How far to upgrade before it's not economical?

ajnkzn

Hey Guys

First thread on here so take it easy on me haha...

I have a Cannondale Trail 29 Hardtail. Used to ride a bit of DH at varsity (I sucked, good at crashing though.) and then focused on paddling and running the last 8-10 years.

I decided to get back onto a bike cos it's fun and you can do such a cool mix of long explorey days and cool techy trail rides.

Anyway, I bought my budget Cannondale Hardtail with tubeless done and the front derailleur removed by the previous owner as he was just using it to keep miles off his fancy bike for beachfront rides etc. 

I got it for R 9 500 only a year old in immaculate shape.

So its 1x10 SLX and has the Shimano branded but no specific name (SLX / Deore etc) brakes.

I manage 95% of the time with the 1x10 as he put on a 40t big cog - spin out on the downs obviously but that's fine.

34t chainring.

I've done close to 100km days pretty comfortably and I manage most of the steep tech stuff ok too.

I think that 1x11 would obviously be better if I want to do some stage / longer 1 day races.

The brakes are also adequate but not much more than that.

What sort of price would I be able to pick up a SLX 11 speed rear derailleur and cassette and some better brakes? Happy to trawl the used section of the hub until I can find something!

I've put on wider Ritchey bars and a shorter (50mm) stem as it's a large and I'm probably in between M and L frames.

Do you think it's worthwhile? I'm happy and comfortable on my bike and riding some pretty decent distances / speeds and technical stuff so don't feel the need to go full sus any time soon due to extra cost and service requirements etc.

Edited by andrew5336

All depends on budget.

Right now the eagle upgrade kit is looking very tempting. Great price for new parts, but way out of budget for me.

Cool - my chainring is SRAM already.

I'd need a new shifter going to 1x11 SLX anyway am I right?

So no saving going Shimano vs SRAM there?

"Ducks as technical term goes sailing way over his head"

Haha thanks Myles I'll ask

Very tempting to sell you my XT 1x11 setup almost new and go over to 1x12

Problem is, with the Guide brakes I am looking at the very least around R8500.

The Mrs might not approve.........

Personally I'd get hold of new brakes first then unless you're super amped on going 1x11 then I'd look for a 10speed 11-46 sunrace cassette that you can then add a slightly bigger front ring to. 

Not sure what wheels you're running but a wider / stiffer / better set of wheels are always invaluable as are better tyres. 

You can get alot of 1x11 in the classifieds at the moment. Mainly GX as people rush for the Eagle. 

Another option is to get a 1x11 SLX full groupset from overseas about R4500 (or here about R7K) and you'll get new brakes, cassette and everything in one go. Sunrace Cassette will be about R1200, Second hand SLX (previous Generation brakes) about R1200 - R1500 so you're well on the way to the R4500 (plus duties) that you can get full, new range, 11sp groupset for. 

There are a few options in the classifieds for 11sp GX and 11sp Shimano upgrades (new and used) going for between R2400 - R4200 

BUT.... if you're then spending RXX on a new groupset and RXX on wheels and you took that amount and put it with what you could sell your current, stock bike for how far would you be away from a newer bike preloved bike, possibly a dual sus' Trance or a different HT, for the same amount of coin? 

See how 'it' begins. ;)

https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/shimano-slx-m7000-1x11s-dyna-sys11-groupset-without-disc-rotor

NX groupset for around R2.8k

https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/sram-nx-1x11s-gxp-groupset

Edited by hellocolour

"Ducks as technical term goes sailing way over his head"

Haha thanks Myles I'll ask

Lol. It's the way the shifter mounts to the bar. It doesn't have its own mount, it bolts onto the brake's mount. The mount/clamp is called an "I spec B".

You need a Shimano brakeset with that clamp type to fix the shifter to the bars

My 2c:

Don't go bananas upgrading parts on your bike. Rather save up for a better (read: more trail oriented) bike. 

If I were you, I'd keep the drive train as is and find a 2nd hand RS Revelation or similar trail fork. It'll make a much bigger difference to your riding. 

New Slx upgrade kit for R3K

https://www.evobikes.co.za/components/groupsets/shimano-slx-m7000-11spd-upgrade-kit-4333.html

Does your current bike have a Lefty fork or standard? 

Inevitable that a new, used bike is going to be much better value overall as you will end up changing up wheels, then get the fork itch, then the frame will have too steep a head tube and be old geometry and of course you'll need a dropper post. ;) 

Edited by hellocolour