Skills/techniques for beginners

Fantastic. Thanks very much for the help guys. 

So flats over clipless

Actually go ride instead of trying to read about riding

Ride some more....

Think that sums it up. One last question, is it worth tracking your first couple of rides i.e. on strava or a gps of sorts?

That's exactly it. Ride and ride some more.

And fall. Understand that you will fall as you get into more technical parts.

The flats will help here initially. If you are ambitious and would consider events further down the line, it helps to get into cleats asap. It's a different pedaling technique!

A simple bike computer will suffice for records. Or the Endomondo app in your phone. Strava will possibly egg you on.

After a few easy rides go do a skills clinic!! You can have best equipment but if you don't know the basics then you will be making many mistakes.

If you need a bike.....well, that's a whole new thread right there :eek:

Enjoy and good luck :clap:

That's exactly it. Ride and ride some more.

And fall. Understand that you will fall as you get into more technical parts.

The flats will help here initially. If you are ambitious and would consider events further down the line, it helps to get into cleats asap. It's a different pedaling technique!

A simple bike computer will suffice for records. Or the Endomondo app in your phone. Strava will possibly egg you on.

After a few easy rides go do a skills clinic!! You can have best equipment but if you don't know the basics then you will be making many mistakes.

If you need a bike.....well, that's a whole new thread right there :eek:

Enjoy and good luck :clap:

Thanks very much! Any skills courses you recommend in and around the east rand? If not, willing to drive to jhb/pta

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks very much! Any skills courses you recommend in and around the east rand? If not, willing to drive to jhb/pta

Sean Badenhorst.

This was one of the best investments i ever made was taking me and the Mrs for a skills clinic by Sean.

He runs Tread magazine as well, you will struggle to find someone more passionate or knowledgeable.

http://treadskills.co.za/sean-badenhorst-chief-instructor/

HAPPY RIDING!

Your best option is just to ride and get used to the bike. Stay on flat pedals for now but consider a semi decent pair of flats with pins (The Trailhead has a few options of cheaper flats).

One could write an encyclopedia on your questions 1 and 3 which some have done. If I could offer a few pieces of advice:

Stand more on the bike. Learn to get into the attack position to tackle any descents or obstacles: weight on your feet, back horizontal, head over stem, elbows out but relaxed, hips behind saddle, drop your heels, look ahead, not down.

http://pedaladventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/attackposition.jpg

Important to feel your full bodyweight pushing through your feet. You think you're low but you aren't. Look down and you should see your stem right there. As the gradient becomes steeper you actually have to back pedal a bit to keep the cranks level with the horizon. If you don't your weight will be pitched forward onto the bars. Try to relax your limbs as much and possible to absorb rocks, roots etc.

As for bunny hopping etc, it's much easier to show someone than try to explain. Most intermediate riders in my skills class take between 5 and 15 minutes to get the basics.

Ping ping. Which affordable flats are you guys stocking at TH?

Flats start from R360 for a pair of Giants and then goes up and UP as you want better brand names ....

I run skills clinics  :thumbup:

I do travel to anywhere in Gauteng as long as you have a couple of friends to join you and make it worthwhile. 4 riders max though. Any more than that and there is no way I can remember exactly what each rider did the last time they attempted that manoeuvre/obstacle - and how they are now compensating.

And I designed a cool logo :w00t:  

https://www.facebook.com/skillupmtb/

19366098_309305152845270_601392931902478

Ping ping. Which affordable flats are you guys stocking at TH?

I know we have Kore for very cheap for the plastic with pins going up to reasonable amounts for their better metal pedals. Don't know prices offhand - please call the shop for specifics.

Any recommendations for skills clinics in the Western Cape ?

a few friends have used Julian Louw (Spelling) and they have been very happy with his tuition, manner in how he tailors the session to work for you and his general demeanor ..... he does alot of work with people on the Tygerberg trail networks, so it will be close to you on trails you should be familiar with.

Give the boys and girls at the Bike shed or Dairy shed a call as they should have his contact details.

a few friends have used Julian Louw (Spelling) and they have been very happy with his tuition, manner in how he tailors the session to work for you and his general demeanor ..... he does alot of work with people on the Tygerberg trail networks, so it will be close to you on trails you should be familiar with.

Give the boys and girls at the Bike shed or Dairy shed a call as they should have his contact details.

quick google search spits this out

http://www.enduromtbworld.co.za/

Hello Judd

I would also suggest Benoni Country Club trails as the green trails are really easy, the yellow is also pretty easy as well. The red is  more technical but they are interlinked so you can ride all of them.  Its pleasant riding and has a nice clubhouse for coffee/beer afterwards.

Hello Judd

I would also suggest Benoni Country Club trails as the green trails are really easy, the yellow is also pretty easy as well. The red is more technical but they are interlinked so you can ride all of them. Its pleasant riding and has a nice clubhouse for coffee/beer afterwards.

Thanks very much. I am very much aware of BCC???? full member that plays golf and tennis. It's actually the trail that has got me wanting to do mtb. Always see those guys having a blast on the trail while I swear at my ball for the 17th time ????????????

Just wanted to say thanks for all the input everybody.

Went to the Big Red Barn yesterday for a bit of a intro. (rented a bike of theirs and did the 12km route). a lot of the tips here helped. :thumbup: