R3000 Reward for the recovery of my stolen bike

JustPaul

D@mn just hate when i hear how okes get they rides taken as it happend to me!!

Check out Santam i had two successful claims in the space of 6 months - Roadbike - completely shattered the frame going down in the bunch and they lifted it and after inspection - new bike , about 5 months later got bikejacked on the mtb - even tho when i was knocked off my by bike by knife wielding okes, i didnt fight back - opted to run in the bush so i can keep my phone to make that emergency call - still payed out (after case opened etc, and some investigation, using my strava as proof that i was there etc etc).

Your premiums must be through the roof

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your premiums must be through the roof

The premiums are through the roof in the first place

When my son was elite in MTB and Road with great aspirations of conquering Europe I was chief sponsor and its about R330PM for a 50K bike

D@mn just hate when i hear how okes get they rides taken as it happend to me!!

Check out Santam i had two successful claims in the space of 6 months - Roadbike - completely shattered the frame going down in the bunch and they lifted it and after inspection - new bike , about 5 months later got bikejacked on the mtb - even tho when i was knocked off my by bike by knife wielding okes, i didnt fight back - opted to run in the bush so i can keep my phone to make that emergency call - still payed out (after case opened etc, and some investigation, using my strava as proof that i was there etc etc).

I have been with MIway insurance for more than six years, I have ensured my wife’s cars and mine and recently (almost two years) my mountain bike without a single claim. However, on the 5 July my mountain bike was stolen from my garage while I was at home.  The accessor made it clear that there were no physical signs of forced entry so they will not pay or replace even though I was at home when it happened. 

I feel hopeless and powerless. I am a hard-working honest person that has paid my insurance policy assuming that I am covered. Not sure if I should post the letter they send me here

Could you maybe post the text of the repudiation? Maybe the policy wording too?

Sorry I dont have any original pics, but I serviced it my self so I know every scratch and dent on the bike, not going to tell here in case I bump into it some day, you never know.

This is what happened.

I woke up 6am, opened the garage dour and loaded my tools. Closed the dour but did not lock it as it is behind locked gates. I went to woke up the kids to get ready for school but as I got to into the kitchen my wife asked me why I left the door open. It was stolen in less than 5 minutes. They jumped the wall took the bike were it was hanging and used the kids jungle gym to get over again. they also got away with my wallet and phone that I left on the work bench.

I had to give bank statements proving that I cancelled my cards and cell statements but all for nothing. 

I have been with MIway insurance for more than six years, I have ensured my wife’s cars and mine and recently (almost two years) my mountain bike without a single claim. However, on the 5 July my mountain bike was stolen from my garage while I was at home.  The accessor made it clear that there were no physical signs of forced entry so they will not pay or replace even though I was at home when it happened. 

I feel hopeless and powerless. I am a hard-working honest person that has paid my insurance policy assuming that I am covered. Not sure if I should post the letter they send me here

"forced entry" is the issue, not if you were at home or not.

same as when your car get remote-jammed, and they steal your laptop ... no "forced entry" = no claim.

Guest dirkieuys

I had a big fight with Miway insurance, I lost. They refused to pay because I was at home when it was stolen. Even though Iv been with them for almost seven years without a single claim.

Sad when the CO you pay to have piece of mind doesn't back you.

Hope you find your bike soon.

D

Sorry I dont have any original pics, but I serviced it my self so I know every scratch and dent on the bike, not going to tell here in case I bump into it some day, you never know.

This is what happened.

I woke up 6am, opened the garage dour and loaded my tools. Closed the dour but did not lock it as it is behind locked gates. I went to woke up the kids to get ready for school but as I got to into the kitchen my wife asked me why I left the door open. It was stolen in less than 5 minutes. They jumped the wall took the bike were it was hanging and used the kids jungle gym to get over again. they also got away with my wallet and phone that I left on the work bench.

I had to give bank statements proving that I cancelled my cards and cell statements but all for nothing. 

Your telephonic conversation with the assessor, Stefan Share on 21 June 2017 refers. We
confirm having advised of our decision to reject the claim due to, inter alia, the following
reason(s):
No Cover: No visible signs of forced entry into building structure
We wish to refer you to your MiWay Policy in this regard, which states:
We trust that you will appreciate that we are obliged to adhere to the Policy conditions
prevailing at the time of a loss.
In terms of the Policyholder Protection Rules you have not less than 90 days from the date of
this letter to raise an objection with MiWay regarding the decision as set out in this letter.
You may raise your objection in writing by:
Immediately following the 90 days, irrespective of whether an objection was raised, you have a
further 180 days within which to serve summons on MiWay. If you do not serve summons
within this period, your right to challenge the decision will be forfeited.
Once we have dealt with your objection and should you find you are still unhappy with the
outcome, you may contact the Ombudsman for Short-term Insurance at 011 726 8900 or
lodge a complaint at PO Box 32334, Braamfontein, 2017 or fax 011 726 5501 or email
info@osti.co.za.
Please note that the above-mentioned reason(s) for rejection may not necessarily be
exhaustive.
sending it to dispute@miway.co.za
addressing it to Disputes, and either faxing it to 011 990 0001 or posting it to
PostNet Suite #382, Private Bag X121, Halfway House, 1685.
l
l
21 June 2017
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
RICHWOOD
MILNERTON
Correspondence Ref. 390129197
MiBicycle
WHAT AM I NOT COVERED FOR UNDER MiBICYCLE?
- Theft of my bicycle when the bicycle is unattended and not:
- locked inside a vehicle, trailer, caravan, or building structure and there are no
visible signs of forced entry

>>>>" or building structure " <<<

so your garage door was closed, but not locked?

is there gate they need to enter from street to get to the garage? was it closed? locked?

<snip>

Immediately following the 90 days, irrespective of whether an objection was raised, you have a
further 180 days within which to serve summons on MiWay. If you do not serve summons

Seems like they are used to this...

Your telephonic conversation with the assessor, Stefan Share on 21 June 2017 refers. We
confirm having advised of our decision to reject the claim due to, inter alia, the following
reason(s):
No Cover: No visible signs of forced entry into building structure
We wish to refer you to your MiWay Policy in this regard, which states:
We trust that you will appreciate that we are obliged to adhere to the Policy conditions
prevailing at the time of a loss.
In terms of the Policyholder Protection Rules you have not less than 90 days from the date of
this letter to raise an objection with MiWay regarding the decision as set out in this letter.
Once we have dealt with your objection and should you find you are still unhappy with the
outcome, you may contact the Ombudsman for Short-term Insurance at 011 726 8900 or
lodge a complaint at PO Box 32334, Braamfontein, 2017 or fax 011 726 5501 or email
info@osti.co.za.
Please note that the above-mentioned reason(s) for rejection may not necessarily be
exhaustive.
sending it to dispute@miway.co.za
addressing it to Disputes, and either faxing it to 011 990 0001 or posting it to
PostNet Suite #382, Private Bag X121, Halfway House, 1685.
l
l
21 June 2017
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
RICHWOOD
MILNERTON
Correspondence Ref. 390129197
MiBicycle
WHAT AM I NOT COVERED FOR UNDER MiBICYCLE?
- Theft of my bicycle when the bicycle is unattended and not:
- locked inside a vehicle, trailer, caravan, or building structure and there are no
visible signs of forced entry

>>>>" or building structure " <<<

stefan share is hubber?

he used to sell bicycle goods in the classifieds quite often at good prices too

is there gate they need to enter from street to get to the garage? was it closed? locked?

Yes the main gate to the property was locked, the jumped the wall

"Dear Mr Bester

We acknowledge receipt of your dispute below and we confirm that this matter has been allocated to the writer for consideration.

Kindly take note that we respond to each dispute in the order in which it is received"

And still waiting

The main gate to my property was locked and I was home.

Yes the main gate to the property was locked, the jumped the wall

"Dear Mr Bester

We acknowledge receipt of your dispute below and we confirm that this matter has been allocated to the writer for consideration.

Kindly take note that we respond to each dispute in the order in which it is received"

And still waiting

The main gate to my property was locked and I was home.

mmmmm.....so they entered a locked property?

mmmmm.....so they entered a locked property?

I think, when they refer to locked, they refer to the actual building housing the item - not the perimeter.

Can't say with certainty though...