Need advice on dual suspension purchase

ChristoKruger

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the great advice guys, got myself a very well looked after 2015 Merida Ninety-Nine 9.600 kitted with SLX & XT and with a tubeless conversion for R13k today.

Congrats. Enjoy the ride!

Thanks for all the great advice guys, got myself a very well looked after 2015 Merida Ninety-Nine 9.600 kitted with SLX & XT and with a tubeless conversion for R13k today.

Awesome....now lets see how it looks :D

ENJOY !!!

I realize that the nearest store is a long drive away from where you are situated but Cycle Lab has the 2017 Merida 96 600 on special for R19 999.00 so you can have a new bike for your budget :D

It is pretty well spec'd for what it is and while it only has 100mm travel and not as relaxed as a new scott spark it should do the trick for the terrain you are riding on!

Best would be to try a few bikes and see where your preferences lie and then make your decision. R20K is still a hefty amount to spend these days so you want to make sure you buy right.

I second the Merida 96 - 600  :thumbup:  for R19,999 it is a steal...and being new you get the ownership of the warranty...secondhand, warranty falls away (in all, or most cases).

:eek:  wish I knew about this special a year ago  :cursing:   could have had a Softail for almost what I paid for my HT  :excl:  :blink:  :wacko:  but it's still FUN and I like it if my ass hurts  :ph34r:  LOL

Oops sorry just read page 2...ha ha ha  :thumbup:  enjoy and it's a good deal none the less.

Enjoy the trails Christo  :clap:

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys, Looking for advise for a heavier rider. I weigh 115kg and currently riding a HT. Looking to purchase a dually not sure if it will hold the weight. Mainly riding gravel roads and bit of trail.

Hi Guys, Looking for advise for a heavier rider. I weigh 115kg and currently riding a HT. Looking to purchase a dually not sure if it will hold the weight. Mainly riding gravel roads and bit of trail.

Check out Silverback Stratos, very good value for money.

I'm ~120 odd kg, there or there abouts. I ride a HT and a dually. My HT has regular fits on the rear freehub body. I'm on the 3rd iteration at the moment after around 6700km. My dually is still on numero uno after ~7000km. I have also replaced so many spokes on the HT I've stopped counting. My dually, maybe 2.

Point of the story, a proper dually can carry a big boy. What I looked for was wider rims. 29mm inner width minimum. Alu frame made more sense to me, as I play hard with my toys. I ride a Spez Camber and it takes some big hits being thrown around rock gardens, gap jumps, tables and drops. I have taken the odd DH line, sans the big jumps (want ek is poep-skuit-bang), and it has held up so far.

You'll be beyond fine if all you ever ride is gravel. But if that were actually the case, why not rather get a proper gravel traveller?

[edit] - just saw the trail bit in your comment. A dually around 120mm will be good. But wide rims will count in your favour.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

Yeah, 115kgs here and on a silverback Stratos. Nice to have the extra travel, and frame seems ultra solid. Just a wheel upgrade to Lyne Amp wheels and it's golden.

I second the Merida 96 - 600 :thumbup: for R19,999 it is a steal...and being new you get the ownership of the warranty...secondhand, warranty falls away (in all, or most cases).

:eek: wish I knew about this special a year ago :cursing: could have had a Softail for almost what I paid for my HT :excl: :blink: :wacko: but it's still FUN and I like it if my ass hurts :ph34r: LOL

You do know that a soft tail and a full suspension are two different things?

A softail is actually a hard tail with a very flexible chainstay and some kind of damper. There aren't too many available in SA.

You do know that a soft tail and a full suspension are two different things?

A softail is actually a hard tail with a very flexible chainstay and some kind of damper. There aren't too many available in SA.

Like when people say “front forks”