Novatech hubs help

BaGearA

Okay I've got the hub pictured below , built onto a wheel for my cotic this year feb and every now and then it squeked , recently built the same hub over onto my Spez and now the squeaking is out of control . Its LOUD and it sounds like rubber on rubber ( if that makes sense) now everything is different on the spez , derailers, brakes , suspension ect. and its the EXACT same sound just louder and does not stop so don't suggest anything else ( when the bike had 650+ wheels on with different hubs it was dead silent so I'm 99.9% sure its the rear hub) 1 I started by taking off the o-ring on the non- drive side hub cap , still squeaks.2 Then I removed the rubber cover over the outboard bearing of the freewheel , just behind the cassette lock nut , still squeaks.3 Then I removed the seal that seals the prawls and engagement ring on the drive side , still squeaks. Then removed the rotor , still squeaks Am i missing something ???? I'm passed frustrated ...I'm the point of driving over the wheel

post-46013-15057.png

Edited by BaGearA

try replacing the bearings themselves...?

I have heard bearings squeak even though they are running smooth...

Maybe bearings need changing?

all running smooth ( hub was bought new in feb) 

I'm definitely open to replacing them if all else fails

I had similar issue with a similar hub - the outer bearing on the freewheel side  

is the most exposed to water elements etc

it started to deteriorate and squeal

replaced it - sorted

I had the same problem, squeaking that is!

My no1 (in the pic above) had worked a bit loose somehow and it was the rubber o ring making initially a small squeak but one that got progressively worse.

I greased it lightly and tightened it up it squeaked again briefly before going quiet.

No noise for last 3months of singlespeeding.

Have you tried greasing up the axle and contact points on the frame, just in case?

I empathise, hope you get to the bottom of it soon!

"Grit and steel" 

Make sure all your spacers are in the right order and the axle isn't cracked. Cos these things break axles. A lot.

Reassemble, loctite blue on the endcap threads, and tighten properly.

If that doesn't work, take it to Dave.

Had the same thing . Brought out my grease a d put it everywhere , especially in the tight gaps where probably only a fingernail goes through . The hub stopped squeaking after .

Goodluck

note to self don't just wiggle the bearing fully rotate ( duhh *facepalms)

The inboard bearing in the freewheel has a ball the looks cracked/ chipped and i can lightly feel it when rotating.

Since I moered them out with a hammer and punch I'll replace both tomorrow morning and report back.

New bearings in free wheel and bike is dead silent.

freaks me out that something so small can make such a loud noise  :huh:

Glad you found it.  If there is a squeak that I cannot locate easily, then I always consider the bearings first

New bearings in free wheel and bike is dead silent.

freaks me out that something so small can make such a loud noise  :huh:

It's always the smallest issues that make the most noise.

It's a real art to keep an entire bike squeak free