Smart indoor trainer - which one?

marie-louise

Okay time to do the Smart trainer thing.

Looking around now, anyone seen any good special out there at the moment?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Search on Facebook for Ty Ford, he had a indoor gym/training center in Alberton, which closed down, he was looking for buyers of his Wahoo Kickr's.

G

Okay time to do the Smart trainer thing.

Looking around now, anyone seen any good special out there at the moment?

Search on Facebook for Ty Ford, he had a indoor gym/training center in Alberton, which closed down, he was looking for buyers of his Wahoo Kickr's.

G

Looking to come in under R10k

Think he was selling for +-R15k?

think you right, but the R15k was the original price when he closed, might be willing to drop by now. and personally don't think there is anything better at that price available at the moment.

Paired with TrainerRoad awesome setup.

G

Looking to come in under R10k

Think he was selling for +-R15k?

Not a smart trainer

Didn't know this! Was thinking of getting one when I bought a powerbeam pro but was too pricey. But thought it was the king of the smart trainers!

My wife and I share a powerbeam pro. Having a trainer wheel that must go on and off is a pain, let alone the costs. Calibration before every ride due to the changes is also something I could live without to be honest.

Decide which software you want to use. The app that came with the powerbeam worked very well initially until the price went up and the quality down. We now use Zwift even if it is more pricey.

If I had to sell and buy something else I would like to go direct drive, but will in any case have to accommodate different cassettes soon.

Best solution would be phantom 500 but doesn't work with Zwift. Don't know much about Wattbike (read earlier here it isn't a smart trainer) but these start becoming very pricey

My wife and I share a powerbeam pro. Having a trainer wheel that must go on and off is a pain, let alone the costs. Calibration before every ride due to the changes is also something I could live without to be honest.

Decide which software you want to use. The app that came with the powerbeam worked very well initially until the price went up and the quality down. We now use Zwift even if it is more pricey.

If I had to sell and buy something else I would like to go direct drive, but will in any case have to accommodate different cassettes soon.

Best solution would be phantom 500 but doesn't work with Zwift. Don't know much about Wattbike (read earlier here it isn't a smart trainer) but these start becoming very pricey

Our CycleOps Phantom 3 is fully compatible with Zwift in a similar manor to the Wattbikes. i.e. Zwift will display and record the power (watts) however both the Phantom 3 and Wattbike will NOT increase resistance based of either the route profile or structured interval workout you are doing.

This is exactly the same as using a basic indoor trainer such as the CycleOps Fluid 2 with a power meter......

If doing interval training adjusting the resistance on either the Wattbike or Phantom 3 is not much of a problem however the lack of controlled resistance on both trainers mentioned above does limit the "real outdoor" riding effect you have become used to with a PowerBeam.

Our CycleOps Phantom 5 has controlled resistance however Zwift does not support this because of the private network and complex data transmission in the Phantom 5. That said you are still able to pair the power hub of the Phantom 5 up to Zwift and you can control the resistance via the CycleOps Virtual Training application to suite the workout you may be doing in Zwift...... I have seen this done a few times. 

If doing indoor workouts is important (and well if you wanna get faster/stronger then that should be your #1 priority), with the trainer controlling things, then probably the best app to drive it out there is TrainerRoad... R170/month, thats all their workouts, and the different training plans.

it will pair with just about any/all smart trainers, and for me top of that list is the Wahoo Kickr.

G

If doing indoor workouts is important (and well if you wanna get faster/stronger then that should be your #1 priority), with the trainer controlling things, then probably the best app to drive it out there is TrainerRoad.

it will pair with just about any/all smart trainers, and for me top of that list is the Wahoo Kickr.

G)

Iv'e been using my Cycleops Powerbeam pro BLE version (I have 2 :) ) ,paired with an IPAD and using Virtual trainer for two years now.

The choice is endless from riding actual routes around South Africa and Europe (and the rest of the world);workouts to your heart's content; FTP test;or just set at Freeride and set/vary the power as you like during the ride...

All this with automatic variation of power on the routes and workouts!

Really hard to beat this training platform/entertainment on an indoor Trainer! 

post-47220-0-80764500-1500881466_thumb.png

post-47220-0-62848500-1500881483_thumb.png

Our CycleOps Phantom 3 is fully compatible with Zwift in a similar manor to the Wattbikes. i.e. Zwift will display and record the power (watts) however both the Phantom 3 and Wattbike will NOT increase resistance based of either the route profile or structured interval workout you are doing.

This is exactly the same as using a basic indoor trainer such as the CycleOps Fluid 2 with a power meter......

If doing interval training adjusting the resistance on either the Wattbike or Phantom 3 is not much of a problem however the lack of controlled resistance on both trainers mentioned above does limit the "real outdoor" riding effect you have become used to with a PowerBeam.

Our CycleOps Phantom 5 has controlled resistance however Zwift does not support this because of the private network and complex data transmission in the Phantom 5. That said you are still able to pair the power hub of the Phantom 5 up to Zwift and you can control the resistance via the CycleOps Virtual Training application to suite the workout you may be doing in Zwift...... I have seen this done a few times. 

Thanks for the reply, seems that I won't gain much from changing my current setup then

The smart trainer is nice to have, but not a necessity, if you have a power meter, when linked to Zwift, you can increase your effort when you hit a climb on the Zwift route for eg. and thereby increase speed accordingly.

Power meter therefore a better bet when paired with a "normal" trainer. At present, my Tacx Flow does the job, enabling me to adjust resistance via the head unit or my gearing.

The smart trainer is nice to have, but not a necessity, if you have a power meter, when linked to Zwift, you can increase your effort when you hit a climb on the Zwift route for eg. and thereby increase speed accordingly.

Power meter therefore a better bet when paired with a "normal" trainer. At present, my Tacx Flow does the job, enabling me to adjust resistance via the head unit or my gearing.

Exactly, the use of a PowerTap (hub, pedals or chainring) and a basic trainer like a Fluid 2 will be perfect for doing interval training with Zwift, TrainerRoad or CycleOps Virtual Training. TrainerRoad however may be better off as they have a variety of programs / workouts.

I still think that the majority of the IDT market love controlled resistance and doing routes be it Zwift or CycleOps Virtual Training. 

It would be very interesting to hear what the Hubbers use most, routes or workouts ? 

Archived