2017 Critérium du Dauphiné 4 - 11 June

Cav'

I Think that April - July would be doable.

Shu. Yes but Riding in the Dolomites in April.. Could be chilly.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always wonder why they(the organisers) do that. I personally prefer a hill top finish.

Take a guy like Nibali, Might be just 30 seconds off the front at the top but due to his superior descending skills he can catch, pass and win the stage. Is it then really a stage for the best climber? No doubt a descent like that would still be exciting though. Imagine if Sagz could stick with Nibali up a climb on a stage like this. He would win the stage.........

I like it

Tests the all-round capability in the bunch

Gonna be good

As long as there's also mountaintop finalès too ????

I like it

Gonna be good

As long as there's also mountaintop finalès too

Going to be great to watch!

Assuming all the top GC contenders were at both the Giro and Tour, with the dates remaining as is (May and July)... do you think one person could win both?

In this day and age, certain riders only target one GT, and give their all for that GT - so it's not possible to achieve the double under those conditions, unless luck plays a big part and guys (targeting only the one GT) start crashing out.

Its really hard to say who will cause of how the race for one unfolds and 2 how each riders prep was going in with their recovery after.

I would however say that riders like Contador, Valverde, Froome would do better than there younger GC hopefuls. 

I always wonder why they(the organisers) do that. I personally prefer a hill top finish.

Take a guy like Nibali, Might be just 30 seconds off the front at the top but due to his superior descending skills he can catch, pass and win the stage. Is it then really a stage for the best climber? No doubt a descent like that would still be exciting though. Imagine if Sagz could stick with Nibali up a climb on a stage like this. He would win the stage.........

Actually. .he has before...during their days at Cannondale. .there was one stage when that scenario happened, Sags stayed with Nibali up the climb and then they motored the descent..although I can't remember how the stage ended [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

They way Nibali rode at the Giro I doubt Sagz would have a issue being to far off up a climb. 

However, Nibali is probably one of the best descenders ever in the Pro Peloton, right up there with the likes of Savoldelli and the likes. 

Sagz is good but Nibali is quality.

I like it

Gonna be good

As long as there's also mountaintop finalès too

If you could hang on with the best climbers and win because you have brass balls going down a mountain then surely you deserve that win too?

Actually. .he has before...during their days at Cannondale. .there was one stage when that scenario happened, Sags stayed with Nibali up the climb and then they motored the descent..although I can't remember how the stage ended [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Sadly, they did not stay away that day

Will be interesting to see how Froome go over the next 3 days...The tour has very little TTing build in this year and Froome has neglected TTing before when the Tour was climbing loaded.Only last year that he was better again on the TT bike but that was mainly because of the Olympics.

"I don’t know a lot about the climb but I know it’s pretty tough with 10 per cent and 10km. I used google earth to have a look at the street view and some of the corners and the road surface. I think we’ve got a pretty good idea of what’s coming up but I think what’s also important is to get an idea of what it’s like racing on this terrain because we’re coming back here in July."

Froome Dawg on today's big climb

The speed has been high today with the average for the first two hours at a painful 45.2km/h

Today's break

The riders are: Oliver Naesen (AG2R-La Mondiale), Anthony Turgis (Cofidis), Nils Politt (Katusha-Alpecin), Alberto Bettiol (Cannondale-Drapac), Serge Pauwels (Dimension Data) and Thierry Hupond (Delko Marseille Provence KTM).

The breakaway is now at the bottom of the climb, the easiest part of this brutal ascent. It's only going to get tougher. With 23km to go, their advantage has fallen drastically to 2:47.

The breakaway is fracturing. Unsurprisingly, Politt is one of the first to be dropped . At 80kg it's not a climb for him. Hupond is also struggling.

Archived