OHs nut in, and only since December I'm with the 1x11 setup that there's no dial to look at.

I told him, look how patient her hubby is :)

I can't believe you've completed the S2C after only riding a bike in January. Damn. Respect. It's a kick up my ass to stop being so chicken **** in my little comfort zone ' pretending I'm ok bring this sucky weekend warrior after all these years.

Thanks for sharing this!!!

Do you know how long it has taken me to explain not only what a 1 x 11 set up is, but also why you would want to do this. The reply was simple ..... "I would not want that, there will not be enough gears" :wacko:

Wow. What an awesome, inspirational story - arguably the best race report I have ever ready on the hub.

Mrs Slowbee, much respect for a gargantuan heroic achievement.

Slowbee, what a standup guy!

May the 2 of you do many more races and challenges together, in love and happiness.

What an inspirational report. Well done to the Slowbees!

My husband and I also did the Adventure. Day 2 was most enjoyable for me this year. Day 3 was tough. My husband stopped to help guys fixing their bike 10 km before wp2. Standing still in the rain was freezing.

A Big Whoyaaa! to Mrs Slowbee for finishing Day 3.

We saw men with fancy expensive bikes that got off and pushed ... or just without warning got off in the trail making it difficult to navigate the mud as to not crash into them.

If my hubby says : "let's do it again " I say : "Ja, let's do it again " [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know how long it has taken me to explain not only what a 1 x 11 set up is, but also why you would want to do this. The reply was simple ..... "I would not want that, there will not be enough gears" :wacko:

tell her - coming from me - it's the best thing I've ever done. If you can twist her arm - she won't look back - wish I'd done it years ago.

Thank you for sharing! 

Awesome story and very well done on completing. 

The memories will stay a life time!

We met a lady on day two also doing her first tour.......

The base of the conversation was that most people (ladies in particular) talk themselves out of the challenge way before they even tried. 

So well done on pushing through!

Awesome. Very inspirational to read. Thank you for a great write up and a huge well done!!!!