R3000 Reward for the recovery of my stolen bike

JustPaul

If you take a mosey down to the area around Dunoon, I am sure you will spot your bike at some or other stage. I was spinning in gym last week, and my spin-neighbour was telling me of yet another bike-jack on the Tiekiedraai road earlier that morning. This was last Wednesday. Apparently it was a couple guys dropping their cronies off at some bushes to hide, and they would pounce once the riders come past. I ri(o)de there often. I am not sure it is safe anymore. Then there was the lady who got jacked between the Conterman's traffic lights and Richwood. Some oke in his bakkie knocked the ass of his newly acquired stolen property as he fled the scene on the road heading towards Dunoon from Richwood. 

But ja, MiWay, Outsurance, Dial Direct, Budget, Auto & General, Virseker, 1st for Women et al. All a bunch of modern crooks if you ask me. The assessors are paid incentives to repudiate a claim, no matter how sincere or loyal you are. They will actively find any loophole and exploit it. This is why I insure with Santam through a broker.  I told him how I got scammed by Budget who moved me to dial direct and changed my cover to 3rd party to match a quote, and then refused to pay after pranging my car. (read the fine print people!) I gave up trying after 6 months, and now I do everything through a broker. I have not lost a single claim since. Yes, I pay more, but I know what I am paying for, and it sure does not resemble empty promises.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I insure with Santam through a broker.  I told him how I got scammed by Budget who moved me to dial direct and changed my cover to 3rd party to match a quote, and then refused to pay after pranging my car. (read the fine print people!) I gave up trying after 6 months, and now I do everything through a broker. I have not lost a single claim since. Yes, I pay more, but I know what I am paying for, and it sure does not resemble empty promises.

good advise :thumbup:

"We reiterate that the above-mentioned reason(s) for the rejection of the claim may not necessarily be exhaustive and MiWay’s rights herein remain strictly reserved.

Yours faithfully
Hlubi Mehlomakhulu
Dispute Resolution Officer"

If they dont want to settle a small claim like this then what will happen if my wife or I get into a car accident. I got a new bike but now I need to insure it, move both the cars over as well. But with who ? Are all the F@$.. the same ?

"We reiterate that the above-mentioned reason(s) for the rejection of the claim may not necessarily be exhaustive and MiWay’s rights herein remain strictly reserved.

Yours faithfully
Hlubi Mehlomakhulu

If they dont want to settle a small claim like this then what will happen if my wife or I get into a car accident. I got a new bike but now I need to insure it, move both the cars over as well. But with who ? Are all the F@$.. the same ?

Cyclesure! Have paid every claim i have had. 2 stolen bikes and a garmin lost when i left it on the roof of my car after a race. yes, i am an idiot some times.

Without getting into the technicalities it sounds like you have a case to take to the ombud. Expecting someone to lock their garage each and every time they walk in an out while busy with a task is not reasonable. Your policy wording will more than likely refer to you taking reasonable precautions to protect your property and goods, and it sounds like you did. Also, jumping a wall to get into your property is trespassing. So access to your property was not gained due to your negligence - you need to highlight that fact to the ombud.

Feel free to PM me if you need any assistance ;)

Edit to add: Don't despair! You've been through their internal dispute process now so you can now approach the ombud immediately. 

Edited by GrahamS2

Without getting into the technicalities it sounds like you have a case to take to the ombud. Expecting someone to lock their garage each and every time they walk in an out while busy with a task is not reasonable. Your policy wording will more than likely refer to you taking reasonable precautions to protect your property and goods, and it sounds like you did. Also, jumping a wall to get into your property is trespassing. So access to your property was not gained due to your negligence - you need to highlight that fact to the ombud.

Edit to add: Don't despair! You've been through their internal dispute process now so you can now approach the ombud immediately. 

good man!

Thanks man. 

But ja, MiWay, Outsurance, Dial Direct, Budget, Auto & General, Virseker, 1st for Women et al. All a bunch of modern crooks if you ask me. The assessors are paid incentives to repudiate a claim, no matter how sincere or loyal you are. They will actively find any loophole and exploit it. 

Policy wording is a legal contract, and while certain insurers may choose to enforce their policy wording more strictly than others, claim ratios are closely monitored by the statutory actuary and the FSB. The above practices would result in penalties or a loss of license. It's a pretty highly regulated industry in this country.

Policy wording is a legal contract, and while certain insurers may choose to enforce their policy wording more strictly than others, claim ratios are closely monitored by the statutory actuary and the FSB. The above practices would result in penalties or a loss of license. It's a pretty highly regulated industry in this country.

Absolutely!! They don't go out screw people. Loss ratios are more effected by premium increases than claims. Intentionally repudiating claims is not a way making money in the Insurance sector.

But as Graham says, stricter enforcement might be a mandate, but more importantly, stricter policy wording is how they lower their risks and therefore lower their premiums. 

Yours faithfully
Hlubi Mehlomakhulu

Santam.

I have had NO issues with them. They are even pursuing a claim against a third party who drove his truck into my bakkie and then fled the scene. Apparently the oke is uninsured. They have let me know they are not letting this go. All I had to go on was CCTV footage of the event. 18 months later, and I got an update of the process from them last week in the email. All to recover my excess and claim free standing.

This is the first insurance company I have dealt with that really has their clients interests at heart.

Okay, so then they will entangle one in so much wording policies that unless you are a financial or legalese guru, it would be nigh impossible to find every loophole that would allow them to dodge a claim, such as the case in point of the OP. Refusing to pay because your garage door was unlocked, even though the gate was, and the thief jumped the wall? That is stretching policy wording very far in my opinion.

it's the same as Old Mutual refusing to honour a life-policy payout for a widow who's husband was shot to death in Atlantis, because he never disclosed he had diabetes. (he didn't, and after pressure from the public, OM paid, eventually, to save face.)

Policy Wording = Any means possible to repudiate a claim --> Semantics, really

Okay, so then they will entangle one in so much wording policies that unless you are a financial or legalese guru, it would be nigh impossible to find every loophole that would allow them to dodge a claim, such as the case in point of the OP. Refusing to pay because your garage door was unlocked, even though the gate was, and the thief jumped the wall? That is stretching policy wording very far in my opinion.

it's the same as Old Mutual refusing to honour a life-policy payout for a widow who's husband was shot to death in Atlantis, because he never disclosed he had diabetes. (he didn't, and after pressure from the public, OM paid, eventually, to save face.)

Policy Wording = Any means possible to repudiate a claim --> Semantics, really

You're right, that's why it's so important to choose an insurer with simple policy wording or use a broker to protect your interests.

Yours faithfully
Hlubi Mehlomakhulu

I'm with Compendium for my bikes. They are an insurance company run by cyclists.

Fortunately, I have never had to claim, but a friend has and it was a painless and efficient process.