Scott Spark 920 vs Cannondale Scapel SI 4 vs Spez Camber Carbon vs Pyga 110

JeffD

Morning all,

So I'm pondering about getting a new bike. I currently have a 2013 Scott Spark 940 & I have narrowed it down to the above 4 2017 models which from my current knowledge are in a similar price bracket & the start of the carbon ranges.

I've seen a few reviews but some are outdated & I will still search for more.

I'm no race snake but enjoy my riding once or twice a week. I do the Trailseeker (current C batch) & USN (current B batch) series & want to do more stage races (possibly Joburg2C or Sani2C). I have done the 2 day Berg & Bush & I'm doing the Great Trek this year. I therefore need & want to step up my riding & go from 40km Trailseekers to 70 & from 30km USNs to 50. I'm therefore looking for a marathan/ XCO (not 100% sure of the difference) bike, not enduro etc.

I am a Buffalo category (+-98kg) & 187cm tall if that helps with a view.

I want the upgrade to be worth it & to be honest I want a good looking bike as well at that price, which I think they are. That is why I haven't added the Momsen Vipa 2 to the list as the yellow doesn't do it for me.

I'm not a techie but detailed feedback will help. If not, then a ranking of 1 to 4 will also help.

Advantage of the Scott is that I can trade in my current Scott at Cycle Lab who have already given me a value. I don't recall seeing the other brands there. Yes the value will be less than a private sale but it is instant, convenient in many ways & less chance of being scammed in the current world we live in. Other shops may do trade ins, I don't know, but this shouldn't be a deciding factor.

Thanks!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, I'll go with either Spark or the Camber. 

They're well balanced bikes, with relaxed geometry, but also have the necessary XC abilities for longer rides.

The Scalpel is a very race-focused bike. The 110 is old-hat and oftentimes severely overpriced. 

The only way to know for sure is to test the bikes. 

You're NOT looking for a marathon / xco bike, from your post. You're looking for a TRAIL bike. 

XCO / Marathon = RACE bike. For racing. Trail bike = 110-140mm with relaxed HA and better geometry for Joe Average to have fun on and do the multi day events with ease. 

My vote - Camber or Spark. 

At the asking price of the 920 Spark I would want it to have the full M8000 complement and not just the RD! I like that it has the 34 float which should be able to take more punishment with a heavier rider...

You would have to ride them all and see which one calls your name. 

You're NOT looking for a marathon / xco bike, from your post. You're looking for a TRAIL bike. 

XCO / Marathon = RACE bike. For racing. Trail bike = 110-140mm with relaxed HA and better geometry for Joe Average to have fun on and do the multi day events with ease. 

My vote - Camber or Spark. 

Thanks Myles, lesson learnt.

That is not true.

Thanks Myles, lesson learnt.

glad to be of help, man. I constantly see people on XC race rigs when they should be on something a lot more forgiving, a lot more capable and a bit slacker with more squish. 

It really does make a world of difference to the average rider. 

Camber or Spark.

I am more or less your size and a Camber (i own a 2016 comp carbon) can do all the things you want - trails, trailseeker series, multi-day stage races etc.  Most Spez stores have test days where you can ride a camber OR they may give you a loaner for a weekend.

I am a card-carrying Spez-Ho but that new Spark is an awesome machine.

At the asking price of the 920 Spark I would want it to have the full M8000 complement and not just the RD! 

Yeah, you need to go for the 910 to get the full XT set

glad to be of help, man. I constantly see people on XC race rigs when they should be on something a lot more forgiving, a lot more capable and a bit slacker with more squish. 

It really does make a world of difference to the average rider. 

Why is it then that most low to mid ranged (price) bikes are all aimed at an XCO setup when brands would do better at keeping interest/comfort levels high by going with much slacker geometry as found on the more expensive trail bikes?

I am referring to the R5-15K bracket here and yes they are not FS bikes but wouldn't this help in this department in some or other way!

Why is it then that most low to mid ranged (price) bikes are all aimed at an XCO setup when brands would do better at keeping interest/comfort levels high by going with much slacker geometry as found on the more expensive trail bikes?

I am referring to the R5-15K bracket here and yes they are not FS bikes but wouldn't this help in this department in some or other way!

Cost. 

That, and habit. IMO a lot of the first time bike buyers would be better off on a long travel hardtail vs the short travel ones currently on offer. 

That's an industry thing, unfortunately. Also an SA race mentality thing IMO. MUST HAVE A RACER!!!

Erm, no. 

Cost. 

That, and habit. IMO a lot of the first time bike buyers would be better off on a long travel hardtail vs the short travel ones currently on offer. 

That's an industry thing, unfortunately. Also an SA race mentality thing IMO. MUST HAVE A RACER!!!

Erm, no. 

It's akin to the "I / my wife / my kid must have the best bike" mentality, which leads inevitably to the purchase of an (s-works / world cup) spez epic.

That's a great bike but completely the wrong one for most people.

The Pyga 110 or if you can manage a test ride, I just moved from a hardtail 29er to Pyga 120/650, awesome trail bike and all the comfort you will need for a stage event. I definately agree with Myles that just about 80% of people are on the wrong bikes.

Old habits die hard in the MTB industry. For all it's constant development and updating of standards, a lot of bikes and bike brands still carry the geometry of their road bike forefathers. 

Take a brand like Whyte. They're making cheap/entry level bikes with modern geometry: long reach, slack, steep seat angles and so on. 

I would choose the Scott Spark over the Camber because it will be better spec'ed (value for money), and is more up to date in terms of geometry and boost spacing etc.

Pyga is nice, but also starting to age a bit compared to the Scott. Still an awesome bike though.

Cannondale is a wicked machine, but more XC race orientated than the other 3.

Archived