Smart indoor trainer - which one?

marie-louise

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it a better option to get a direct drive trainer?

I'm sure there are advantages to direct drive, but in terms of what I'm looking for the wheel on trainer wins (between the KICKR and KICKR Snap).

Accuracy: both +-3%

Price: Snap wins

Ease of use: Using a dedicated bike so there is no taking off and putting on of bikes anyway. Plus until I buy a training tyre I'll have something to use all my used 23c on.

Only negative about the snap is the calibration/spin down required

Isn't it a better option to get a direct drive trainer?

I think the direct drive ones are better, but that additional R4k+ can buy a lot of cheap tyres for a wheel-on trainer (more, if you take advantage of the trade-in deal on the Magnus).

The 12% gradient on the Snap (which is double what my Vortex can manage) is more than enough for plenty of suffering, and neither type will be quiet when doing intervals.

Okay so I didn’t go through all 15 pages, but I haven’t seen any reference to the Tacx Bushido. Can do gradients of up to 14% and I recently bought one new for R9k.

Good morning everyone!! Happy FRIDAY!!!

Bicycle Power Trading and key retailers are running a CycleOps Winter Trade-in Promotion from the 18th May (TODAY) - 28th May 2018. 

Clients can look forward to receiving a 20% discount off ANY CycleOps Indoor Trainers when they trade in ANY indoor trainer *subject to being in fair working condition. 

T's&C's apply.

Contact us today www.cycleops.co.za to not miss out!!

Can I trade in a Fluid 2 which has prett much leaked all of it's oil (known problem from what I found on the interwebs), which is about as useful to me as a boat anchor?

I'm sure there are advantages to direct drive, but in terms of what I'm looking for the wheel on trainer wins (between the KICKR and KICKR Snap).

Accuracy: both +-3%

Price: Snap wins

Ease of use: Using a dedicated bike so there is no taking off and putting on of bikes anyway. Plus until I buy a training tyre I'll have something to use all my used 23c on.

Only negative about the snap is the calibration/spin down required

The Snap offers good value for money.

Okay so I didn’t go through all 15 pages, but I haven’t seen any reference to the Tacx Bushido. Can do gradients of up to 14% and I recently bought one new for R9k.

And it does not need external power, right? Handy for when Eskom turns off whole towns.

• 1 month later...

Morning all,

A price revision has been issued effective immediately for the CycleOps SMART trainers, pricing is as follows,

CycleOps Hammer direct drive trainer - R15 995.00

CycleOps Magnus wheel on trainer - R7 995.00

Both come with an industry leading 2 year warranty and built in cadence measurement capabilities. 

Head over to www.cycleops.co.za for more info. or your nearest stockist.

DC Rainmaker's reviews are always great, but I would like an opinion from someone here on the hub..

CycleOps pricing doesn't look bad as well :clap:not sure what they were before ..

Edited by AM7

DC Rainmaker's reviews are always great, but I would like an opinion from someone here on the hub..

CycleOps pricing doesn't look bad as well :clap:not sure what they were before ..

Hammer was 17,995 before iirc, not sure what the Magnus was.

• 2 months later...

Ok

So either this is a serious good deal, or buyer beware

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/325982-tacx-bushido-t1981-for-sale/

Don't know who is in that area to check it out

Try reading the ad again as it is an old bushido which is not a smart trainer!! 

Not much more than a fluid trainer with Ant+ broadcasting for power to tacx software and can only work with Zwift via z-power, using speed/cadence sensors and an estimated zwift power curve.

Else can only work with the original tacx software as the Ant+ protocol is not FE-C.

Edited by shaper